By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Was 3D a bad decision for the 3DS?

Tagged games:

Was 3D a bad decision for the 3DS?

No 118 54.88%

Yes 47 21.86%

The 3DS has bigger problems. 21 9.77%

Nintendo FTW! 16 7.44%

Don't care. 13 6.05%

Total:215

Your argument has a moot point because the 3D is not a mandatory feature. The fact that its there whenever you want it to be win/win situation.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
It wasn't only a bad decision, it was a terrible decision. Let's look at the pros and cons:

+A tiny minority likes the feature.

-The vast majority either doesn't care or dislikes 3D.
-Drove up the production costs of the system and thus the MSRP.
-Huge drain on the battery life.
-Doesn't improve games in any notable way.
-Making it the main selling point (calling the system "3DS") gave the impression that everything is going to be 3D on this handheld. Which is disastrous when you consider how big the demand for 2D gameplay titles is, especially on handhelds and especially when it comes to Nintendo-made games.
-3D led to (sensationalist) negative press.

These are the facts and they are supported by the widespread disinterest in the 3DS and the continuously disappointing sales in America and Europe. Consumers saw so little value in this feature that Nintendo was forced to do a major price drop and run their business at a loss. Nintendo hoped that 3D would be a big asset to their eighth generation handheld, but it became a huge burden. Their focus on 3D is draining their cash reserves.

As for the notion that without 3D the "3DS" would have been seen as just a better DSi, that wouldn't have been a bad thing at all. Remember, people loved the DSi. Selling a better DSi would have been the easiest thing to do for Nintendo and consumers wouldn't have complained. After all, nobody complained that the PS2 was just a better PS1. But people started to complain when the PS3 wasn't just a better PS2, but wanted to be something else, wanted to be much more. The 3DS is pretty similar in that it wanted to make 3D mainstream. Nintendo's goal should have been to make gaming more mainstream.

Rol, if "The vast majority either doesn't care or dislikes 3D" was a verifiable fact you would be able to produce solid statistics and market research to suggest that poor sales are due specifically to that. But you can't. We could just as easily infer that poor western 3DS sales are due to the infringement of smartphone/tablet apps on the Nintendo's traditional portable gaming market. There is about as much evidence out there to support that assertion as any of your own.

I'm not saying your assertions are necessarily wrong, but the fact that te 3DS is struggling in the west certainly doesn't prove them.

I don't think that the inclusion of 3D was a mistake, quite the contrary, it gave the 3DS a way of differentiating itself from smartphones and tablets. In my opinion the two big mistakes were.

1. No second analogue stick on day one (although I don't think anyone would disagree with this).

2. Not providing downloadable 3D feature films from day one.

RolStoppable said:
Lord Ciansworth said:

Rol, if "The vast majority either doesn't care or dislikes 3D" was a verifiable fact you would be able to produce solid statistics and market research to suggest that poor sales are due specifically to that. But you can't. We could just as easily infer that poor western 3DS sales are due to the infringement of smartphone/tablet apps on the Nintendo's traditional portable gaming market. There is about as much evidence out there to support that assertion as any of your own.

I'm not saying your assertions are necessarily wrong, but the fact that te 3DS is struggling in the west certainly doesn't prove them.

What's the difference between Japan and the rest of the world? Do they like 3D much more than anybody else? Unlikely, because Japanese 3DS sales have been poor before the price cut as well.

The basic premise in the video game business is that software sells hardware, so we'll look at that. And lo and behold, Japan has gotten much more quality games than the West so far (quality as in games that have traditionally done well in the respective markets). This seems to be the simplest explanation why 3DS sales in Japan aren't atrocious anymore. The Japanese didn't warm up to 3D, rather they just like the games they are getting now.

The simplest way to prove that the vast majority of people don't care about or dislike 3D are sales (or rather the lack thereof). If people liked 3D, they would buy the 3DS right now. But they don't, even though Nintendo is selling the system below cost.

Of course you can feel free and come up with a "smartphones are cutting into handhelds" theory, but PC gaming has never hurt Nintendo before. Why would it now? And NSMB2 is poised to put the nail in the coffin for this smartphones/tablets theory and expose the idiots who support it for who they are.

Well Rol I agree with you in many ways. I think the 3DS has had poor sales largely due to the fact that the software available for it has been sparse and largely sub-par in the west. While I don't personally believe that smartphones infringe greatly on Nintendo's handheld sales, as I see them as different markets, where I took issue with your point is that, while this is my educated belief, I can't produce tangible evidence to prove that belief. Much as you can't produce hard statistics to support your 'apathy towards 3D' theory.

Quite the contrary, I think there is some evidence, such as 3D TV adoption rates, to prove that western markets will adopt 3D technology, given the right circumstances. I would argue that Nintendo has failed to engineer these circumstances by not producing compelling software that strongly utilises 3D. One such way would be to offer downloadable feature films in 3D, another would be to produce new I.P.s, aimed at the casual market, that make use of the 3D feature, in the same way that Brain Training and Nintendogs made use of the DS's USP, the touch screen. They've done neither.

Have you painted in 3D yet with Colors 3D? Its pretty amazing.

Around the Network

Yes, I think it was. Too soon, 3D isn't very big at all in gaming and loses a lot of appeal on such a small screen. Kudos for an original solution to the imaging dilemma itself but I believe that it won't have helped them one bit in the end.

No.

The price, no 1st party games at launch, lack of dual analog setup, small battery.... those were the bad decisions.

The 3DS is struggling in the west but that doesnt mean it sells bad, it is doing ok but could be better according to Nintendo. It has `mainly to do with lack of (western-oriented-) games. The innovation of the 3DS is not the 3D but the 3d-slider, this makes it unique to other 3D devices and if you don't like the 3D you actually can turn it off so I don't see the problem here...

RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:
No.

The price, no 1st party games at launch, lack of dual analog setup, small battery.... those were the bad decisions.

Price and battery life are direct consequences of 3D, so your answer should be "yes".

3D was mostly software and the hardware could of stayed the same.

Battery is smaller than most smartphones.

Yes, a bigger battery would have increased the price, but removing 3D would have been a very small impact.

They could have done my changes and launched at $199 with quality software and it would have been 100% different.

RolStoppable said:

I thought 3DTV adoption rates are abysmal, hence why Nintendo didn't want to bank on 3D with the Wii U.

3D is just a visual feature, so I don't think that Nintendo could produce such software in the first place. If they could, they would have tried already. People who buy a gaming handheld to watch films are obviously a niche, so that too isn't worth pursuing.

Regarding the DS, its bestselling game could have been done without using any special features at all. What does that tell you? That games are more important to Nintendo's success than gimmicks. The 3DS doesn't need to prove that 3D is worth it. Nintendo just needs to make games and the sooner they stop trying to sell 3D at all costs, the better.

First off, of course Nintendo is capable of producing software that utilises a visual effect. After all, the move from 2D to 3D in the mid-90s was " just a visual" effect, but they were able to produce software that capitalised on this capability. Secondly, you have absolutely no idea how 3D feature films would sell on a 3DS, or whether its worth pursuing or not.

Regarding the DS's software library, let's take a look at the system's top selling games:

1. New Super Mario Bros. - Doesn't use touch screen

2. Nintendogs - Touchscreen integral to gameplay

3. Mario Kart DS - Doesn't use touch screen

4. Brain Training - Touch screen integral to gameplay.

You see where this is going?

The inclusion of the touch screen was hugely important to the DS's success and to claim otherwise is to rewrite sales history to support some half-baked notions about what makes Nintendo consoles sell. The DS and Wii have proved that gameplay "gimmicks" are integral to how the company does business and wins consumers.