By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft set to launch $99 4GB 360 + Kinect bundle next week in the US.

NotStan said:
Euphoria14 said:
NotStan said:
Also to those complaining about the $15 fee need to GTFO America and live in UK for few months, my phone contract in itself is 21 pounds or around $35 and i barely get anything with it, bottom line is, 15 a month is not THAT much at all, calling it a scam is blowing it out of proportion, by a good amount, as around $5 alone of that would probably account for gold membership.

Don't even get me started on the constant bitching about "gas" prices.

Yeah, I do want to live in the UK for a few months. For (2) phones I pay $150/month.

I would love to pay $70 instead.

As I said, my contract is an absolute minimum, I got a poor phone with it a year ago(Had to buy a new one with my own money), still paying it, all I get is unlimited text, 200 minutes and 100MB of Data for £21 a month. If I were to get a new phone - iPhone 4S/HTC one etc would be in the region of £37-39, model of the phone and the contract details increase the price of course. But the standard fee for a NEW, recently released phone would be about £150 - $250 up front and £35 - $60 a month thereafter for 24 months.

Mine is 500 minutes split between (2) phones, 200MB data per phone, 200 messages per month for one phone and 1000 for the other. This is old rates and the reason only (1) phone has 1000 messages is because I got that deal when it was still available.

If you get the cheapest plan now and for just (1) phone it would be $49.99 for 500 minutes per month, then $20 on top of that for 300MB data and your given the minimum of (200) messages for around $5. You want unlimited? Pay an additional $15-20.

So for me to get the bare minimum it costs me ~$80 per month. To get something similar to yours, meaning with unlimited messages, I would be paying ~$100 per month. Then after that you have to add extra costs for taxes and fees, so your really looking at ~$90-$110 per month for (1) device.

Want a second device? No problem, just pay $20 for the second line, then $20 for the 300MB data and $5 for the messages, or just pay $30 to get unlimited messaging on both devices.

If it's a new contract and you want an iPhone, add $200-$300 up front cost to that for the device and then an extra $36 for activation fee. Yes, we need to pay a fee for them to activate a device they sold to us, for their service, just for us to pay them money monthly. This goes for each phone, so if you have (2) then you pay $72 in fees on top of the costs for each new phone.

I want your rates, lol!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
NotStan said:
Euphoria14 said:
NotStan said:
Also to those complaining about the $15 fee need to GTFO America and live in UK for few months, my phone contract in itself is 21 pounds or around $35 and i barely get anything with it, bottom line is, 15 a month is not THAT much at all, calling it a scam is blowing it out of proportion, by a good amount, as around $5 alone of that would probably account for gold membership.

Don't even get me started on the constant bitching about "gas" prices.

Yeah, I do want to live in the UK for a few months. For (2) phones I pay $150/month.

I would love to pay $70 instead.

As I said, my contract is an absolute minimum, I got a poor phone with it a year ago(Had to buy a new one with my own money), still paying it, all I get is unlimited text, 200 minutes and 100MB of Data for £21 a month. If I were to get a new phone - iPhone 4S/HTC one etc would be in the region of £37-39, model of the phone and the contract details increase the price of course. But the standard fee for a NEW, recently released phone would be about £150 - $250 up front and £35 - $60 a month thereafter for 24 months.

Mine is 500 minutes split between (2) phones, 200MB data per phone, 200 messages per month for one phone and 1000 for the other. This is old rates and the reason only (1) phone has 1000 messages is because I got that deal when it was still available.

If you get the cheapest plan now and for just (1) phone it would be $49.99 for 500 minutes per month, then $20 on top of that for 300MB data and your given the minimum of (200) messages for around $5. You want unlimited? Pay an additional $15-20.

So for me to get the bare minimum it costs me ~$80 per month. To get something similar to yours, meaning with unlimited messages, I would be paying ~$100 per month. Then after that you have to add extra costs for taxes and fees, so your really looking at ~$90-$110 per month for (1) device.

If it's a new contract and you want an iPhone, add $200-$300 up front cost to that for the device and then an extra $36 for activation fee. Yes, we need to pay a fee for them to activate a device they sold to us, for their service, just for us to pay them money monthly.

It's more or less similar situation in the UK, the only way to get a cheaper contract is by buying the device on pay as you go, which means paying around £350-400 or even up to £550 for a new iPhone, then the smaller fee on top. Admittedly the unlimited text tarrifs are more common here and you can get them as low as $20, but the minutes and data will bump up the contract price. There is no activation fee (I don't think so), but there is a pretty high unlock fee if you want it on another network.

What hardware did you get with that contract?

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Mistershine said:
Everyone seems to assume it's going to be a contract similar to a mobile phone. It may be a credit agreement. After 2 years it's done. You don't need to phone the bank to cancel your loan payments when you've paid it off do you?

The way some of you jump to unneccesary conclusions it makes me suspect you may be women. :p

That was so fucking awesome, I almost sprayed my monitor with coffee.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

NotStan said:
Euphoria14 said:

If it's a new contract and you want an iPhone, add $200-$300 up front cost to that for the device and then an extra $36 for activation fee. Yes, we need to pay a fee for them to activate a device they sold to us, for their service, just for us to pay them money monthly.

It's more or less similar situation in the UK, the only way to get a cheaper contract is by buying the device on pay as you go, which means paying around £350-400 or even up to £550 for a new iPhone, then the smaller fee on top. Admittedly the unlimited text tarrifs are more common here and you can get them as low as $20, but the minutes and data will bump up the contract price. There is no activation fee (I don't think so), but there is a pretty high unlock fee if you want it on another network.

Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate). I got it almost 2 years ago as my plan is up in September.

I am currently undecided as to whether I want to get a new phone with a new plan or just say "Fuck it" and go with a prepaid since I barely call anyone to begin with and I have my WiFi devices hooked up to my work WiFi and my home WiFi, so I really don't need data plans.

Crappy prepaid phone and an iTouch. That should suit me well right?

My other option is Metro PCS which is $50 per phone for unlimited everything, but the phone selections suck and most of them are quite ugly and you have to pay for them up front.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
NotStan said:
Euphoria14 said:

Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate). I got it almost 2 years ago as my plan is up in September.

I am currently undecided as to whether I want to get a new phone with a new plan or just say "Fuck it" and go with a prepaid since I barely call anyone to begin with and I have my WiFi devices hooked up to my work WiFi and my home WiFi, so I really don't need data plans.

My other option is Metro PCS which is $50 per phone for unlimited everything, but the phone selections suck and most of them are quite ugly and you have to pay for them up front.

The prices are practically the same, Galaxy S was a top line model 2 years ago wasn't it?  So when people still pay such extortionate prices, why are people kicking up such a fuss about $15 a month? It's weird these forums, had it been Sony introducing this type of scheme, it'd be a blessing sent to the poor, who are not able to afford the consoles on their own.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
disolitude said:
99 + 15 per month over 2 years is 459 dollars
299 + 100 for XBL gold 2 year membership is 399

I have to see how this plays out, but as it stands it doesn't look all that hot to me. Only if the subscription includes a Zune pass/Woodstock whatever pass and some extras is it worth it.

Shouldn't that be $459 or $419? I thought Gold was raised to $60/year. With that it is like paying an additional $40 or so for an extra years warranty coverage (360 no longer is 3-years standard right?).

Considering you get to pay this all off over the course of 2 years, this deal seems really good to me, even if you could save an extra $20-30 by getting Live sub cards.

An additional year warranty would be $60, if you bought one separately.

It's a rip off.
There are ways to pay a monthly fee without going into a contract with Microsoft.

Anyway if you can't shell out enough money for a 360, you probably should be commit yourself to a contract.

KylieDog said:
disolitude said:

I have to see how this plays out, but as it stands it doesn't look all that hot to me. Only if the subscription includes a Zune pass/Woodstock whatever pass and some extras is it worth it.

But every XBL Gold defender will tell you nobody pays over $30 for Gold.

I've never seen it at 30 bucks. Lowest I've seen it is 39.99. 49.99 is a fair price that can be found when its on sale somewhere every month. 59.99 is standard price...

binary solo said:
disolitude said:

Well I think most peole are gonna see $99 and jump in. It's like getting a "free" iPhone, but really paying it off over 2 years with a massively expensive 2-year plan. People jump at the free iPhone and worry about the monthlies later.

Great move by MS I say.

It's pretty funny seeing people overreact here. There are so many unknowns for guys superchunk to conclude that this will be a definite ripoff. Even on face value, this isn't that bad as some people her are screaming it is. Pay 200 less upfront, but 40 dollars more over 2 years time. 

However the questions I have are:

1. Will this include the new music streaming service. I pay 9.99 for Zune every month.

2. Is price of Gold going up? A lot of new content is pouring in to XBL and we could be seeing a new tier of XBL gold that includes PVR like features and cable TV service. 

3. Whats the cancelation fee? If it's just the remaining price of the console - months remaining(like most cell phone companies here in Canada), this is a solid deal. If its like 200 bucks, at any point during the 2 year contract...this sucks.

I'd say wait for e3 before you say this is a good or bad deal but you have to hand it to microsoft for moving the console business model to avenues where it hasn't been before.

NotStan said:
Euphoria14 said:
NotStan said:
Euphoria14 said:

The prices are practically the same, Galaxy S was a top line model 2 years ago wasn't it?  So when people still pay such extortionate prices, why are people kicking up such a fuss about $15 a month? It's weird these forums, had it been Sony introducing this type of scheme, it'd be a blessing sent to the poor, who are not able to afford the consoles on their own.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal here either.

Currently playing: