By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to have Android OS rumored

I won't take this with a grain of salt, I just completely know it isn't in any case true.

Around the Network

Suddenly! I am seeing potential in SuperGnes.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

VGKing said:
I doubt it. Android is made for mobile tablets and phones.....Wii U is a console so it wouldn't work on a HDTV very well.

This makes no sense what so ever.

What do you think GoogleTV uses?

This is a great idea. You would have tons of applications and games and this would put tue Wii U in the minds of the mass market. Books, Apps, games, social media, Nintendo games, all in one device. The idea is so great that I am sure Nintendo is not going to do it.

This is doubtful. Nintendo never gives a third party company such control over their hardware. I could see it as plausible if Google approached Nintendo and designed a custom Android OS for WiiU however it is highly doubtful. An option people might not be thinking of, what if Nintendo made WiiU comparable with Android devices? Maybe the Android OS isn't being used as Nintendo's rather that you could take an Android tablet or phone and sync them to the console. Allowing you to interact with your console through Android devices. Think an app like PocketBlu allowing you to interact with your console and games with an Android phone or tablet?

Android compatibility could be massive. Being able to transfer music, books, movies and games from your Android device to your WiiU. Nintendo may even allow third party Android tablets to be used as WiiU controllers.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Yeah not gonna happen. Android is way too open to put it on a console!

sensebringer said:
This is a great idea. You would have tons of applications and games and this would put tue Wii U in the minds of the mass market. Books, Apps, games, social media, Nintendo games, all in one device. The idea is so great that I am sure Nintendo is not going to do it.

this

although if they did do it and actually made it easy for developers to port between Wii U's OS and other versions of android, then that is one HELL of a way to start the next gen!

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

gumby_trucker said:
sensebringer said:

this

although if they did do it and actually made it easy for developers to port between Wii U's OS and other versions of android, then that is one HELL of a way to start the next gen!

If Nintendo was more open with their Hardware the Wii U could become the ultimate entertainment center.

The Wii U has a tablet controller. When I think about tablets the word apps comes to my mind. People at home can use the TV while you read a book using the Kindle app on the Wii U controller. You finish your book and start playing some Angry birds. Your family stops using the TV and you switch to the TV to play some Super Smash Bros. Wii U or to watch a movie on Netflix.

The ultimate entertainment center.   

sensebringer said:
gumby_trucker said:
sensebringer said:

this

If Nintendo was more open with their Hardware the Wii U could become the ultimate entertainment center.

The Wii U has a tablet controller. When I think about tablets the word apps comes to my mind. People at home can use the TV while you read a book using the Kindle app on the Wii U controller. You finish your book and start playing some Angry birds. Your family stops using the TV and you switch to the TV to play some Super Smash Bros. Wii U or to watch a movie on Netflix.

The ultimate entertainment center.   

The main problem with that is that as long as the tablet isn't actually running the apps, there is a limit to how much you can do with it on its own.

I don't know what technology Nintendo are using to stream the information from the console, but there is certainly a fairly limited range to it.

The best option of course would be to allow piggybacking of this stream on home Wifi networks with sufficient bandwidth, but this is something that as you said is too good for Nintendo to support it

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

It wouldn't be surprised either way ...

Being that Nintendo would (likely) run a customized version of it to increase security, it is likely that they would always be months behind the latest version; but using the Android OS would make it a lot easier for Nintendo to open up their platform for small developers. After all, if Angry Birds only needs a couple weeks of porting and testing before it is submitted to an approval process to get added to Nintendo's app store, a lot more developers would be willing to deal with that than if they have to build a game from the ground up.