By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - TSA stops 4 year old terrorist

Tagged games:

WICHITA, Kan. (AP/The Blaze) — The grandmother of a 4-year-old girl who became hysterical during a security screening at a Kansas airport says security agents forced her to undergo a pat-down, and even yelled at the child and called her an uncooperative suspect.

The incident has been attracting increasing media and online attention since the child’s mother, Michelle Brademeyer of Montana, detailed the ordeal in a public Facebook post last week. The Transportation Security Administration says its agents followed proper screening procedures.

The child’s grandmother, Lori Croft, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that mother and daughter initially passed through security at Wichita’s airport without incident. But then the child ran to briefly hug Croft, who was awaiting a pat-down after tripping the alarm.

That’s when TSA agents insisted the child undergo a physical pat-down.

Gawker adds more details:

According to Brademeyer, a TSO “began yelling” at Izzy and ordered her to wait for a pat-down. She was prevented from approaching her mother, and told to “come to them, alone, and spread her arms and legs.” Frightened, Izzy screamed “I don’t want to” and bolted. She was returned to the security area, but not before a TSO threatened to shut down the airport and cancel all flights if Izzy was not restrained.[...]

While the pat-down was being administered, Izzy, who “did not want to stand still and let strangers touch her,” was ordered by a TSO to stop crying.

This is how the mother described what happened after the order not to cry:

When my scared child could not do so, two TSOs called for backup saying “The suspect is not cooperating.” The suspect, of course, being a frightened child. They treated my daughter no better than if she had been a terrorist.

Isabella had just learned about “stranger danger” at school, her grandmother said, adding that the girl was afraid and unsure about what was going on.

“She started to cry, saying ‘No I don’t want to,’ and when we tried talking to her she ran,” Croft said. “They yelled, ‘We are going to shut down the airport if you don’t grab her.’”

But she said the family’s main concern was the lack of understanding from TSA agents that they were dealing with a 4-year-old child, not a terror suspect.

“There was no common sense and there was no compassion,” Croft said. “That was our biggest fault with the whole thing — not that they are following security procedures, because I understand that they have to do that.”

Brademeyer, of Missoula, Mont., wrote a public Facebook post last week about the April 15 incident, claiming TSA treated her daughter “no better than if she had been a terrorist.” The posting was taken down Wednesday. Another post said the family had filed formal complaints with the TSA and the airport.

The TSA released a statement Tuesday saying it explained to the family why additional security procedures were necessary and that agents didn’t suspect or suggest the child was carrying a firearm.

“TSA has reviewed the incident and determined that our officers followed proper screening procedures in conducting a modified pat-down on the child,” the agency said.

The statement noted that the agency recently implemented modified screening procedures for children age 12 and younger to further reduce the need for pat-downs of children, such as multiple passes through a metal detector and advanced imaging technology.

“These changes in protocol will ultimately reduce — though not eliminate — pat-downs of children,” the statement said. “In this case, however, the child had completed screening but had contact with another member of her family who had not completed the screening process.”

In a phone interview from her home in Fountain Valley, Calif., Croft said Brademeyer tried to no avail to get TSA agents to use a wand on the frightened girl or allow her to walk through the metal detector again. She also said TSA agents wanted to screen her granddaughter alone in a separate room.

“She was kicking and screaming and fighting and in hysterics,” Croft said. “At that point my daughter ran up to her against TSA‘s orders because she said ’my daughter is terrified, I can’t leave her.’”

The incident went on for maybe 10 minutes, until a manager came in and allowed agents to pat the girl down while she was screaming but being held by her mother. The family was then allowed to go to their next gate with a TSA agent following them.

Croft said that for the first few nights after coming home, Isabelle had nightmares and talked about kidnappers. She said TSA agents had shouted at the girl, telling her to calm down and saying the suspect is not cooperating.

“To a 4-year-old‘s perspective that’s what it was to her because they didn’t explain anything and she did not know what was going on,” Croft said. “She saw people grabbing at her and raising their voices. To her, someone was trying to kidnap her or harm her in some way.”

this just makes me ferious. this made no one safer, the TSA makes no one safer, and only takes away freedom. we need to get rid of the TSA, and do what the San Francisco airport does, and what israel does. we need to be inteligent, we need to profile, etc. this girl clearly was no threat. i just feel like punching something after hearing this, im so mad.

Around the Network

I hate reading stories like these. I feel for the girl and her parents but I also understand what the agent were doing and I'm sure they weren't enjoying doing that to a little girl either. It's just sad that we have to do stuff like this to people.

Roaring at a 4 year old girl? f****** pussies!

Kids are scary.

Edit:

Just noticed the tagged game.

Haha Rapelay

Around the Network

Country of liberty.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Ugh, this country is giving me more and more reasons to move to Canada..

miz1q2w3e said:
I hate reading stories like these. I feel for the girl and her parents but I also understand what the agent were doing and I'm sure they weren't enjoying doing that to a little girl either. It's just sad that we have to do stuff like this to people.

You DON'T have to do this stuff to people. Here are two questions for you:

1- How many terrorists have been caught due to groping 4-year olds, or 90-year olds, or 30-year olds for that matter? How has that helped?

2- Do planes keep falling down from the skies in countries that don't grope people before they enter a plane?

If a big proportion of the American public believes that things like these are necessary, then the U.S. is truly becoming a country full of pussies. One or two terrorist attacks is all it took?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Next in line, TSA will start groping newborn babies, because those diapers have the potential of being major bomb threats.

And in a more serious tone: If they did that to my 4-year old daughter/son, I would sue their asses off, no matter what it take and how much it costed me. The complete lack of any kind of rational thinking and common sense with some people that just use the shield of "authority" to do these kind of inhuman things shouldn't be left unchecked.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Honestly I think it's worth a few planes exploding at this point to not have TSA type security.

It doesn't protect against sufficiently determined people (example: pay off an agent, or put the item somewhere an external search won't find).

By allowing ourselves to be terrorised by the possibility of an attack, we are giving them what they want. If 9/11 had happened and everyone had just ignored it and got on with their lives fast, there would be no reason to try it again. It's "our" fault for reacting hysterically and having all these measures. (I lived in the US at the time of 9/11. As a foreigner, it was extremely scary seeing how irrational Americans were reacting).