By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom equates 3D Mario with poison

Do you want more Super Mario Bros.?

Yes, I am smart. 94 75.81%

No, I am an idiot. 16 12.90%

No, I want Nintendo to fail. 13 10.48%

Total:123

Because this is your thread, Rol, and I know you have an affinity for Malstrom, I'll hold my tongue regarding my opinion of him. I will say, however, that in typical Malstrom fashion, he again proves why he's like the worst kind of politician: Off to one side with ridiculously extreme views.

First, what I agree with: Pretty much everything he says about Super Mario Bros and the influence it has had on all of gaming, just as Pac Man did before it and Wii Sports did after it.

What is completely biased and one sided, however, is that he refuses to give 3D Mario, particularly Super Mario 64, its due credit with how much it too has influenced gaming. Mario 64 obviously wasn't the very first 3D platform game ever created (Jumping Flash, anyone?), same way SMB wasn't the very first 2D platformer, either (that would be Pitfall). What both of those Mario games in fact did, was show us how these genres could be incredibly fun and amazingly well done. And while I will be the first to agree that SMB has had more influence on gaming than SM64, there are plenty of examples, from basic clones like Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, all the way to other 3rd person, camera controlled games like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid and Assassin's Creed, that have come to be simply because of how successful an endeavor SM64 was in 3D game design.

Basically, it just comes down to the fact that Malstrom prefers 2D Mario to 3D Mario, and continues to quickly point to sales every time to back up his argument of why one is right and the other is wrong. If it came down to it, I'd side with 2D Mario as well, as SMW 1 & 2 and SMB 1-3 are my favorite platformers of all time. But as long as Nintendo continues to give us excellent entries like the Galaxy games (both of which I prefer to NSMB Wii, by the way), there is no reason why we can't have both.

Around the Network

I agree with him in terms of Nintendo not having their priorities straight.
The fact that there were 2 Galaxy games was proof of that.

In the 3DS' case, not starting off with a 2D Mario is almost insane considering the last NSMB sold more than 26 million copies. Any other company would have made that a launch title if given the chance. NSMB vaulted Wii sales into the stratosphere and sold boatloads.

No one is denying 3D Mario's influence on gaming...but in a business sense they should never make one of those before a 2D game. A 2D Mario at launch (2012) and then another one 3-4 years later would keep Wii U sales from the vicious decline that the Wii saw after 2010.

SM64 was an excellent game, as was Ocarina of Time. Notice though that no 3D Mario has been able to touch the sales of SM64 since...For Zelda, OOT was only recently beaten due to Twilight Princess being released on 2 systems. Something is up with the 3D.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

i prefer mario in 3d than in 2d, mario 2d is more arcade fast action, while 3d is more about exploration, deeper experience imo
just cause it sellls more doesnt mean its better

N64 and the gamecube X No 2D super mario bros = Sales failure.
Nintendo's priority on a new console should be a new 2d super mario bros.
I don't care if miyamoto is bored of developing them. It's people like me who are important. While nintendo is at it make a 2D zelda game like the very first one. And don't make another MOM

Malestrom, this guy is an extremist in most cases.
Anyway i kinda agree with him in here. A really succesful games will spawn similar ones. But 2d platformer genre isnt that great anymore, or not to developers, in mostly of the cases only coming in the form of small games and Ninty itself, so even if we did have a new SMB i doubt we would see Ninja Gaiden backing to its roots, capcom giving another megaman, another rayman game or Contra making a Big comeback. But might had influence in the return and spawn of some platformes on the wii.

Yet i dont agree with his 2d-3d mario argument. It sold well, it moved systems, but theirs a limit of what you can gain when you make a big pricecut like that so suddenly.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
archbrix said:
Because this is your thread, Rol, and I know you have an affinity for Malstrom, I'll hold my tongue regarding my opinion of him. I will say, however, that in typical Malstrom fashion, he again proves why he's like the worst kind of politician: Off to one side with ridiculously extreme views.

First, what I agree with: Pretty much everything he says about Super Mario Bros and the influence it has had on all of gaming, just as Pac Man did before it and Wii Sports did after it.

What is completely biased and one sided, however, is that he refuses to give 3D Mario, particularly Super Mario 64, its due credit with how much it too has influenced gaming. Mario 64 obviously wasn't the very first 3D platform game ever created (Jumping Flash, anyone?), same way SMB wasn't the very first 2D platformer, either (that would be Pitfall). What both of those Mario games in fact did, was show us how these genres could be incredibly fun and amazingly well done. And while I will be the first to agree that SMB has had more influence on gaming than SM64, there are plenty of examples, from basic clones like Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, all the way to other 3rd person, camera controlled games like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid and Assassin's Creed, that have come to be simply because of how successful an endeavor SM64 was in 3D game design.

Basically, it just comes down to the fact that Malstrom prefers 2D Mario to 3D Mario, and continues to quickly point to sales every time to back up his argument of why one is right and the other is wrong. If it came down to it, I'd side with 2D Mario as well, as SMW 1 & 2 and SMB 1-3 are my favorite platformers of all time. But as long as Nintendo continues to give us excellent entries like the Galaxy games (both of which I prefer to NSMB Wii, by the way), there is no reason why we can't have both.

Most of the hate Malstrom gets is because people are oblivious to a lot of his other blog posts, so they just assume he is an extremist. He actually doesn't want 3D Mario to be gone completely. What he wants is that Super Mario Bros. and 3D Mario should remain two separate series and also AAA treatment for Super Mario Bros.

But when you consider the absence of a Super Mario Bros. announcement and what Super Mario 3D Land was, it's quite obvious that the game was meant to absorb Super Mario Bros.; Miyamoto's outspoken love for 3D Mario and distaste for Super Mario Bros. only strengthens this belief. It's not Malstrom who is the evil being here, it's Nintendo who wishes that one of these two series ceases to exist.

Like you say, there is no reason why we can't have both. Neither is there a reason why these two series cannot co-exist. It's just developers inside Nintendo, specifically Miyamoto, who do not wish to make certain games for purely selfish reasons. When Super Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii were announced at E3 2009, it didn't hurt either game. But on the 3DS we got the situation that Super Mario Bros. was announced during an investor's briefing without showing any screenshots or a trailer. It is as if there were no plans to even make this game, despite NSMB selling more than 25m copies on the DS.

Co-existence is perfectly possible, but it looks like somebody is vehemently against this idea. Malstrom wouldn't attack Super Mario 3D Land at all, if Super Mario Bros. got the treatment it rightfully deserves. But as long as there is a problem, he won't shut up on this issue. And it clearly is an issue; not just for gamers, but also for Nintendo as a business.

With "same threatment" what do you mean time, number of releases, graphics?

I'm not sure the sales would be as amplified as you believe they would be by a bi-annual release system for both machines. if NSMB DS had had a sequel released 2 years after it, NSMB DS would have nearly stopped selling at that point. After 2 years on the market, it had sold between 13 million and 14 million. Say the total for the game would be 17 million when all is said and done. That's a bit over half of what NSMB DS seems to end up with.

Now, is it likely to assume that as many people would purchase the sequel? If Nintendo's other franchises are anything to go by, no, it isn't. Every single main-line sequel on a system has sold less than the previous one did in their main franchises. It's true for 3D Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid and Big Brain Academy, as well as sort of for Wii Fit and Kirby. Nintendo's sequels on the same system simply don't sell as much as the first one did.

Which means you're looking at lower sales for the two 2D Super Marios you're going to release on the system. Possibly a lot lower, possibly a bit. Still, you're not going to end anywhere near having 3 30-million selling 2D Marios. The grand total of the 3 wll obviously exceed 30 million - and probably 40 -  but I seriously doubt  it's going to be the gigantic increase over a single release you're making it out to be.

One of the things that we've seen very clearly with the 7th gen, is that Nintendo sequels on the same system are sales-wise misses.

the_dengle said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

It was more like 15 years without a real 2D Mario. 

What Naughty Dog works are you refering to?  Crash and the first Jak took after 2D Mario(It's just traversing Z and Y axis with pretty 3d graphics instead of X in Y axis in 2d though they switch to that perspective pretty often too).  Jak 2 & 3 took more from GTA 3 than 3D mario.  

DarkSiders is far more like God of War than Zelda. God of War takes after DMC not Zelda. Do you play these games or just think anything with a 3d avatar running around and jumping has something to do with Mario 64 or running around in 3d slashing things means it's Zelda? 

The actual span of time is pretty much irrelevant, but it depends on what you consider a "real 2D Mario" game. Yoshi's island came out in '95; NSMB in '06. SML2 in '92. So it's either 11 or 14 years.

As for Darksiders, I dug up this old interview on Google:

Inc Gamers: What did you guys make of the Zelda comparisons that various people made to the first Darksiders?

Marvin Donald: We’re honoured by it, we’re huge fans of Zelda. Those games are definitely an inspiration for the kind of work that we do. We like their style of dungeons, puzzle solving and general pacing and we think [the comparison] is a very positive thing.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. As for Naughty Dog, that was mostly just speculation on my part. They were making 3D platformers around the time Super Mario 64 came out, and as their first game wasn't tremendously well-received, it's not a stretch to think they would have studied what Nintendo did. See what they could learn from Mario, and apply that to their next games. GTA3 came out in 2001; Crash 2 and 3 were released before it.

The crash games where 2.5 rather than 3D , also there was an interview , about the time the crash series was having great succes in Japan , and co founders  , Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin said no matter their success , they would all ways be chasing Miyamoto .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pineapple said:

I'm not sure the sales would be as amplified as you believe they would be by a bi-annual release system for both machines. if NSMB DS had had a sequel released 2 years after it, NSMB DS would have nearly stopped selling at that point. After 2 years on the market, it had sold between 13 million and 14 million. Say the total for the game would be 17 million when all is said and done. That's a bit over half of what NSMB DS seems to end up with.

Now, is it likely to assume that as many people would purchase the sequel? If Nintendo's other franchises are anything to go by, no, it isn't. Every single main-line sequel on a system has sold less than the previous one did in their main franchises. It's true for 3D Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid and Big Brain Academy, as well as sort of for Wii Fit and Kirby. Nintendo's sequels on the same system simply don't sell as much as the first one did.

Which means you're looking at lower sales for the two 2D Super Marios you're going to release on the system. Possibly a lot lower, possibly a bit. Still, you're not going to end anywhere near having 3 30-million selling 2D Marios. The grand total of the 3 wll obviously exceed 30 million - and probably 40 -  but I seriously doubt  it's going to be the gigantic increase over a single release you're making it out to be.

One of the things that we've seen very clearly with the 7th gen, is that Nintendo sequels on the same system are sales-wise misses.

Really that seems to apply to any same-franchise release on Wii, except Call of Duty (see NMH1 vs NMH2, Red Steel vs Red Steel 2)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
NintendoPie said:
RolStoppable said:

First and foremost, it's about awesomeness. It isn't so much about the sales of the games that spawned, but the fact that they did spawn, because there was a market for them. Not all games will succeed (or on the same scale), the main point is that they are being made.

Well, isn't "awesomeness" a person's opinion, not a fact? If you scale games upon that "awesomeness" scale then you can have no real winner.

It isn't really a contest though. It's basically large parts of the 8- and 16-bit era versus virtually nothing in modern times. 3D platformers are extinct aside from first party games.

True, though first party 3D Platformers are good. SMG for a perfect example.