By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some common sense for Sony Fanboys.....

sorry if already posted since it is 2 days old but here it is anyway since i couldn't find a topicon it

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/bluray-to-unlock-true-value-of-ps3-accelerate-sales-price-cut-by-yearend/19030/?biz=

We spoke to four leading analysts to find out what impact the Warner Bros. Blu-ray deal will really have on PS3. Also, Michael Pachter believes another PS3 price cut will be in place by the end of '08.

Posted by James Brightman on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

With Warner Bros. (and associated companies like New Line and HBO) committing exclusively to Blu-ray the format war seems to be nearing the end with a likely victory for Blu-ray. Assuming that's the case, we were wondering how much this would boost PS3 sales (if at all). Did Sony's gamble on a proprietary format finally pay off?

GameDaily BIZ got in touch with several leading game industry analysts to get their two cents on the potential fallout of the Warner deal, as it concerns the console war.

Mike Hickey of Janco Partners seems to believe the impact of a Blu-ray victory could be quite substantial. "We believe Warner's exclusive support for Blu-ray will eventually prove to be the determining 'win' in the current high definition DVD format war. We expect Sony's PS3 product will benefit from an eventual consumer and retail awakening of Blu-ray as the winning high definition format. If Blu-ray can win the current format war, the true value of the PS3 can be unlocked, and will likely lead to an acceleration of PS3 sales," he said.

Hickey continued, "Increased PS3 sales and subsequent installed base growth will motivate 3rd party game developers as the market opportunity for them increases, which should lead to better relative software offerings. We believe the Warner exclusive Blu-ray news is good for the PS3, 3rd party game developers/publishers, and the video game industry as a whole."

Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities thinks it's an important win, but the real impact won't be felt for some time since 1080p HDTV penetration is still fairly low. He does believe, however, that by the end of this year we'll start seeing a spike and that Sony will likely cut the price on PS3 by then as well.

"Phil Rosenberg [Senior Vice President, Sales and Business Development, SCEA] said at a conference that something around 70 – 80 percent of PS2 owners used the console as their first DVD player. The same will likely be true of PS3/Blu-ray," Pachter said. "The difference this time is that you can't enjoy the full experience unless you have a 1080p TV, and we are still below 10 percent penetration. I think as overall HDTV penetration crosses 50 percent of households (probably late this year), Blu-ray will become more relevant, and PS3 will have an advantage."

He added, "So look for a spike late this year, likely coinciding with another price cut."

Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets is encouraged by the Warner deal as well and believes it will eventually help PS3 push more hardware. "Blu-ray has clearly gained momentum, and the upper hand, and the Warner announcement also provides a boost to the format, as well as for the advocates of Blu-ray as a standard. That said, locking up the suppliers of content and hardware manufacturers is only part of the equation. Consumers also must decide that they need a Blu-ray player, which seems more and more likely as prices decline," he said. "As for the PS3, it definitely can't hurt, despite the fact that gamers early in this console cycle have shown a preference for simple and more intuitive experiences (Wii and DS) over the traditional video games. But as the next-gen games continue to improve, and hardware prices reach more reasonable levels, I think we will see a better uptake of the PS3."

Finally, DFC Intelligence's David Cole noted that it's games, of course, that will be the ultimate determinant in the console wars. Blu-ray just happens to be a bonus for PS3 owners.

"I don't think Blu-ray alone is enough to get people to commit to a game platform," cautioned Cole. "However, if consumers are trying to decide between a game platform and they feel both are fairly equal in terms of games, then I think Blu-ray could be the swinging factor for the PS3. Nevertheless, the key factor is games. I don't think Blu-ray would ever be a swinging factor as big as say a game like Halo 3. The biggest boost for PS3 sales will most likely be 1) lower price; 2) more exclusive game software and only after that Blu-ray."

Around the Network

ummm okay?

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

People need to realize that the format war is potentially more valuable to Sony than the video game market. Controlling the victorious format, if it becomes the dominant format, would ensure Sony huge profits year-on-year for a long while. Once established, there is no risk, no ongoing cost, etc. It's just profit.

It doesn't matter if that doesn't sell PS3s. What matters is how many BDs sell compared to DVDs.

TheBigFatJ said:
People need to realize that the format war is potentially more valuable to Sony than the video game market. Controlling the victorious format, if it becomes the dominant format, would ensure Sony huge profits year-on-year for a long while. Once established, there is no risk, no ongoing cost, etc. It's just profit.

It doesn't matter if that doesn't sell PS3s. What matters is how many BDs sell compared to DVDs.

Oh i know it is just that many have claimed that this will grealtboost PS3 sales.....which i do not see happening.

I think Blu-ray winning the Format war Wont affect the PS3's sales in anyway,The average consumer looks at the playstation name as a gaming platform...Not a movie player...thats even how i look at the ps3 i look at blu-ray as a bonus

Around the Network

How many people think the PS2 would have done so well if it didn’t play DVD’s? How about if it’s storage was the same as the PS1, a CD, while the xbox played DVD’s (and used them for their games)?

Trust me, it makes a difference.

MrMafoo said:

How many people think the PS2 would have done so well if it didn’t play DVD’s? How about if it’s storage was the same as the PS1, a CD, while the xbox played DVD’s (and used them for their games)?

Trust me, it makes a difference.

How successful would have the N64 have been had Nintendo choosen to use the brand new DVD format? At (over) 10 times the capacity of a CD it wouldn't have had the multi-disc problem that plagued the Playstation, and the games would have been able to have far more high quality textures, sounds and videos. Unfortunately the N64 would have cost $600 ...

As you can infer, just because a format will eventually dominate and be an excellent inclusion on a system it doesn't mean that it is always a good inclusion.

I agree with MrMafoo. It will make a difference. People want value. "Wow did you know the PS3 is a console and a Blu Ray Player - That is great Value" or vice versa - "Did you know the Ps3 is a Blu Ray Player and Plays Games (good for the kids)". It's going to boost sales because people want a good product with features that cater for more than one use.

Lets not forget how popular the ps1 was because it played CD's. I was wrapped.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

finalsquall said:
I agree with MrMafoo. It will make a difference. People want value. "Wow did you know the PS3 is a console and a Blu Ray Player - That is great Value" or vice versa - "Did you know the Ps3 is a Blu Ray Player and Plays Games (good for the kids)". It's going to boost sales because people want a good product with features that cater for more than one use.

Lets not forget how popular the ps1 was because it played CD's. I was wrapped.

Pretty much every console that has ever been successful has been "new" technology which can no longer be considered "Bleeding Edge" or even "Cutting Edge" ... The reason for this is people have to want to own the system but it has to be cost effective and developers have to have the experience and motivation to take advantage of it.

CDs existed for (roughly) a decade, and CD rom drives were common when Sony released the Playstation with a CD drive in it. DVD existed for over 4 years, DVD drives were becomming (fairly) common in PCs, and DVD was really starting to catch on as a consumer product when Sony introduced the PS2 with a DVD drive in it.

As you can see, Blu-Ray is not similar to CDs or DVDs ...

What's the point? Is this supposed to be flamebait or something?