By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony covering its bases and one-ups MS.

Galaki said:
am I the only one seeing Sony trying to shoot itself in the foot... again?

Actually, to me this looks more like Sony covering its ass. Not a bad move IMO.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Why do most people think in extremes, assuming that all has to be either one thing or the other?

It's as if no one knows how the corporal world works. There are various facets to every market, which are driven by different people's preferences. Companies try to play into those market in manners they see fit - with profit being their main goal.

That's why we see DRMs and companies offering their content through different channels.

mesoteto said:
i thought sony was going to be droping the DRM thingy?

MP3 yes but we are talking about videos here.

okay--i knew i had heard that somewhere

Could somebody translate that to lamens terms? I don't know all that technology mumbo jumbo! lol

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Galaki said:

Actually, to me this looks more like Sony covering its ass. Not a bad move IMO.

Quite. And the PS3  has been touted for lacking online as well, which this possibly could remedy to a certain extent.

I think it's poor reasoning to say this is a move set-up to cover Sony incase Blu-Ray fails. Likely they want both methods to be a success so that they may sell their SD content as downloads and their HD content on discs. Really, Sony has more to gain by making both prospects into successful ventures.

Also, I have a feeling Sony Pictures's content will never be on the Xbox. It's a bit self-destructive.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:
I think it's poor reasoning to say this is a move set-up to cover Sony incase Blu-Ray fails. Likely they want both methods to be a success so that they may sell their SD content as downloads and their HD content on discs. Really, Sony has more to gain by making both prospects into successful ventures.

Also, I have a feeling Sony Pictures's content will never be on the Xbox. It's a bit self-destructive.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  There will be a market for both, but people always see things how they want it in the DD / Phys. Media debate.  Sony knows just like MS that there will be a market for DD and they aren't going to let MS run away with that success.  Sony has been in the entertainment industry much longer than MS.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Galaki said:

If the price is comparable to M$, all Sony is doing is 1uping them.  M$ uses DRM for their Live rentals.  There is no difference there.  The only difference is buying instead of renting, which is all Live enables you to do.