By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Student expelled for tweeting F-Word

pezus said:
outlawauron said:
pezus said:
outlawauron said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
if he used school equipment to post it from home he should still be punished, but not expelled. If it was his own laptop on his own time, its for his parents to deal with, not the school.

Still, punished from tweeting "fuck"? That's a bit extreme.

You kidding? Of course you should be punished for saying that over an open social network. It reflects badly on the school to have the students do that. If you didn't want to get in trouble, set yours tweets to private and don't use school equipment to do it.

But what's wrong with saying it? What's bad about it? You hear and see fuck everywhere you go, and no one is hurt.

It doesn't matter. In an school system, it is not allowed. Period. As a student, you're an extension of said system.

Shouldn't such rules be questioned? What do they accomplish and why were they made in the first place? I just find this funny after everyone yesterday was touting USA as a place where there's "true" freedom of speech. If this is freedom of speech, then how is censorship of speech?

Oh goodness. You have the right of speech, but also the ability to convey said speech in a way that suits your environment and situation. High school students are still minors and it is the schools job to enforce whatever rules are in place. I'm not saying the rule is absolute and things don't need to be re-evaluated, but this is just a no brainer. It's even worse based off his location. You should just know better.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
pezus said:

Shouldn't such rules be questioned? What do they accomplish and why were they made in the first place? I just find this funny after everyone yesterday was touting USA as a place where there's "true" freedom of speech. If this is freedom of speech, then how is censorship of speech?

USA freedom of speech is why this kid will win some major victory and be allowed back to his school.

Having said freedoms doesn't mean people/orgs won't attempt to remove them. All it means is you have legal recourse to demand retribution.

As for the rule of being profain at school, yeah those rules should exist, just as they exist in the workplace and normal society. People should be smart enough to be respectful to others.

If I were this kids parent I'd be getting a lawyer to make sure my kid goes back to his rightful school to finish as well as covering all court costs and then punishing him myself for being a total fucking idiot on twitter and embarrasing my family name. fuck.

I hope the other students plan to show their displeasure at this. If I was at that school I would get as many students as would be willing to participate to all go on twitter on the same day, using school equipment, and tweet "Fuck is no fucking reason to be fucking expelled.".

What will the school do? Expel them all?

pezus said:
superchunk said:
pezus said:

USA freedom of speech is why this kid will win some major victory and be allowed back to his school.

Having said freedoms doesn't mean people/orgs won't attempt to remove them. All it means is you have legal recourse to demand retribution.

As for the rule of being profain at school, yeah those rules should exist, just as they exist in the workplace and normal society. People should be smart enough to be respectful to others.

If I were this kids parent I'd be getting a lawyer to make sure my kid goes back to his rightful school to finish as well as covering all court costs and then punishing him myself for being a total fucking idiot on twitter and embarrasing my family name. fuck.

Yes, but saying fuck isn't being disrespectful of others. Saying "fuck you" would however. These rules don't apply in my normal society. I say fuck all the time with no backlash

Yes, but you are an adult. However, there would be reprecussion if your audience was children and then you repeated what he tweeted.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

pezus said:

Yes, but saying fuck isn't being disrespectful of others. Saying "fuck you" would however. These rules don't apply in my normal society. I say fuck all the time with no backlash

You're also still very young at 21 an likely not in profesional environments much... which a school is.

If you are in a meeting with other profesionals and you say fuck somewhere in your dialogue, you will be looked down on and likely reprimanded to have a more profesional demeanor.

This really is something somepeople just 'get' as they mature. Certain words in any culture are simply not acceptable in everyday speech.

I swear and use crude jokes all the time around friends and in this site. I NEVER do that on FB, twitter or other more open social gatherings, and especially not at any school or workplace.

Around the Network

These kids probably have some type of cell phone. He could have just used it to tweet instead of the school's computer. But that is just what I would have done.

radishhead said:
Marks said:
radishhead said:
he should have been suspended, yes- but not expelled

Suspended for a tweet he wrote in the privacy of his own home at 2:30am? 

It should be treated in the same way as if he said it while in school- just because it's on the internet, doesn't make it above the law

So anything any kid says on the internet on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Youtube, VGchartz, etc. should be punishable in school?

Marks said:
radishhead said:
Marks said:
radishhead said:
he should have been suspended, yes- but not expelled

Suspended for a tweet he wrote in the privacy of his own home at 2:30am? 

It should be treated in the same way as if he said it while in school- just because it's on the internet, doesn't make it above the law

So anything any kid says on the internet on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Youtube, VGchartz, etc. should be punishable in school?

I already mentioned that I was thinking of another news story :p For this one, I think the action was totally unreasonable

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Marks said:
Wow if every time I said fuck I got expelled, I'd be out of schools to transfer to.

This is insanity.

I'd be out of schools to transfer to inside of a week :/

This is indeed insanity!

I feel a private school has every right to make those kinds of decisions and requirements.

But public school? Hell no.

SW-5120-1900-6153