By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony breaking even on PS3/making profit 40gb PS3

@weezy

Well What I was trying to say is not to go and bring the wii's sales into every discussion in order to win over your discussion with another person.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network
Jandre02 said:
weezy said:
End of story Rabidbunny, the PS3 was supposedly a $900 device and 12 month later and after many cost cutting moves, i dont think the ps3 costs 400 to make.

PS3/Sony are just trying to give you fanboys some much needed ammo in this "next gen" war. they dont want you guys running into a battle, your most likely gonna lose, w/o a little something to say ROFLROFLROFL.

Or maybe your just too emotional to see that Sony isnt stupid, and if the price point was going to stay at 900 per console they would have never released it. Sony has cut costs, mostly because of Blu-Ray diode. And what YOU THINK and what a trusted company such as Citigroup thinks are two completely different things.

If you dont understand how it is possible for Sony to do this, then I feel sorry for you. I think its more that your in denial, and your hate for Sony makes you WISH they cant do this. But they have, and regardless of how many times you say "OMG I DONT BELIEVE IT" its true. Deal with it sweetheart.

No matter what CitiGroup says, we'll all know the truth for certain in a few days when the quarterlies release.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Just a quick question since I seen this mentioned by multiple people (but I don't know why): Why will we know the manufacturing costs when quarterlies are released?
Thanks,

RabidBunny

RabidBunny said:

Just a quick question since I seen this mentioned by multiple people (but I don't know why): Why will we know the manufacturing costs when quarterlies are released?
Thanks,

RabidBunny

We won't know exact manufacturing costs but if SCE posts a $500m loss in the quarter (or more), you can easily deduce that they're nowhere near a breakeven point on hardware. Remember that the PS2 is definitely profiting for Sony and by all regards, so is the PSP. Add in PS3 software for the quarter and that's a lot of money that Sony is bringing in from those product lines.

If Sony is still bleeding that much money with several other parts of the division turning a profit, it has to be from PS3 hardware. There's nothing else there that could cause that kind of loss.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

good news if true

Around the Network

@rocketpig
Thank You. I get it. You are trying to pigeon hole the lose to PS3 hardware (which seems logical to me) since other parts of SCE are making a profit. This would give you a feeling of minimum loss per unit (if lose is $500,000,000 and 3,774,872 units were sold-> 132 dollars lost per unit minimum).
RabidBunny

Jandre02 said:

http://mygen.com.au/article.php?page_id=75602388148801047&format=4&se_id=29&rss=1

I called it babay!

only the manufacturing is covered....

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Just like Sony is going to make us eat our words for the 11m PS3 estimate for the fiscal year.

PDF said:
Many people here are trying to debunk this but when Sone lowers the PS3 price sooner than expected you will be eating your words.

If Sony lowers the price again in a short period of time, we won't be eating our words... Sony will be drinking a lot of red ink.

DKII said:
Even if it's $400 in production costs -- which is just an estimate -- that's not even close to breaking even. There's still shipping, distribution, marketing costs (the massive flood of PS3 ads on TV aren't free you know), and they don't sell it to retailers for $399 either (though it is close to that).

Considering Sony themselves said the PS3 as a whole (hardware + software) wouldn't be profitable until at least the middle of this year, I'd take this with a grain of salt.

Now this guy knows what he's talking about.  It may only cost $400 to manufacture, but manufacturing costs aren't the only part of the equation.