By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever wanted to make a game?

Yep, I really wanted to make a game, I think I have some nice ideas, too bad I've haven't got any programming or design skills. I've tried using UDK once, but I can't do much more than creting a very basic 3d level.
I wanted some years ago to become a game designer, but where I live it's very difficult since the gaming industry basically doesn't exist, there are no proper courses and no jobs avaliable. The only way was to get a programming engeneering degree here, and then go to north-europe to learn game design.

Around the Network

Yes, but I realized I couldn't afford the education and that none of the big guns would hire me out of the gate. I was going to attend VFS or VanArts in Vancouver bit one was like 23,000$ a year and the other 39,000$ a year for a minimum of two years and to get the full degree four years. A success rate of 5%.

However the school worked with EAGames Canada and guaranteed you an internship in Vancouver if you got I think 85% GPA. Other internships existed as well. The VFS school has produced some great film directors, actors and game company staff who work at the likes of BioWare, EACanada, UbiSoft Vancouver/Montreal. The schools had hugely successful programs.

But I did not have 40K a year. My career advisor suggested I would make every cent back within three years of working.

But within years the Vancouver games industry began to collapse as everyone headed east to Montréal. Today the Vancouver scene is far more Indie. The industry didn't really shrink it just changed instead of 40 major studios I believe its now almost 300 in dependant studios everywhere from 100+ staff to 2 guys in a basement. Making games for iOS and Social networks rather then consoles.

I also realized I am suited more for the writing side and plot design side then programming. But the industry doesn't employ nearly as many writers and story borders as they do programmers.

So I am stuck I have major ideas but it would take an act of God for me to make any of them come true.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

If I ever get an opportunity to bring a game to life (in this context, market ^^), I'd rather bring 'Sadness' for the Wii into existence, rather than any new game. I have a soft spot for the game. For years. It has tremendous potential to give the player a never-before experience. Great story-line and atmosphere. Haunting music. Sad that it's scrapped by the makers. Still, I hope it'll rise and be within our reach... someday!

I use to make RPG's via RPG maker VX but i would use to take sooooo long :P, and i use to remake a new game every few weeks, longest RPG i made was to the first boss haha