By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My old work wont give me my holiday pay.

Recently I quit my job of 6 months because I was going through a rough time, depressed so to speak, I was a 3rd year Apprentice Chef, I was working for an RSL, they are refusing to give me my holiday pay because I gave insufficient notice that I was leaving, (My holiday would of seen me bank about $1000).

I contacted the QLD Apprenticeship board regarding this issue and it turns out that not only should I be payed my holiday pay but also, as I worked there, about 12 hours out of my 38 hour week I was running the kitchen alone, I was the only Chef in the kitchen and I was in charge during this time, turns out it is illegal for an Apprentice to ever work unsupervised, therefore I was informed that in order for this not to be illegal of the RSL I must be back payed a Chefs rate for every single hour I ever worked alone, not the apprentice rate.

That means 6 months X 12 hours a week = a $7 an hour difference from Apprentice rate to Chef's rate. (3rd Year Apprentice: $11p/h, Chef's rate $18p/h)

This equates into $2016 + $1000 = $3016.

I could sure do with that money seeing as I am broke as shit right now.

Should I try and get the whole lot or would it be a hassle? Or just try and wriggle my holiday pay out of them and leave it as that seeing as that was my original intention.

What would you do?

Around the Network

I would try to get the money. Maybe you can approach them with this issue and point out that if they give you the vacation pay of 1000 USD, then the other stuff is a non isue. if not, then its an issue.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

oh, and hope you feel better and got a new job as well.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

No new job yet :S

Ever since denying me the holiday pay I feel inclined to ask for the back payments, aware them that what they did was illegal, I'm sure threatening the other 2k+ they will want to give me the holiday pay asap.

thats what i meant as well. here is to you finding a new work soon.

being a chef i heard is really tough, but i imagine it to be fun as well. i love cooking.

Around the Network

I could find a new job at the drop of a hat, but I have just been having a break for a while, in the meantime I would sure like my entitlements from the RSL.

I had to sell my PSP/DS last week just for fuel/food :P

then its most definitely time to get a new job.

tell them what you found out, b/c they dont have a leg to stand on

Exactly. Just tell them that if they don't give you what you are entitled to, you will go to the workplace office, or the Ombudsman. As much as I like the RSL, and what it stands for, they have no right to blatantly mistreat apprentices.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Go get the money!

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.