By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - DF article: Sources say Samaritan running on next Xbox dev kit

zarx said:
Sal.Paradise said:

" Enternal combustion isn't the latest tech in engine manufacturing no, the latest engines are not advanced because they are internal combustion engines. They are advanced because of the fact that they use the latest technology available in an internal combustion engine. "

But it's still an internal combustion engine. The latest engines are advanced because they use modern technology and techniques, and so the latest internal combustion engines are advanced technology. To calim otherwise is madness. It's that simple. You think you're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for sports cars for their bodywork and air conditioning huh?

" A steam engine is not more advanced than a Wave Disk Generator engine even tho the steam engine likely has a higher horse power."

Hahah, ok oversimplify the argument to  a huge degree and throw in massive generalizations, nice. The simple fact is that we were arguing whether the 360 GPU is 'high tier spec wise' compared to PC GPUs, and the simple fact is the 'horsepower' i.e. the graphical capability of modern PC GPU technology was far above the 360's GPU at the time of release. Your broken analogies can't help you here. 

And please, now when we say high tier we don't actually mean top end PC GPUs? We're suddenly adding in whole other tiers to retroactively fit his argument? That's just hilarious. 

"Hahah, ok oversimplify the argument to  a huge degree and throw in massive generalizations, nice. The simple fact is that we were arguing whether the 360 GPU is 'high tier spec wise' compared to PC GPUs, and the simple fact is the 'horsepower' i.e. the graphical capability of modern PC GPU technology was far above the 360's GPU at the time of release. Your broken analogies can't help you here. "

Well you have completely failed to grasp every other arguement so I was trying to make it as simple as possible for you. The 360 GPU could do things that no PC GPU at the time could do and was one step behind the most powerful GPU available for PC at the time if the 360 GPU had been released as a PC card at the time it would have been an enthusiest level card let alone a high tier one. Sure you could get more raw power by using 2 GPUs on PC but that is still not a mainstream thing to do, only enthusiests use SLI/XFire. So yes the 360 was high spec in terms of power and more technologically advanced than any PC GPU at the time. 

"And please, now when we say high tier we don't actually mean top end PC GPUs? We're suddenly adding in whole other tiers to retroactively fit his argument? That's just hilarious. "

High =/= top no, the usual tiers are

Intergrated - it comes built in basically what you use when you have nothing else

Low - cheap expansion cards not really for gaming beyond the Sims or maybe WoW  or newer games on lower settings (sub $100)

Mid - Will run most games on high settings at a reasonable resolution such as 1080p, what most gamers use ($100-300)

High - will max almost all games at a high resolution with AA at 60fps outside the few games that really push graphics like Crysis 2 DX11 ($300-400)

Enthusiest - The best money can buy, only really hardcore gamers and overclockers or the very rich ever buy also where SLI/XFire lives

"But it's still an internal combustion engine. The latest engines are advanced because they use modern technology and techniques, and so the latest internal combustion engines are advanced technology."

So using the analogy that the engine is the GPU and the car is the console, then a internal combustion engine is a shader bassed GPU. In this analogy when the 360 launched it's "engine" was fuel injected and CPU controlled (the latest tech) while PC GPUs were carbureted but you could put 2 of them in a Car to have more total horsepower. 

This new tier thing you're talking about now is just pathetic mate. It's abundantly clear that when I and the original person I was arguing with were talking about 'high' end GPUs, we meant exactly that - the high end of the market, the best tech available to the consumer. Stop trying to add another tier to validate the argument when it's just clearly not the case. I respect proper arguments against my position but this bs is just insulting, it's like I'm arguing with a child (or a politician).

" The 360 GPU could do things that no PC GPU at the time could do "

Yes, I completely agree, as I've said before. 

Sure you could get more raw power by using 2 GPUs on PC

Yes, much more. Argument settled. As I said to the other guy, my stance on SLI/overclocking is not going to change, it's completely applicable in this situation, and we we will have to agree to disagree. And if his at least respectable arguments didn't convince me, this bs about what tiers we were actually talking about certainly isn't. 

I'm done now, the circle has completed again, and the arguments are just getting progressivley worse. 

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:

This new tier thing you're talking about now is just pathetic mate. It's abundantly clear that when I and the original person I was arguing with were talking about 'high' end GPUs, we meant exactly that - the high end of the market, the best tech available to the consumer. Stop trying to add another tier to validate the argument when it's just clearly not the case. I respect proper arguments against my position but this bs is just insulting, it's like I'm arguing with a child (or a politician).

" The 360 GPU could do things that no PC GPU at the time could do "

Yes, I completely agree, as I've said before. 

Sure you could get more raw power by using 2 GPUs on PC

Yes, much more. Argument settled. As I said to the other guy, my stance on SLI/overclocking is not going to change, it's completely applicable in this situation, and we we will have to agree to disagree. And if his at least respectable arguments didn't convince me, this bs about what tiers we were actually talking about certainly isn't. 

I'm done now, the circle has completed again, and the arguments are just getting progressivley worse. 

You are the one who is agueing like a child, ever notice how there are 4 people that dissagree woth you and no one who agrees with you? That is because you are wrong. 

I mean FFS in what world does a high end GPU mean more powerful than any possible combination of GPUs? Dou you even think about what you are writing? 

He said high end which GPU not more powerful than any possible PC at the time and he was talking about tech wise anyway as he has said hence why he replyed with "When I wrote this I meant that it was absolutely the best technology that Microsoft could have put in the console considering price, power limitations features and performance. In terms of that, Xenos was on par with any PC card if not better until x1950 came out 6 months later." yet you keep making the same stupid arguement that he meant that the 360 was more powerful than any possible PC, buy using such arguements as "SLI/XFire" are the latest in GPU tech and the power of 2+ GPUs is how you qualify if a GPU is high teir or not. Sorry but high doesn't mean the best money can buy for most people unless you are using a 3 tier classification of low mid high... But even then high tier would mean the top third of GPUs so your aguement against his comment still makes no sense.

I guess your sig is accurate to your personality 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!