By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - John Carter flops. What does that mean for Uncharted movie?

Because one of the reason that John Carter did horribly in the box office was that it had a relatively unknown actor as the lead, does that change things for Uncharted movie?

The role of Nathan Drake will likely go to a somewhat of an established bankable star and not a relative unknown or actors with occult followers.  That pretty much rules out Nathan Fillion (who I guess has some support within the Uncharted fan base).  Who do you think will play Nathan Drake?  Unfortunately, Marky Mark seems more likely.  Jake Gyllenhaal?  How about Channing Tatum?

Around the Network

I don't really think it will affect it much. Uncharted will flop no matter who is the star, if it even gets made at all.

bevochan said:

Because one of the reason that John Carter did horribly in the box office was that it had a relatively unknown actor as the lead, does that change things for Uncharted movie?

The role of Nathan Drake will likely go to a somewhat of an established bankable star and not a relative unknown or actors with occult followers.  That pretty much rules out Nathan Fillion (who I guess has some support within the Uncharted fan base).  Who do you think will play Nathan Drake?  Unfortunately, Marky Mark seems more likely.  Jake Gyllenhaal?  How about Channing Tatum?

I would argue it did horribly because it looks like a terrible movie with a moroic plot ...

John Carter flopped for probably the same reason I saw the preview and had no desire to go see it. It looked like a corny, over-the-top action movie with weird blue aliens talking to humans that were straight out of Prince of Persia.

Or, at least that was my gut reaction from the previews.

badgenome said:
I don't really think it will affect it much. Uncharted will flop no matter who is the star, if it even gets made at all.

Uncharted doesn't need to be made into a movie.  The games already are movies. 

Around the Network

Means nothing. Having an unknown lead had zero to do with John Carter's problems. Plenty of big films have relatively unknown leads.

John Carter had two main problems that were not well resolved by the studio:

how to market the film - they dropped all mention of Mars, the literary history of the title or the fact it was arguably a key source for Star Wars, etc. Instead they tried to focus on the title character and changed the name to just John Carter but then released a series of bland, non-character focused adverts. In general if your movie is titles John Carter your advertising should focus on him and why you should be interested. Instead, Disney chose to focus on general action images which, without better explained context - that this property pre-dated Star Wars, etc. made the film instead look like a blanf CGI fest sub-Star Wars title. In film circles the advertising campaign for the film is considered one of the worst for a huge budget tentpole film and probably they key reason for the titles failure.

Secondly, while the film is actually relatively solid, it's clear the director (the fairly talented Stanton of Pixar fame) never managed to iron out the script and focus enough nor conquer the Disney machine enough to produce a good film that could be clearly marketed. A key element that wasn't tackled was just how faithful to be and how much to acknowledge and respond to the fact that - fair or not - much of the story had been plundered many, many times over the years by other works.

Personally I think they should have focused on the history of the piece and taken the "go back to the source" route of using marketing to make clear this was from the guy who wrote Tarzan, and that it was a rip roaring predecessor to Star Wars and many other works. That way they could have pushed the merits of the film as a solid action science fantasy while making it clear why it seemed familar at the same time.

Anyway, whatever it means nothing for an Uncharted movie - other than don't fuck up your marketing and make sure you sort out your films narrative and content then properly align your marketing accordingly.

Flip side of the coin - whether it turns out to be good, bad or merely redundant - the marketing campaign for Prometheous is generally looking very solid and like to result in the right kind of awareness and attention for the film.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/20/business/disney-writedown-john-carter/index.html

The previews for John Carter are awful. They don't tell you anything about the movie and there's a scene that resembles the fight between the Gungans and the droid in Star Wars Episode I (which is not a good thing).

Signature goes here!

sperrico87 said:
badgenome said:

Uncharted doesn't need to be made into a movie.  The games already are movies. 

Hey, that's my joke!

Though I agree, but not in a "lolol, MGS4 is a movie" sense since Uncharted actually has incredibly good gameplay and lots of it. But Uncharted is already more of a thrillride than any movie, and I don't really know who the target audience for such a thing is: Uncharted fans would rather play an Uncharted game, and non-fans won't care and would probably rather watch National Treasure or some shit.

bevochan said:

I think Marky Mark would do a much better job than Jake Gyllenhall and Channing Tatum combined.  They are both decent actors, but Jake Gyllenhaal is not a good star character and Channing Tatum can only play in sappy love movies. That's just my opinion.  Tom Cruise wouldn't be bad though.  George Clooney or Alec Baldwin as Sully would be key.  

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost