By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - theprof00: WiiU is going to miss the mark

lol again with the 600 dollar rumor that does not exist! its just a placeholder, how hard is that to understand?

anywho they will do fine, maybe not as much as the Wii in the end.

I predict a 60m+ units sold.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
Roma said:
lol again with the 600 dollar rumor that does not exist! its just a placeholder, how hard is that to understand?

but will the system be as great as the SNES?

theprof00 said:

It will all depend on the direction of the industry, and especially of the devs that make games on Nintendo consoles. In my eyes, the SNES days are long gone, and none of the big 3 will have a SNES on their hands. The only one closest to it is Sony with their direction on games that go beyond violence and tap into emotion. Remember Chrono Trigger and FFIII? Yeah, we don't have those really anymore, without being tainted with some western pulp.

Other than that though, Nintendo will offer unique entertainment experiences like Catch Mii and extended audience content, but nothing like we had on the SNES. Those days are over imho.

theprof00 said:
Roma said:

I don’t know I need to check my crystal balls…..

Hmmmm yes I see success in one of them and the other one shows me failure. Oh wait that’s Pachter being wrong in his prediction.

So yeah Pachter being wrong and success in one of them = SSNESGR+ = Successful SNES Generation Repeat

For me the Wii has had the best games yet so will it beat the Wii? Yes I think so

PS: never had SNES

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:

It will all depend on the direction of the industry, and especially of the devs that make games on Nintendo consoles. In my eyes, the SNES days are long gone, and none of the big 3 will have a SNES on their hands. The only one closest to it is Sony with their direction on games that go beyond violence and tap into emotion. Remember Chrono Trigger and FFIII? Yeah, we don't have those really anymore, without being tainted with some western pulp.

Other than that though, Nintendo will offer unique entertainment experiences like Catch Mii and extended audience content, but nothing like we had on the SNES. Those days are over imho.

Hmm, I think in terms of sheer hardware style and function, I think the Vita is the most snes like console I've ever played.

However, I DO think the U is potentially very capable of delivering games on par with games like chrono trigger and secret of mana and starfox. There's just something about it that seems very hmmm savory regarding the concept of the system.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I think that Oniyide said it well in one of my threads. It seems like it is going to be another GC. They are getting third party games, and ditching as much of the shovel ware as they can. It will still be there just in smaller numbers, which I think is fine because a casual gamer is not going to buy 70 dance and fashion and barbie games.

Hmmm, I don't think we will ever see another gamecube, and I think that's a good thing.

theprof00 said:

Hmm, I think in terms of sheer hardware style and function, I think the Vita is the most snes like console I've ever played.

However, I DO think the U is potentially very capable of delivering games on par with games like chrono trigger and secret of mana and starfox. There's just something about it that seems very hmmm savory regarding the concept of the system.

Interesting... could you elaborate  a little more, i.e. is this from a HW UI perspective or from a business strategy standpoint?

For what I see, it's gonna be: 1st party much more polarized core, casual. Core games will become more core (Zelda going HD and TP themed), and casual games will expand in entertainment value (Catch Mii, multiple perspectives and control schemes). I see Nintendo expanding on the extended audience and looking for more software for them (the elderly, female, etc.).

Online will also become very important with the development of online communities for multiplayer games like Mario Kart. Even games that are traditionally first player will either become multiplayer or house a fundamental multiplayer component, I'm thinking of franchises such as Mario 3D, Metroid Prime, and even Zelda.

Meanwhile, they will required much more core games from 3rd parties, especially multiplats (baseline), and will also expect higher quality in 3rd party casual offerings, thus reducing shovelware.

That's what I'm expecting, so as cube was to N64, WiiU will be to Wii. I see a good middle ground with it, and it should reach more people ultimately (by being the goto console), but I may be wrong.

As for SNES experiences, those would have to come either from 3rd parties, or some of Nintendo's owned studios, such as Project Sora, Brownie Brown, Camelot, Retro, Monolith, or not-owned partners such as Mystwalker, Capcom, Sega, Namco.