By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Admits PlayStation Move Has Been A Failure

Sony Admits PlayStation Move Has Been A Failure

Sony UK VP and MD Fergal Gara recently spoke to the official PlayStation magazine about Sony’s Wii Remote clone, the PlayStation Move. Gara admitted that Sony hadn’t done a good enough job supporting the hardware with quality titles, and suggested that the PlayStation Move hardware is best relegated to the causal market.

“What I’m thinking is that it’s better suited towards the casual market, certainly, but we also are pretty clear that we could have done a better job on the titles we’ve had and we’ve brought to market for the PlayStation Move. As you’ve said, great tech, probably not so great applications so far. So there’s a job for us to do on the strength of games, and having seen what’s forthcoming gives me great hope that we can do a better job with Move as we look forward. So we’re certainly not forgetting about it.”

Do you really think Sony's move is failure ?

This post has been moderated ~ Barozi

Around the Network

You might want to change the title. It's very trollish. Sony never "admitted" it was a failure, they admitted they could have supported it better and marketed towards the casual market instead.

Anyway Move isn't a failure, 10million add-ons sold of anything is far from.

Yes it's clearly a failure but that's only good for core gamers. Hopefully Sony will abandon it soon. I don't think PS4 will have any motion control support.

Yes, it is. It's a great piece of technology but it didn't get any support. they made a mistake investing in the casual market like this. I feel like that money could of been spent elsewhere and been MUCH more useful. Infact SONY shouldn't invest in the casual market with hardware at all, I think they'll have more success with being the only one of the big 3 who puts most if not all resources towards core/hardcore gaming.

I think "failure" is a bit too strong.

Around the Network

They never actually use the word 'failure'. 10million shipped units is hardly a failure anyway. As they say, it's just suffered from a lack of killer games and support.

Slimebeast said:

Yes it's clearly a failure but that's only good for core gamers. Hopefully Sony will abandon it soon. I don't think PS4 will have any motion control support.

Nope. It's already sold about the same as the Eyetoy and that was not a failure either.

When you get 10million+ people to buy an add-on, it can be considered a success.
BTW, there are still many years left on the PS3 and Move can keep selling with better support and marketing.

NYANKS said:
I think "failure" is a bit too strong.

Well Sly did make this thread and has a Samus avatar and some Wii games under his now playing list.

Bad intentions with this thread.

VGKing said:
Slimebeast said:

Nope. It's already sold about the same as the Eyetoy and that was not a failure either.

When you get 10million+ people to buy an add-on, it can be considered a success.
BTW, there are still many years left on the PS3 and Move can keep selling with better support and marketing.

10 mill is nothing to laugh about (did Eye Toy really sold that much?) but honestly, how significant is Move? How big of a mindshare does it have among gamers? Move is a fringe thing. It alwats felt forced and awkward and now whenever I see Move ads on PSN I get the feeling it's on lifesupport and will be all but disappeared next gen. 

Slimebeast said:
VGKing said:
Slimebeast said:

10 mill is nothing to laugh about (did Eye Toy really sold that much?) but honestly, how significant is Move? How big of a mindshare does it have among gamers? Move is a fringe thing. It alwats felt forced and awkward and now whenever I see Move ads on PSN I get the feeling it's on lifesupport and will be all but disappeared next gen. 

Move was never meant to be shoved down our throats.
It is an add-on and it got great support for what it is, an add-on.(You want failure? Look a uDraw)

Kinect sold much more and has better support because MS is pushing it as a new platform, not just an add-on.