By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGChartz's Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thread!

I saw the second half of the episode today, internet's out at my new place and i'm still working closer to my parents' so i went back for the weekend.

It seemed pretty good, with once again multiple aesops, non-forced. The season's staying pretty strong after that piss-weak CMC episode.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

"Pinkie Apple Pie" was decent enough, despite the basically non-resolution to the driving plot point. The comedic pacing was better and the jokes hit just right in this episode, much more than other ones.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have some sort of resolution, but that aside, the episode was very enjoyable to watch. There were a lot of really adorable pony faces in this one, and the family dynamic worked very well... I remember all too well the family road trips I went on. Pinkie Pie was fantastic as well. None of her gags went too far, and they all fit well.

The song was great, although the choreography was rather awful... they had the ponies doing some strange things, and it looked really terrible. Some of the lyrics are a bit weird, but it's very catchy. Definitely my favourite song of the season by far. It helps that I have fallen in love with Ashleigh's voice (I've come to really enjoy Hey Ocean! a lot).

I have a feeling Fluttershy would not approve of this episode. A squirrel being stuck to a tree, a bird snatching up a fish and a duck with a wheel around its neck (which later gets free somehow, but with the wheel still there)... also, the most terrifying cave in Equestria. Yeah, it's probably best she sat this one out.

Spoiler alert for Feb 1st episode. Spoiler link.

Weird Al Yankovic will guest star in the episode as Cheese Sandwich. I was a huge fan of his music when I was younger, but I've sort of stopped following his recent stuff. Still, this could be great... or terrible.

insomniac17 said:

Weird Al Yankovic will guest star in the episode as Cheese Sandwich. I was a huge fan of his music when I was younger, but I've sort of stopped following his recent stuff. Still, this could be great... or terrible.

Are you sure that isn't the spoiler for the April 1st episode? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
insomniac17 said:

Are you sure that isn't the spoiler for the April 1st episode? 

I'm not sure the fandom could handle that sort of tease. Especially if it turned out to be a lie.

^^ It's not that weird, really. Weird Al also does guest voice work on Adventure Time, so it's not a big deal, just a nice thing.

Today's episode was very good in terms of both the moral of the story, the fan-service, and not doing anything to really derail characters (Spitfire was a bit of an ass, but was aware enough to apologize later on, consistent with her fairminded portrayals in the past).

Derpy, but no derpy voice. Hmm...

I thought they went a bit too far with Bulk Biceps.

The lesson was okay in this one. It only worked well because the Wonderbolts were jerks. But if they decide in a later episode to have Spitfire & Co offer a job to Dash, and Dash refuses it, I will be seriously upset. Sure, she'd see less of her friends, but... this is her dream. She's a really talented athlete and if she gets the spot, she'll have earned it. It's not that I'm saying that people can't ever turn something down for friends, but if one of my friends was offered their dream job and I'd see them a lot less, I'd still tell them to go for it, because holy crap that's their dream.

... That said, if she were to turn down the job because the Wonderbolts are jerks, I could understand that. I'd be upset that they were made into jerks, but...

Maybe I'm just reading too far into things. Other than that, the episode was fine. Nothing spectacular, but definitely not terrible.

Mr Khan; I think Derpy will be forever voiceless after Derpygate. Still, it's nice to see her around... even if I don't quite understand the fandom's obsession with her.

Discord's definitely not all-the-way reformed yet. It would have been nice if he had actual altruistic motives but was merely going about it like an asshole, rather than just actively wanting to mess with Twilight and Cadence's facetime.

I think he's decided that he can still cause chaos without causing so much that he'll force Twilight & gang to imprison him in stone again.

I really enjoyed this one. It was just a lot of silly nonsense, but who cares? I loved the mention of Rarity's fainting couch, and the way everyone looked at her. And I think that the way Discord went about testing Twilight's friendship with him was perfect. That's something he would do, whether or not he actually cares for her. (I do think that at the very least, he cares for Fluttershy). It was nice to see Cadance again, as well. And apparently, Flash Sentry made an appearance in the background, but I didn't notice it or look for it.