By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSV v 3DS v PSP v DS - TRUE Aligned launch - Week 80 update. BRUTAL

I've never really bought into the "{insert company name here) is doomed" sentiments and still don't really care for them. But whereas the 3DS started to come into its own last Christmas as it started to get a number of higher profile releases the Vita hasn't has the same fortunes. Sony isn't exactly going to discontinue it anytime soon but it wouldn't hurt to find a way to get more off the shelves. problem is, they don't really have a franchise like Mario that can be moulded into every genre and appeals to almost every demographic.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
kowenicki said:
Yeah, in the UK and Europe the vita is on a permanent offer in many places. Either this will turn into an official price cut or stores are just trying to get rid of the stock they over ordered.

This is a temporary cut, they've already realized that they lose too much money with permanent cuts. They've admitted to this, or at least convinced themselves that it's what the public wants.

If they don't lose the money now with a temporary cut, their chances of securing software support is going to go way down.  They need something to bolster sales, and fast.

SecondWar said:
I've never really bought into the "{insert company name here) is doomed" sentiments and still don't really care for them. But whereas the 3DS started to come into its own last Christmas as it started to get a number of higher profile releases the Vita hasn't has the same fortunes. Sony isn't exactly going to discontinue it anytime soon but it wouldn't hurt to find a way to get more off the shelves. problem is, they don't really have a franchise like Mario that can be moulded into every genre and appeals to almost every demographic.

Beyond that, there IS a problem that people aren't sure how to deal with (some won't even acknowledge it as an issue): we're kind of in a period, right now, that hasn't really been seen before because of the prevalence of tablets and smart phones for gaming. No handheld previous has actually had to deal with tablets and smartphones that are as powerful as the handhelds themselves and offer another route to gaming (even if most of those games aren't really more than shovelware style).

No matter what people think, this has already caused a shift in handheld gaming. Just look at how many companies have shifted to mobile and social games now. These guys go where the money is and the money obviously hasn't stopped flowing for that market to this point. In fact, numbers say it's growing a lot. Your mention of great franchises actually makes a lot more sense here too, because look at the 3DS. I'd be willing to bet some serious dollars to say that Nintendo's franchises have kept their handheld afloat and thriving. The PSP and the DS didn't have to compete with smart phones or tablets because most of them didn't exist at that time.

Pessimistic to think about or not, the Vita's lack of good fortune may be less anomoly and more the product of a company and industry that has no idea what was going to happen when you put out a dedicated handheld, without the same level of franchise support as Nintendo can muster, against a wave of new tech that CAN outprice and outpace old, status quo ideas. Times change and every industry has the inadvertent sacrificial lamb that illustrates the herald of something new. It's going to be interesting to see, exactly, what happens.

I've been considering a new handheld console for quite some time now. Should I be scared of buying a PSV?

perpride said:
I've been considering a new handheld console for quite some time now. Should I be scared of buying a PSV?

If it already has enough games you want to play to justify the purchase, go right ahead. If it does not yet have enough game you want to play, what's the hurry? May as well wait till it does.

Around the Network

Any updates on this one? I guess the Vita covered some ground the last couple of weeks. Show us how the beast performed.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Your graphs are really quite nice, Kowen. I hope you can keep this thread up to date like you were.

Wait, did the PSP actually outsell the GBA/DS for a while?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Nice to see this again. PSV seems to have lost all of its western fanbase that PSP had while 3DS is merely maintaining the DS fanbase at this point in time.

Thanks Kowen.