By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New iPad and PS Vita specs

VGKing said:
You really think the Vita is competing with the iPad? You're delusional.

BTW the Vita's GPU is better. new iPad ends with MP2 but the Vita is MP4+.

So Vita has better everything except screen resolution.

The iPad 2 has the PowerVR SGX 543MP2 GPU, the new iPad gpu hasn't been announced yet.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

You say it should have been a phone, but you left out something important from the table: Battery Life! Something very important for a phone.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

VGKing said:

Actually, even that can be considered as an advantage for Vita, the visual difference won't be that big but it will bring Ipad's performance down significantly.

man-bear-pig said:
iPad because you can do 1000x more on it for 2x the price!

Yeah but it can't do [good] games. Just Angry Birds. 

Talking Spec wise...i think VITA holds its own.

Lets face it this is the new Ipad, it was always going to have insane specs..and talking cpu/gpu wise the vita stil beats it. Most websites are claiming that the gpu will be the same gpu as the VITA..so im not sure why, in the op, you assumed it will have a better gpu?

Also, considering that most other tablets and smartphones are going with tegra 3, which is really weak compared to vita/Ipad...it just shows how ahead of the curve the vita is.

Im pretty sure though, that by the end of this year/beginning of next...most tablets and smartphones will be on par with vita and beginning to surpass it. That gives the vita about a year and a half of being on the cutting edge, which is all we can really expect these days given the pace at which mobile computing power is developing.

Gaming wise, the new ipad now has to compensate for that high resolution, this requires resources from the gpu/cpu obviously. In this sense the vita has the upper hand only needing to accommodate for sub hd res.

About the "psv should have been a phone argument" i agree to an extent. But sony isnt as strong in the smartphone market as they are in the gaming market, whether or not the general size of the smartphone market can offset this is questionable. Also, the form factor. Part of the biggest appeal about smartphones especially the successful ones is the form factor. Look at the SG2, the iphone, xperia arc, new xperia phones, hell just about all of them are thin, light and sexy. Sony would have a headache trying to get the form factor right to cater to the casual mass audience, while stil trying to appeal to the core gaming audience.

If they could pull that off though, that would be great. Aside from this form factor and audience, id imagine there are more issues that come into play had sony released the vita as android smartphone.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

new IPAD sales will demolished Vitas sales no matter what specs.

Gaming, I don't care about gaming on tablets, I have my consoles and DS.

sperrico87 said:

To all the people bashing 3DS/ Vita in favor of iPad 3:

You forget history too quickly.  Nintendo has absolutely no care for future-proofing their systems, handheld or otherwise.  They make something relatively cheap with decent features, and it sells like hotcakes because of the first and third-party game lineup that they pump out. Same with Sony, though I'll concede, Sony makes a slightly bigger deal out of specs than Nintendo does.  But regardless...

iPads don't have any buttons, or sticks, and they're big and heavy.  It's not a proper portable console, and it has no need to be.  It is designed for rich people like my dad who likes to buy toys and gadgets for it and check email on while sitting in a fancy hall waiting for a meeting with some other rich person. 

My point is that specs really, really don't matter.  As Nintendo and Sony have proven time and time again.  It's all about what content you can get to be only available on your system that makes people want to buy it.   So while comparing Vita or 3DS to an iPad makes for a fun tangent and semi-interesting conversation, just remember that in the grand scheme of things, like longevity and install base, it is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Just remember, the DS had N64 graphics.  It sold over 150 million units in less than six years, and doubled the install base of the entire line of Game Boy models dating back to 1989.

1) Nintendo has Nintendo IPs. That's all they really ever need. No other company stacks up.

2) I stated right off the bat that the controls were worse and that's why Sony could snag a solid sustainable market.

3) Content is king, which is why Nintendo will continue and Sony needs to migrate.

Andrespetmonkey said:

I understand your reasoning, but you've ignored several points:

• Ipad is not optimized for gaming
  • The OS and other shit running in the background on the Ipad uses more resources, leaving less for games
  • Hardly any mobile devs have the budget and/or take the time to take full advantage of the tech they are working on. (How many games look like Infinity Blade 2? You could probably count them on one hand)
  • PSVITA has a significantly better CPU
  • Games on the Ipad are being rendered at a MUCH higher resolution
  • PSVITA has a physical controls which works very well, this is arguably the biggest point here

All those points were valid if my OP was tyring to talk someone into buying one or the other, however it is not.

pezus said:
Not very impressive considering the insane price. They can hardly beat a device that is considerably smaller and at the same time considerably cheaper. Samsung will probably beat this in a month with a phone

Galaxy S3 will have all those specs beat, but so will iPhone5.

VGKing said:

New iPad hasn't been listed... the iPad2 had a GPU ending in MP2, the new iPad has a quad core GPU which is probably the same as Vitas.