By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Incomes up for upper class and rich, down for middle class...

sethnintendo said:
Rath said:
I don't understand the support for flat taxes in America, it would really screw the poor.

Well, it would only screw the poor if they weren't compensated for the necessities like food.  Basically, I like it because it is better than the government taking money out of my paycheck automatically and making me wait till the end of the year to get it back.  It would only screw the poor over who can't control their spending.  Don't want to pay tax on anything that isn't a necessity then don't buy it. 

I was talking about flat income tax. Sales taxes without exceptions are actually regressive as the poor need to spend a higher percentage of their income to survive. A sales tax with exceptions doesn't avoid the complexity that people complain about with progressive taxes anyway.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Rath said:
I don't understand the support for flat taxes in America, it would really screw the poor.

Well, it would only screw the poor if they weren't compensated for the necessities like food.  Basically, I like it because it is better than the government taking money out of my paycheck automatically and making me wait till the end of the year to get it back.  It would only screw the poor over who can't control their spending.  Don't want to pay tax on anything that isn't a necessity then don't buy it. 

For what its worth, I've never seen a proponent offer a flat tax plan that didn't include some sort of prebate system that had a simple exemption based on if the person filed separately or jointly. i.e. the first $15,000 of a single person's income or $30,000 of joint income was tax-free. After that number, the tax kicked in.

So a single person making $30,000 under such a system at, say, a 20% flat tax would have to pay $3,000 (20% of $15,000) while a family making $100,000 would have to pay $14,000 (20% of $70,000).

The attraction of a flat tax is that, outside of the poverty exemption, there are no loopholes. No millionaire will pay less than 19.9% of his income in taxes, without exception (assuming a 20% flat tax).

The atrocity of the American tax system is that corruption thrives in complexity. The higher the taxes and the more loopholes that exist, the more incentive there is for people to do what they can to reduce their burden. Its called the Laffer Curve effect. When you have a tax code that is 20,000 pages or so and has exemptions for everything, you can get away with a lot.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

SamuelRSmith said:
sethnintendo said:
Yea that is why I am starting to like the consumption tax more and getting rid of the IRS.  Politicians can just use the IRS and their tax code to further fuel the "class warfare".  If we just paid tax on whatever we bought (and got reimbursed for basic necessities like food) then this would be more fair.  At first I wasn't really into the idea but then I read Fair Tax book by Neal Boortz.  While I didn't agree with everything in his book (and I actually highly dislike him and his radio show), he does make a compelling argument about setting USA up to become once again a manufacturing leader, etc... by getting rid of corp taxes, etc.. by switching to a consumption tax.

While a consumption tax is slightly better than income tax, it's still a piss poor option. First, you have the (same) moral problems with the Government's right to tax, as it's an infringement on property rights (property rights include the right to exchange property... with a consumption tax, the exchange of property won't be legal unless the Government gives you permission, and you pay a fee to gain that permission. That isn't a right, that's extortion).

It's also open to as many loopholes as income tax. Lobbyists will be trying to get their products classed as "neccessities", activists will be trying to get certain taxes raised higher (for environment, health, "protecting our children", etc. reasons). The system will inevitably be geared to suit the exact same people that the current system is geared towards.

Ultimately, what a consumption tax leads to is MORE Government control over your life. It destroys property rights, and allows for the Government to control the prices of the things it doesn't like, and reduce the prices of the things its friend's like.

The problem with the consumption tax is while it sifts for revenues not made in America (fixing the problem of tax-haven corporations by simply forcing them to either pay the tax or not sell products in America at all), it is also a regressive tax and ends up hurting the bottom far more than the top.

More stringent progressive taxation is needed. Restore the payroll tax when hiring picks up (because no-one is going to hire someone that they wouldn't have been able to hire if it weren't for the payroll tax cut, unless we're talking about short-term employment), then destroy the Bush tax cuts. Streamline the military industrial complex by rewiring our defense strategy (the Cold War is over, yet the positioning of so many bases over the world leaves the other impression), and also by changing military procurement procedures to be more competitive, and plow that saved revenue into human welfare: health, social security, educational grants, scholarships. As human welfare improves, the need to spend as much on human welfare will ironically shrink, and in the long run less spending will be needed on matters of human economic rights.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

mrstickball said:
sethnintendo said:
Rath said:

For what its worth, I've never seen a proponent offer a flat tax plan that didn't include some sort of prebate system that had a simple exemption based on if the person filed separately or jointly. i.e. the first $15,000 of a single person's income or $30,000 of joint income was tax-free. After that number, the tax kicked in.

So a single person making $30,000 under such a system at, say, a 20% flat tax would have to pay $3,000 (20% of $15,000) while a family making $100,000 would have to pay $14,000 (20% of $70,000).

The attraction of a flat tax is that, outside of the poverty exemption, there are no loopholes. No millionaire will pay less than 19.9% of his income in taxes, without exception (assuming a 20% flat tax).

If it were to bring capital gains and inheritance in line with everything else, i could favor a flat tax system structured this way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
mrstickball said:
sethnintendo said:
Rath said:

If it were to bring capital gains and inheritance in line with everything else, i could favor a flat tax system structured this way.

IMO, capital gains != income

As for inheritance, I think that is a real tricky line, because the income has already been taxed once.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Rath said:
sethnintendo said:
Rath said:

I was talking about flat income tax. Sales taxes without exceptions are actually regressive as the poor need to spend a higher percentage of their income to survive. A sales tax with exceptions doesn't avoid the complexity that people complain about with progressive taxes anyway.

Yea, I realized my post wasn't what you were talking about while I was driving to work (a little too late).  I was thinking you were talking about a sales tax and not flat income.  It seems like no one can agree on a tax system for the US to use.  There are always pros and cons with most systems.  Seems like most have more cons than pros but there has to be something better than the current system.  What do you suggest?

Honestly, the middle class and "poor" are heavily impacted by the moronic economic policies of this (and previous) administrations. A light-weight and effective regulatory system, with a simple taxation system and low taxes benefits small companies which are the primary drivers of job growth; and successful small companies are far more likely to pay decent wages and give appropriate raises than large companies.

In contrast, the excessive regulation, tax system filled with bizzarre loopholes and exceptions, governments giving large subsidies to gigantic corporations, and high taxes all benefit large corporations.

Rath said:
sethnintendo said:
Rath said:

Wouldn't that mean a sales tax would be progressive?  If the poor are spending a higher precentage of their income to survive... neccessities being exempt from a sales tax... wouldn't they be paying a lower tax rate?

The arguement for it being Regressive, would be that the rich unlike the poor, are unlikely to spend all of their money in one year.  The poor spending what's left of their money on entertainment and non essential things.

Example.  Say you spend 70% of your income on needs, and 30% on non-needs.   At 20% tax your paying 6% of your income to the state.

While if your super rich and spend 1% of your income on needs and like... 10% on non needs your paying 3% of your income to the state.  While the rest is presumibly making you money somewhere.

Although LONGTERM it'd still end up being progressive because all that money has to be spent sometime, and little of it would go toawrds needs.

Mr Khan said:
SamuelRSmith said:
sethnintendo said:
Yea that is why I am starting to like the consumption tax more and getting rid of the IRS.  Politicians can just use the IRS and their tax code to further fuel the "class warfare".  If we just paid tax on whatever we bought (and got reimbursed for basic necessities like food) then this would be more fair.  At first I wasn't really into the idea but then I read Fair Tax book by Neal Boortz.  While I didn't agree with everything in his book (and I actually highly dislike him and his radio show), he does make a compelling argument about setting USA up to become once again a manufacturing leader, etc... by getting rid of corp taxes, etc.. by switching to a consumption tax.

While a consumption tax is slightly better than income tax, it's still a piss poor option. First, you have the (same) moral problems with the Government's right to tax, as it's an infringement on property rights (property rights include the right to exchange property... with a consumption tax, the exchange of property won't be legal unless the Government gives you permission, and you pay a fee to gain that permission. That isn't a right, that's extortion).

It's also open to as many loopholes as income tax. Lobbyists will be trying to get their products classed as "neccessities", activists will be trying to get certain taxes raised higher (for environment, health, "protecting our children", etc. reasons). The system will inevitably be geared to suit the exact same people that the current system is geared towards.

Ultimately, what a consumption tax leads to is MORE Government control over your life. It destroys property rights, and allows for the Government to control the prices of the things it doesn't like, and reduce the prices of the things its friend's like.

The problem with the consumption tax is while it sifts for revenues not made in America (fixing the problem of tax-haven corporations by simply forcing them to either pay the tax or not sell products in America at all), it is also a regressive tax and ends up hurting the bottom far more than the top.

More stringent progressive taxation is needed. Restore the payroll tax when hiring picks up (because no-one is going to hire someone that they wouldn't have been able to hire if it weren't for the payroll tax cut, unless we're talking about short-term employment), then destroy the Bush tax cuts. Streamline the military industrial complex by rewiring our defense strategy (the Cold War is over, yet the positioning of so many bases over the world leaves the other impression), and also by changing military procurement procedures to be more competitive, and plow that saved revenue into human welfare: health, social security, educational grants, scholarships. As human welfare improves, the need to spend as much on human welfare will ironically shrink, and in the long run less spending will be needed on matters of human economic rights.

Yeah, I'm opposed to sales tax as much as I am to income tax.