By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Wii U Thread!: Pokemon Rubmle U coming to Wii U

Tagged games:

What old franchise should Nintendo revive first on the Wii U?

Star Fox 220 47.31%

F-Zero 110 23.66%

Wave Race 29 6.24%

Top-Down Zelda 55 11.83%

Show me the results. 28 6.02%

Total:442
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Official Wii U CPU user's manual surfaces
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184154
http://raidenii.net/files/datasheets/cpu/ppc_broadway.pdf

That's Wii, not Wii U.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Well, I think most of us have heard this before, no?

One of the worries about the Wii U has always been latency between the TV and the GamePad controller. Even a slight delay on the tablet controller could ruin games, but according to developer Two Tribes, that’s not an issue at all. In fact, the GamePad updates quicker than the TV. Two Tribes is currently working on Toki Tori 2 for the Wii U, and when they tried to send images to both the TV and GamePad, the GamePad updated quicker, according to Two Tribes co-founder Colin Van Ginkel.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-gamepad-screen-tv/

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Apparently Umbra Software is a WiiU partner:

Graphics technology company Umbra Software is an official middleware tools provider with Nintendo for the Wii U console. The company has announced that a customized version of Umbra’s latest rendering optimization middleware is available for evaluations for licensed Wii U developers. Wii U’s version of Mass Effect 3, for example, is a title that uses Umbra’s rendering optimization.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/28/umbra-software-is-an-official-wii-u-partner/

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

spurgeonryan said:

RUMOR - Wii U RAM talk, mass production and bundles

We have a pair of rumors coming in about the Wii U. Thought I'd lump them into a single post. First up, some info from our friend Emily Rogers.

- Wii U to feature 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM
- this would be double the Xbox 360
- higher numbers of Wii U RAM heard early was related to dev kits
- dev kits have more RAM for debugging and other dev features

The second rumor comes in from an anonymous source.

- Wii U has gone into mass production
- launch may have multiple SKUs/bundles

What kind of Wii U bundle would make most sense to you? Do you need to have a price attached to a bundle before you make your final call? Let's at least hope that this rumor of bundles is true. It's nice to have options!

I thought the rumors going around were 1.5 GB - 2 GB of RAM because 1 GB would be just too small.

Multiple SKUs are deffinately welcome! I can see there being two bundles:

Basic Bundle: Console + Upad + (Cables, Sensor Bar, etc) + Nintendo Land (MAYBE)... Price = 300 USD

Elite Bundle (or whatever): Basic Bundle + Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck + USB HDD (>500 GB)... Price = 400 USD

Sam3o said:
spurgeonryan said:

RUMOR - Wii U RAM talk, mass production and bundles

We have a pair of rumors coming in about the Wii U. Thought I'd lump them into a single post. First up, some info from our friend Emily Rogers.

- Wii U to feature 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM
- this would be double the Xbox 360
- higher numbers of Wii U RAM heard early was related to dev kits
- dev kits have more RAM for debugging and other dev features

The second rumor comes in from an anonymous source.

- Wii U has gone into mass production
- launch may have multiple SKUs/bundles

What kind of Wii U bundle would make most sense to you? Do you need to have a price attached to a bundle before you make your final call? Let's at least hope that this rumor of bundles is true. It's nice to have options!

I thought the rumors going around were 1.5 GB - 2 GB of RAM because 1 GB would be just too small.

Multiple SKUs are deffinately welcome! I can see there being two bundles:

Basic Bundle: Console + Upad + (Cables, Sensor Bar, etc) + Nintendo Land (MAYBE)... Price = 300 USD

Elite Bundle (or whatever): Basic Bundle + Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck + USB HDD (>500 GB)... Price = 400 USD

I agree with you about RAM, 1.5 GB already looks short, less than that will be a huge obstacle later in WiiU's life.

I think bundles won't include an HDD, they will be related to games. Think of bundles with NintendoLand, ZombieU, etc.

@rumors about WiiU entering mass production: really? We're almost in Spetember. Of course it has entered mass production!

We have even hear rumors about Nintendo having problems with it!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

I agree with you about RAM, 1.5 GB already looks short, less than that will be a huge obstacle later in WiiU's life.

I think bundles won't include an HDD, they will be related to games. Think of bundles with NintendoLand, ZombieU, etc.

@rumors about WiiU entering mass production: really? We're almost in Spetember. Of course it has entered mass production!

Actually, 1.5 GB is just fine.   Most PC games even on the highest settings and resolutions don't use 2 GB and that includes OS overhead and unoptimized programming.

Viper1 said:
JEMC said:

Actually, 1.5 GB is just fine.   Most PC games even on the highest settings and resolutions don't use 2 GB and that includes OS overhead and unoptimized programming.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't that 1.5GB the whole RAM of the console? Isn't it shared by CPU and the GPU?

I mean PCs have system RAM and GPU RAM, but in consoles aren't both of them the same thing?

At least that's what I thought, and since all rumors we've seen talk only about that amount, it made sense.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The question remains though; is that 1.5GB available for gaming, or is that 1GB for gaming with 512MB for the OS?

Viper1 said:
JEMC said:

Consider that, according to someone, the WiiU OS is going to use more memory than a normal console due to video streming on the tablet, which requeires a dedicated data buffer.

JEMC said:
Viper1 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't that 1.5GB the whole RAM of the console? Isn't it shared by CPU and the GPU?

I mean PCs have system RAM and GPU RAM, but in consoles aren't both of them the same thing?

At least that's what I thought, and since all rumors we've seen talk only about that amount, it made sense.

Yes and no.   On a console, the total RAM is usually quoted but they do tend to have specific pools of system RAM and Video RAM.  Though some consoles allow them to be pooled together and accessed by either component.

But my post was refering to the total RAM used on a PC when gaming.    You do use all 8 GB of system RAM when gaming on a PC.    Not even close.   You barely even use all the Video RAM on your GPU.

Battlefield 3.  High settings.   1.1 GB of System RAM.  
http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d3/d3649ffd_Untitled.png