Jesus vs Mohammed?

Jesus 136 39.19%

Mohammed 158 45.53%

Equal 53 15.27%

Total:347

Lol, what kind of question is this? xD

Around the Network
Marks said:

I'm probably going to sound ignorant saying this, but didn't Muhummad say things like it was okay to harm/kill non-Muslims and encouraged violence against them? 

I obviously haven't read the qu'ran myself but I think it has verses that say things along those lines. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to be offensive, I actually would like to learn something. 

Muhammad never encouraged violence against anyone, and he never said it was okay to harm or kill any human. I believe I know what verse you're referring to from the Quran because it has been used out of context by the media a lot, so it's actually good that you're questioning about it. Firstly, you should know that the Quran isn't the words of Muhammad, but it is the word of God (that is, in Islamic belief).

God (in general) said that Muslims should first pray for the idol-worshippers and hope that they become believers in God. Muslims should then try to turn them into believers, but if they refuse then it is fine and they should leave them alone. If the non-believers attack the Muslims (like they savagely used to during that era), then it is okay for a Muslim to strike his sword against the non-believer to protect his beliefs.

That's a very general explanation of it, but people like to single out the verse of "striking the non-believers" out of context and blow it out of proportion mainly as an act of phobia against Islam. But when you read that verse in context of the paragraph it's in, then it makes sense.

Its me and my friends had a debate and I wanted to know what others thought.

You are right about the Koran.

The story I know is the the Angel Gabriel came to Mohammed in a cave and Mohammed then told what he heard to those who listened and they wrote it down.

Also I could see some evidence (however compared to the past its been mostly dis proven) that Jesus was fake, however there is no real basis to say Mohammed was fake.

They lives were quite different though.

Jesus was betrayed and had no real support while Mohammed was older had a large family to support him.
Most important being his fathers friends and his Uncle (Hamza) and his cousin Ali.

Once and for all, regarding the "married to 9 years old girl"

1) Mahatma Ghandi married a 14 years old ,,, more recently
2) in desert humans become adults earlier...
3) 1500 years ago the average age was 40 or something. 9/40 vs 20/80 of today.

in short you can't judge without knowing the circumstances.

also for Muslims both Jesus and Muhammad are respected prophets, and among the group of distinguished ones.

The average age was based on the fact most children died before the age of 5.
If you lived past 5 you actually lived to be older then 40.

Just clearing a common myth...

Around the Network

If you live in a harsh climate you grow up much faster?

Also the story about the 9 year old wife is rather well known and is used by many to attack Islam.

Jesus remains a well liked figure to this day. Few attack him over his messages and his life but go after the fact if he existed or not. He is well respected by almost all faiths.

wanderer said:
i'm muslim and i'm very offended by this thread

I'm an atheist and I'm slightly offended by your qu'ran. But I deal with it, maybe you should? This thread isn't personally attacking anyone or saying anything hurtful really.

I prefer Jesus' message, he was a very progressive person. Mohammed not so much.

I think they both made highly outlandish claims though.

bugme5 said:

Once and for all, regarding the "married to 9 years old girl"

1) Mahatma Ghandi married a 14 years old ,,, more recently
2) in desert humans become adults earlier...
3) 1500 years ago the average age was 40 or something. 9/40 vs 20/80 of today.

in short you can't judge without knowing the circumstances.

also for Muslims both Jesus and Muhammad are respected prophets, and among the group of distinguished ones.

1) Yes, they got married at 14, but that marriage was arranged way before that. (poor girl?)

2) Wtf.

3) That doesn't matter, and you're still factually wrong. At 1500 people went through puberty later than they do nowadays due to lack of nutrition.

How anyone can defend this religion is beyond me.

Andrespetmonkey said:
wanderer said:
i'm muslim and i'm very offended by this thread

I'm an atheist and I'm slightly offended by your qu'ran. But I deal with it, maybe you should? This thread isn't personally attacking anyone or saying anything hurtful really.

Why are you offended by it?