By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to be priced at $299?

Tagged games:

superchunk said:

@ those arguing about a wiimote/nunchuk in the box.

Its going to happen. It costs Nintendo probably less than $10 to produce a wiimote/nunchuk combo. It will have plenty of games with multiple control options and will help push multiplayer in the built-in game that will include those tech games from the E3 demos.

There will be a new console, new tablet controller, game to push hardware similar to how Wii sports worked, wiimote/nunchuk.

Aren't you the guy who keeps saying that M$ will unveil the NextBox at this year's E3 and that it's coming before the end of the year?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Good price point, but my concern is that Ninty will cheap out on hardware again and get leap frogged by the other two. We would have a similar situation that we have now.Unless they are going to take a loss for a while

@ Rol how is it not an upgrade?? It can do everything the WIi does, but more

Very, Very good price point

It's just that simple.

If it had a bundle with Wii Sports 3 and without that dated controller I would by it.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen since Reggie wants me to play call of duty in 1080p using dual analogs.

Meanwhile I just want to use my Wii Remotes in local a multiplier mode for 6 people.

20,000 Yen? No f*ing way.
That's how much the Wii still costs here. :P

299$/Euro would be good if true.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
Looking at Seece comment, then WiiU is meant to compete with XBox 360 and PS3?

Yes and no.  It's meant to compete with current consoles, but also be competing against next-generation consoles but as the underdog, until Nintendo's next console is released.  They follow a five-year span roughly between their main-stream consoles, even if the difference between five and six years, is only by a few weeks.  Personally I think it's a brilliant strategy.

Who?

That would be a very reasonable price.

Hope they have different bundles at launch at different price points ie a 4gb standard system at lower price...that's if the system has changed and will actually have an internal hard drive. Still not sure what nintendo is planning in releasing a hd console without an included hardrive.

RolStoppable said:
NightDragon83 said:

Rol my friend, I think you need a bit of a refresher on the Wii U.  Watch this E3 trailer again, and then tell me who the Wii U is tailored for...

Hint:  it ain't the non-Wiimote / Nunchuk crowd!

"Modern controllers have become too complicated and intimidating with all their control inputs." - Five years later Nintendo presents the swiss army knife of controllers. They are going into the opposite direction with this system.

Think about games that primarily use just the touch screen, though.  That's probably the single easiest "pick up and play" interface there is.  Sure, elderly people won't be paying $299 just to play Wii Bingo, but the functionality of a tablet is there, which is all the rage these days as far as accessibility.  The key factor is Nintendo's ability to create those games that do for the WiiU controller what Wii Sports did for the Wii remote.  The fact that all of the Wii accessories are compatible and the tablet controller does also feature buttons makes it equipped for all play types from simple to complex.

Personally, the streaming and TV screen/tablet screen interactivity is what gets my imagination going; things like that shuriken demo in the video.

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
Good price point, but my concern is that Ninty will cheap out on hardware again and get leap frogged by the other two. We would have a similar situation that we have now.Unless they are going to take a loss for a while

@ Rol how is it not an upgrade?? It can do everything the WIi does, but more

The 3DS can also do everything the DS/DSi does and more, so how is it not an upgrade? When the improved functionality doesn't materialize in games. This makes it incredibly easy for people to say that they don't need a 3DS and so they just keep playing their DS or do something entirely else with their free time.

If the Wii U doesn't get motion controlled games, the console will be perceived to be worse than the Wii by fans of Wii Sports and everyone who liked what the Wii brought to the table (let's not forget that there's also the pointer). Not including a Wiimote/Nunchuk with every Wii U increases the chances that third parties won't bother to support this controller option in their games, because it's not guaranteed that every Wii U owner will have these controllers. And no games translates to no sales. The Wii U can only be an upgrade, if it gets better games than the Wii.

you dont know that they WONT get thise games, you have no idea and neither does anyone on the forum. All we have seen is a bunch of clips from 3rd party games released on PS360 already and a couple of confirmed games like Metro, ALiens, Darksiders 2, Tekken.  We wont know what NINTY is working on till E3. Now if then I dont see a WiiSPorts 3 or Fit super or whatever game you think will make Wii U big, then you can freak out.