By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scientific study finds rich people act more unethically than those with less money....

JoeTheBro said:
richardhutnik said:
JoeTheBro said:
snakenobi said:
its the fake rich, bankers and money changers

the real rich are the people who work and become rich by merit

Hey! I'm lazy and waste all my money yet ain't rich so it must be because the rich are evil...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that laughs at all the hate rich people get recently.

When almost all the gains in the past few decades have gone to the top, don't expect people to suddenly be happy with it, and think it is wonderful and seek to sing the praises.  Do expect that there will be people silent and not fully supportive, and those who actively complain about it and point it out.  You also have a portion who are actively resentful and envious of it.

By the way, note the article and the scientific research here.  It showed that people with more money generally acted more unethically.  It doesn't mean all, just a trend.  You can debunk it by pointing out your own incompetencies, but you aren't the full sample size, just one person.

Hahah, you're just proving my point with everything you say!

Let's think of making money as a game. You keep playing with a friend over and over and he keeps on winning. Instead of admitting he is a better player or your strategy sucks, you accuse him of cheating. At least in America and the majority of the world the game is fair and the winner doesn't cheat. If he did he may win a game or two but he'll usually get caught before making big money.

A major concept in business is if you set out to make money you will do ok. If you set out to make strong relationships and please the consumer you can do far better. If Scrooge was real, he would have been a horrible business man. (I do realize I'm going off on a tangent)

That can be said.  But the scientific studies show that people were being unethical who had more money.  It isn't a matter of being innovative, and thinking differently, and doing differently, it is a matter of actually cheating.  That is what the studies showed there.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Actually would have to see the study. Often times studies like this generally are weighted specifically go get such kinds of answers.

So it depends on the questions and the definition of morality.

I wouldn't be too surprised though, since you'd think assertiviness and ehtics are tied together in someway, and assertiveness is tied to success.

I sorta doubt being unethical leads to more success though, because there is a HUGE hammer if your unethical and fail during most of your life.

Although I suppose it could be due to relative population size differences.

IE, people who bet their lifesavings one blackjack hand once in their life are probably disproportionatly rich.  Even though more then half of them would fail at the game.   Simply because the sample size of "rich" is lower then the normal set sample size.

It is worth more study to find out exact details.  Not all rich people act that way of course, and not all poor people are saints.  One would have to see if the person with more money inherited it, or actually earned it and has an ethics set which causes them not to cheat.  It is possible there is a correlation between assertiveness and being unethical?  In this, the more a person is willing to be assertive and aggressive, the more they get, and the more they are likely to bend social norms to get somwhere (thus unethical).  And then, if after all this, it is a matter of which causes which.  Do people become more unethical when they become wealthier?

And then, after all these filters, there is another level of what it all means, and outcome as a result.  It would be pushing it severely to use things as they are now to say that the way to address the issues is to suddenly redistribute wealth.  Make rich poor and then ethics go up.

Scientific study also shows that rich people donate more to charity and pay way more taxes than poor people.

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

Actually would have to see the study. Often times studies like this generally are weighted specifically go get such kinds of answers.

So it depends on the questions and the definition of morality.

I wouldn't be too surprised though, since you'd think assertiviness and ehtics are tied together in someway, and assertiveness is tied to success.

I sorta doubt being unethical leads to more success though, because there is a HUGE hammer if your unethical and fail during most of your life.

Although I suppose it could be due to relative population size differences.

IE, people who bet their lifesavings one blackjack hand once in their life are probably disproportionatly rich.  Even though more then half of them would fail at the game.   Simply because the sample size of "rich" is lower then the normal set sample size.

It is worth more study to find out exact details.  Not all rich people act that way of course, and not all poor people are saints.  One would have to see if the person with more money inherited it, or actually earned it and has an ethics set which causes them not to cheat.  It is possible there is a correlation between assertiveness and being unethical?  In this, the more a person is willing to be assertive and aggressive, the more they get, and the more they are likely to bend social norms to get somwhere (thus unethical).  And then, if after all this, it is a matter of which causes which.  Do people become more unethical when they become wealthier?

And then, after all these filters, there is another level of what it all means, and outcome as a result.  It would be pushing it severely to use things as they are now to say that the way to address the issues is to suddenly redistribute wealth.  Make rich poor and then ethics go up.

Well ther definitly is a correlation between assertiveness and unethical behavior.

Part of acting unethical is not giving a shit what other people thing.

A big cause for people not being assertive is worry about what people think.

As it is, i'd be interested in seeing the full results, since most of the study seems pretty poorly conceived.

For example... the first test in the study... seeing if people in nicer cars cut people off more often.

People in nicer cars on average work more hours... and more likely have somewhere to be.  Therefore, even with equal "ethics" it seems pretty obvious that people in nicer cars are going to cut people off more often.

The unemployed guy heading up to his friends house to kill some time isn't in a hurry.

Furthermore, people not in nice cars, are more likely to NOT have insurance, and also more likely to not be able to afford an accident, which again would mean more defensive driving would be standard. 

I mean, take two identical people, make one have somewhere to go, and car insurance vs the other, nowhere to go, and if his car breaks down he's riding the bus....

Seems pretty obvious. 

As it is... the study doesn't seem to be worth much based on the Ars Technica breakdown of it.  3 and 7 seem like the only ones that COULD be valid... and 3 seems to only be in regard to ethical issues which specifically involve money.  Which again, is pretty odd.

Do greedy people have more money?

Well yeah... because they care more about money... and work harder to get it.

Are greedy people more likely to have poorer ethics when money is involved?

Well yeah... because they care more about money... therefore it's worth more to them.

It doesn't actually mean someones ethics are "lower" though.  It could be that both actions have the same "Ethical" cost... but money is just more highly valued.

Example.  Take 2 children, both who think it's wrong to steal about equally.

Offer a sitatution where you can steal a barbie, and the kid that likes barbies more is more likely to steal it while the other isn't.

Offer a situation where you can steal a Gi joe, and maybe the other kid is willing to steal it while the other isn't.

Neither has worse ethics.  It's just based off of what your "offering".

I have to learn more about the methodology because I'm reminded of a lecture in University discussing how questioning people had to be done carefully to ensure you were measuring what you thought you were. One of his examples was asking people "Do you lie regularly?" to quantify how many people were honest; being that (essentially) everyone lies on a regular basis, it is likely that the most honest group of people would be rated as the least honest people in this survey.

Beyond that I'm reminded of the statement "virtue untested is no virtue at all" and I think the opportunity to do many unethical things is potentially disproportionately distributed to wealthier people.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
If you don't exploit people to get rich, you'll have to be very lucky to hit a break. It's just the ways things are nowadays.

Which is sad.

well I wonder if this is a case of all bad people are rich, or does having money make people become bad?

@Marks = sarcasm
@snakenobi
@leatherhat
@Jumpin
@pezus
@UnknownFact
@IIIIITHE1IIIII : yea, me to.

like these guys have already mentioned, this should not shock you one bit. this goes for politicians aswell. no need to read the article. i'm sure the way they did the study was broken, but that doesn't take away the fact that it's true.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
@Marks = sarcasm
@snakenobi
@leatherhat
@Jumpin
@pezus
@UnknownFact
@IIIIITHE1IIIII : yea, me to.

like these guys have already mentioned, this should not shock you one bit. this goes for politicians aswell. no need to read the article. i'm sure the way they did the study was broken, but that doesn't take away the fact that it's true.

Actually, it sorta does.  Anyone who's gone through a bachelors degree in a science should know how to run a successful study to test just about anything.

When said studies don't use such methods, it's generally considered this is the case because the researcher wanted said result, as was afraid a decent study would disprove them.

The funny thing about the soical sciences?  General perception seems wrong practically as a rule.

I can name about a dozen things off the top of my head that are so... a few quick ones?

Most people thing teen pregnancy, smoking, drug use, teen sex rates are up.   They're all actually down, or around historic averages.  Young people today are oddly more repsonsible then any have been for generations.

Most people expect democrats and liberals to be more chariatble, research tends to show the opposite, conservatives tend to donate more to charity...support for government welfare seems to correlate pretty evenly with distatse for private charity.

Sexual abuse of children is rampant in the catholic church.  Rates of sexual abuse against children in the catholic church are actually far lower then average when it comes to various places.  (The outrageous part is the way they handeld the rapists.)

Most people think rape has to do with sex.  The vast majority of rapes actually have little to do with sex and more to do with a need to show power.  As such, the way women dress is pretty irrelevent.

Most people thing stricter gunlaws prevent crimes.  Generally when stricter gun laws are put in place crime rises, and when they are removed, crime decreases.   Concealed carry laws being put in to place tends to lower crime.

Do you need a study to figure something like this out?