By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SNES cartridge assistance requested

Given the rise in write speeds to solid state devices, I wonder if anyone has tried replacing the battery backup RAM with a nonvolatile memory chip yet.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Thanks for the confirmation, Rath. And holy crap, I did not know that the SNES used CR2032's. That's surprisingly convenient!

Oh they use those? I just replaced the battery on my Sega Saturn the other day and it uses the same CR2032 battery as well! Admittedly it's a lot easier replacing that one than cracking open my SNES carts.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

well thank god most of my gAMES DONT USE GAMESAVES FOR SNES THEN cause that sucks, lol but n64 omg i had goldeneye die on me back in 99 or so pretty bad considering it was only 2 yrs of age

only snes games i have that save are made by nintendo the rest either are the type of game you get game over thats it or pass word screens , ,
 and yes its the battery  , any snes nes gb n64 game w those features will go out eventually

Thanks to all of you for pitching in!

superchunk said:
meh... my $8 spent on Wii VC is easier. :P

I gave my SNES cartridges to my sister. She still loves that system, but for whatever reason she doesn't want to play those same games on the VC. *shrug*

smbu2000 said:
noname2200 said:
Thanks for the confirmation, Rath. And holy crap, I did not know that the SNES used CR2032's. That's surprisingly convenient!

Oh they use those? I just replaced the battery on my Sega Saturn the other day and it uses the same CR2032 battery as well! Admittedly it's a lot easier replacing that one than cracking open my SNES carts.

That's actually why I have about a half dozen of those batteries lying around. My Saturn "died" about two years back, taking my Dragon Force save with it, so imagine my surprise when I found out that 1) the Saturn's system memory uses a battery, and 2) it's a very common battery.

I think you can change the battery, but it would be easier just to emulate

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
DarkCronos said:
try to look on youtube, there are tons of video-guides on how to replace dead batteries from old cartridge-games

Bingo.

Incredible how many silly questions appear on here that could easily, correctly and comprehensively answered through a youtube video or a google search.

I think people just want to show off or discuss boring stuff.

smbu2000 said:
noname2200 said:

No need for the exclamation mark, it's common knowledge. Also common knowledge that CR2032 batteries are used in cartridges from the 90s.

What exactly did people expect them to use? A pair of AAs?

sigh...Honestly!

fillet said:
smbu2000 said:
noname2200 said:

No need for the exclamation mark, it's common knowledge. Also common knowledge that CR2032 batteries are used in cartridges from the 90s.

sigh...Honestly!

Maybe it's common knowledge for you, but I've never had to crack open one of my NES/SNES games as the battery hasn't died on any of them as far as I know. In other words, I've never had to/bothered to check what battery is in them. All of my Super Famicom games I bought when I came to Japan, but they still save fine as well.

One thing I was surprised to find out was that the Japanese version of Dragon Quest 1 (Dragon Warrior 1) used passwords instead of a battery back-up for the game. I didn't know that they added the battery back-up for the western release of DW1/DQ1.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.

noname2200 said:
Thanks to all of you for pitching in!

superchunk said:
meh... my $8 spent on Wii VC is easier. :P

I gave my SNES cartridges to my sister. She still loves that system, but for whatever reason she doesn't want to play those same games on the VC. *shrug*

smbu2000 said:
noname2200 said:

That's actually why I have about a half dozen of those batteries lying around. My Saturn "died" about two years back, taking my Dragon Force save with it, so imagine my surprise when I found out that 1) the Saturn's system memory uses a battery, and 2) it's a very common battery.

I prefer playing on the console instead of using VC. I have VC games when I don't have the console or I can't find the game for a decent price. e.g. I bought Sin and Punishment as I don't have an N64. I didn't buy FF4/5/6 as I have the Super Famicom carts.

Yeah, the batteries seem to die pretty quickly in the Saturn. It's always good to have one of those storage/memory carts to back-up your saves. They can be a bit wonky though. I have a standard one that doesn't seem to work well and I have an Action Replay 4M Plus cart as well that doubles as a storage cart and a RAM cart. (I got that in 1997 or 1998 I believe)

fillet said:

sigh...Honestly!

My sincerest apologies for offending you and wasting your time. You've been very helpful.