By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei - Seaman on 3DS and maybe more 3rd party favourites to follow

Tagged games:

Source: http://andriasang.com/con012/seaman_3ds/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Seaman Coming to 3DS -- Nikkei

Nintendo planning on reviving other company's titles on 3DS. Plus, what were Miyamoto and Iwata eating when they came up with the DS?

The classic Dreamcast virtual pet sim Seaman will be revived on the 3DS, according to a report at the online edition of Nikkei.

In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics.

Seaman creator Yoot Saito, who's currently making one of the four games in Level-5's Guild 01 on 3DS, hinted back in June 2010 that Seaman could appear on 3DS.

Released by Sega in 1999, Seaman caused a sensation throughout Japan and became one of the Dreamcast's best selling games.

Nikkei's mention of Seaman came as part of a general report about Nintendo's earnings and future prospects.

The report also has a look at the construction grounds of Nintendo's new development studio, which is scheduled to open at the end of December 2013. Construction is taking place on the land of a former golf practice grounds. Iwata was a regular at an Italian restaurant on the second floor of the facility, and his companion was always Shigeru Miyamoto. According to Nikkei, it's at this restaurant that the two finalized the concept for the Nintendo DS.

This picture from Nikkei shows the lot for Nintendo's new development studio. The main Nintendo HQ is in the background.
I'm happy, but I wish it were Skies of Arcadia instead.  I'm also quite surprised Seaman sold so well in Japan, it also struck me as a niche game that would struggle to sell.

Around the Network

Incredible news. Go NINTENDO!

Come on get this to America I will eat this up!

Former something....

oh, and inb4 jokes about semen coming towards the player in 3D

MrT-Tar said:
oh, and inb4 jokes about semen coming towards the player in 3D

*waits for badgenome*

Around the Network

Damn already too late... I wanted to say this article would be ten times funnier if the game was named Seamen.

Signature goes here!

My favorite part of the article is

"In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics."

It was about damn time! At last they get the memo.

happydolphin said:

"In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics."

I wonder how they convince 3rd parties to make a new installment in a dormant franchise.  The most straight forward method would be through a sort of moneyhat, but I'm expecting it will be through a publishing/marketing deal as well.

MrT-Tar said:
happydolphin said:

I wonder how they convince 3rd parties to make a new installment in a dormant franchise.  The most straight forward method would be through a sort of moneyhat, but I'm expecting it will be through a publishing/marketing deal as well.

Bang on! Though moneyhatting seems a little shallow of a word. Try funding. Nintendo will fund the development of the game as part of a contract, where they're given a share of the returns. The funding would most likely extend to publishing/marketing for sure!

I'm not an insider, so I don't know for sure, but if Revelaitons is any indicator, it sure looks like this.

So Nintendo can say, for instance, instead of funding casual efforts, let's inject money (to a lesser extent but still) in business partners so they can bring in games and IPs we can't come up with ourselves (à la non-jimae-shugi if you know what I mean).

I would love to see a new (2D) Alex Kid game from Sega.