By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Alaska Bill Would Criminalize Invasive TSA Pat Downs

SamuelRSmith said:
HappySqurriel said:
One thing that I have never really understood is why can't the constitutionality of a bill be challenged by anyone?

It would seem to me that any citizen, or group of citizens, whould be able to challenge constitutionality of any municipal, state or federal law passed regardless of whether they have been charged with breaking it.

It is my understanding that anybody can challenge constitutionality. The problem lies in the fact that it's an incredibly expensive and long process. As such, only those with sufficient means, or those who have been severely affected by a law, will ever go through the process.

---

It's amazing that the Founders missed out on the biggest (and most obvious) flaw in the Constitution... that it's just so easy to ignore. Maybe there should have been a clause that subjects every bill to scrutiny of the courts before becoming law. Obviously, when the Constitution was devised, Congress was more likely to defend the Constitution, anyway, due to the appointment of Senators. Nevertheless, the Constitution was subverted almost instantly: the second President passed laws infringing on the Freedom of Speech (John Adams, Alien and Sedition Act) - the very same people who wrote and voted for the Constitution, wrote and voted for a law that infringed on the most fundamental right in the Constitution.

Remember that the Federalists of the day did not necessarily support the First Amendment, or anything on the Bill of Rights. It's an Amendment and not an Article for a reason.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

im fairly confident that people trained to identify suspicious behaviour in passengers rather than trained on how to properly cup a nut sack would be far more efficient at stopping terrorist threats.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
im fairly confident that people trained to identify suspicious behaviour in passengers rather than trained on how to properly cup a nut sack would be far more efficient at stopping terrorist threats.

I am certain that they are trained to identify suspicious behavior, and there is an extensive network of professionals (FBI and such) out there doing the real work of keeping us safe. It is a valid question of how much TSA stuff is actually security and how much is simply there to give the appearance of security

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Good! I've never been subject to one of these invasive pat-downs, but this is a good thing for all the people who have.