By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario is to blame for Nintendo's financial troubles?

Tagged games:

Is he?

Yes 25 9.96%

No 187 74.50%

Possibly 18 7.17%

See results 20 7.97%

Total:250
usrevenge said:
the only problem i see is nintendo leaning on their past successes instead of making totally new games.
make something unique, and not flail your arms for controls unique. when Mario came to the n64 each game was differnt from the rest of the market..
mario 64 was an amazing 3d platformer that took a long time to beat
mario party was amazing
mario tennis was a lot of fun for those who never played it is the only tennis game i can bare to play.

as the gameing industry progresses nintendo has been left in the dust.
super mario sunshine was good but not as great as 64. galaxy compared to 64 is garbage.. heck i beat galaxy 2 THE DAY I BOUGHT IT. and it wasn't even a 24/7 ordeal it was more like 8 hours.
mario party on the gamecube and wii have been pretty bad... the original is still the best, now they just add weird gimmicks to it, havent played the latest one ( is it 9?) but i heard everyone moves at the same time to the same place (fail) so no.
nintendo does this with all their games.
i mean, skyward sword, would have been amazing on the game cube or n64. but completely overshadowed by skyrim which looks better and has dozens of hours of more content, its also truely open world.

what should nintendo do?
make a new IP, Or use existing characters for entirely new games
pokemon/legend of zelda with skyrim sized and open world? winner.
the original mario party, make another 2 dozen maps and another 100 games with internet play, release it for $30??? such a bargain everyone would buy = winner.
pokemon but real time combat if I thunderbolt an incoming hydropump ( while dodging left or right) the current should go back through the water.
give us pokemon combat equal to the TV show.

I'd say about half of that makes sense.

Nintendo do not lean on their past, in their past they were on a constant decline since the NES but managed to turn it around this generation thanks to innovative gameplay mechanics (dual/touch screen, motion controls) and new IP's to back them up. The Wii series and all brain training games are some great examples of that.

I'll skip your Galaxy/Skyward trash talking and Nintendo 64 praising as it's your opinion. And that last Pokémon comment is just a big wtf.

Around the Network
usrevenge said:
the only problem i see is nintendo leaning on their past successes instead of making totally new games.
make something unique, and not flail your arms for controls unique. when Mario came to the n64 each game was differnt from the rest of the market..
mario 64 was an amazing 3d platformer that took a long time to beat
mario party was amazing
mario tennis was a lot of fun for those who never played it is the only tennis game i can bare to play.

as the gameing industry progresses nintendo has been left in the dust.
super mario sunshine was good but not as great as 64. galaxy compared to 64 is garbage.. heck i beat galaxy 2 THE DAY I BOUGHT IT. and it wasn't even a 24/7 ordeal it was more like 8 hours.
mario party on the gamecube and wii have been pretty bad... the original is still the best, now they just add weird gimmicks to it, havent played the latest one ( is it 9?) but i heard everyone moves at the same time to the same place (fail) so no.
nintendo does this with all their games.
i mean, skyward sword, would have been amazing on the game cube or n64. but completely overshadowed by skyrim which looks better and has dozens of hours of more content, its also truely open world.

what should nintendo do?
make a new IP, Or use existing characters for entirely new games
pokemon/legend of zelda with skyrim sized and open world? winner.
the original mario party, make another 2 dozen maps and another 100 games with internet play, release it for $30??? such a bargain everyone would buy = winner.
pokemon but real time combat if I thunderbolt an incoming hydropump ( while dodging left or right) the current should go back through the water.
give us pokemon combat equal to the TV show.

I agree with some of your point.

But I think we as a gamer that prevent the innovation in gameplay. It's like supply and demand.

For example: Call of Duty franchise right now. In term of gameplay innovation, it's stagnant and lack noticable innovation. But we still buy it every year. Actually, worse than that, more people buy that franchise from year to year.

Another example is Mario (platformer), people doesn't like 3D Mario as much as 2D Mario (from sales perspective). That's why they try to move their 3D Mario gameplay design as close as it can be to 2D Mario gameplay design, like we can see the progress from Mario 64 to the latest one Super Mario 3D Land.

SmokedHostage said:
I call SULLBHIT!

Super Mario Bros. is gaming's original killer app. Too bad Nintendo isn't interested in making it anymore.

A new Super Mario Bros. will be on 3DS and WiiU, bet on that!

ninty_shareholder64 said:
SmokedHostage said:
I call SULLBHIT!

Super Mario Bros. is gaming's original killer app. Too bad Nintendo isn't interested in making it anymore.

A new Super Mario Bros. will be on 3DS and WiiU, bet on that!

Well, they're both confirmed so... =)

BasilZero said:
You cant blame a IP or a brand , it all comes down to the publisher/developer on what they do.

Mario isnt blamed, if there is any blame, it should be towards Nintendo , not mario.

I think you're being to literal. This whole article is about Nintendo focusing too much on Mario instead of making new IP's. But yeah, you're still right.

Around the Network

He’s a genius!!

so yeah instead of releasing something that sells they should instead focus on something that might not work! genius! wow if Nintendo listened to what the media had to say they would have been dead long ago! there are lots of new IP's but it so happens that these IP's don't appeal too some people but that does not mean they don't exist as new IP's! did people forget Steel Diver? oh yeah thats a new IP that did not sell that well. it seems that a new IP has to sell millions for it to be seen as a new IP from Nintendo!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

This is an obvious no. Mario has always helped Nintendo out with sales. What does Nintendo do when a new HW isn't selling? They roll in the Mario Tank, which sky-rockets the sales. After that happens then the user base for that hard ware keeps growing and growing. While it is growing other devs. take notice and start making things for their new hardware, which in turn makes the user base even bigger creating better sales of all games. It is just a wonderful thing that Nintendo is able to do, they start a chain reaction.

This article has it right. The growing domination of Mario games on Nintendo's systems hurts third parties and thus makes it difficult to broaden the audience. 3DS is a perfect example : Mario games are still in the top 10 in every market while smaller releases drop like a rock (when they can manage a decent opening).

ryuzaki57 said:
This article has it right. The growing domination of Mario games on Nintendo's systems hurts third parties and thus makes it difficult to broaden the audience. 3DS is a perfect example : Mario games are still in the top 10 in every market while smaller releases drop like a rock (when they can manage a decent opening).

It isn't Mario or Nintendo's fault that the 3rd party titles do not sell well. The 3rd parties need to take it upon themselves that they need to promote their product more. Nintendo has their own things they need to deal with and promoting 3rd party titles is not on that list. Of course Mario genrates a huge chunk of attention but the 3rd party games need to get it together if they want their games to sell. Just look at the Japan SW list; MH and RE are up their in the Top 10 and they are both 3rd party 3DS games. It's because they created a name for themselves and marketed their product.

f**k it, just keep making Mario stuff. Works for COD