By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Abu Dhabi - FORMULA 1 2015

Conegamer said:
zuvuyeay said:
i should check the last couple of monacos and see who held on from pole,i guess they will use the undercut/pits when tyres are going if need be but traffic might play its part i guess

Webber managed it, but I think one year Hamilton came from way back because he crashed into the barrier to win. Also, a couple years back Vettel won with a massive queue behind him which caused that massive crash with Sutil (I think?) where there was like 14 cars on one straight.

But last year, all I remember is Schumacher being sent to 6th from pole for some reason, and Button being stuck behind a Caterham for 60% of the race, not being able to overtake him at all. 

yes i rememebr that crash too and a near miss with rosberg too at the same place,i think thats where you can squeeze past too somewhere anyway,i guess if alonso or vettel get on pole then it probably is theirs to lose but everyone else either doesn't start well,dodgy tryes or might mess up

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:
Angelus said:
zuvuyeay said:
i don't think getting past someone is as tough as it was in monaco especially if your tyres have gone and drs

That's a good point actually, they didn't use DRS in Monaco last year. Are they definitely using it this time?

don't they use drs there,i thought it was at every track but i just assumed that but i still wouldn't bet any money on a merc hanging on if their tyres are like the last two races,red bull,lotus and ferrari would gobble them up

Monaco was the one race where they disabled the use of DRS last year I think.

I'm hoping that the Mercs make some progress with their tyre situation, and I think Monaco will be a better track for them than the last two. Don't think I'd bet money on them either though lol.

Conegamer said:
zuvuyeay said:
i should check the last couple of monacos and see who held on from pole,i guess they will use the undercut/pits when tyres are going if need be but traffic might play its part i guess

Webber managed it, but I think one year Hamilton came from way back because he crashed into the barrier to win. Also, a couple years back Vettel won with a massive queue behind him which caused that massive crash with Sutil (I think?) where there was like 14 cars on one straight.

But last year, all I remember is Schumacher being sent to 6th from pole for some reason, and Button being stuck behind a Caterham for 60% of the race, not being able to overtake him at all. 

Not quite, Hamilton won in 2008, but he started from 3rd. It's the only year since 2004 though that anyone other than the pole-sitter won.

Proclus said:
Conegamer said:
zuvuyeay said:

Not quite, Hamilton won in 2008, but he started from 3rd. It's the only year since 2004 though that anyone other than the pole-sitter won.

wow,well that puts me right then,if kimi,vettel or alonso get pole then the others better not have other cars inbetween them

Above & Beyond

How will the tyre wear be for Mercedes at Monaco?

Should I actually vote for them this time?

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

It's a gamble, but it could potentially pay off at this race. Maybe.

brendude13 said:

Depends on the tyres Pirelli choose to run at Monaco. The harder the compound the better it suits the Mercs.. or so i am lead to believe going by Sky's commentary.

Last year after Monaco Mercedes had a slow car with bad tyre wear. Now they have a fast car with bad tyre management. Some would say that's a step in the right direction. instead of concentrating on both speed and tyres thay can now just concentrate on tyres.

On the topic of tyres: Pirelli seems to be under fire and may build new tyres in time for the British GP.

I would welcome that move. At the same time it would be unfair to teams like Lotus and Ferrari that spent a lot of time and money developing their cars to handle the current tyres where others could not.

In that case I hope ( as some pundits predict ) that such a change would only aid teams like Lotus even more as their cars can manage their tyres better regardless of the compound.

zuvuyeay said:
Proclus said:
Conegamer said:
zuvuyeay said:

wow,well that puts me right then,if kimi,vettel or alonso get pole then the others better not have other cars inbetween them

I can see either red-bull's, merc's or ferrari's get pole, Kimi not so much to be honest.

I know my pole predictions weren't great last time, but I'll say this time it should be Webber, Alonso, Felipe or Rosberg.

Pirelli to introduce revised tyres from Canada onwards

Formula One racing’s official tyre suppliers Pirelli have announced that they will be providing tyres with a revised construction from the Canadian Grand Prix onwards.

The Italian company said after last weekend’s race in Spain - in which several drivers made four tyre stops - that they would make changes ahead of the British Grand Prix, but they have now decided to introduce revised rubber a race earlier, in Montreal, to bring the number of stops into line with their stated aim of two to three stops per car, per race.

According to Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery, the new tyre range will combine elements from the 2012 and 2013 tyres to achieve both durability and performance.

“Our aim is to provide the teams with a new range which mixes the stability of the 2012 tyres and the performance of the current ones,” he said.

“As a company, we have always moved quickly to make improvements where we see them to be necessary. After evaluating data from the first few races this year, we’ve decided to introduce a further evolution as it became clear at the Spanish Grand Prix that the number of pit stops was too high.

“The Spanish Grand Prix was won with four pit stops, which has only happened once before in our history. These changes will also mean that the tyres are not worked quite as hard, reducing the number of pit stops.”

Hembery also confirmed that the changes would stop the recent spate of tyre delaminations caused by track debris: “It’s important to point out that these delaminations, which occur when the tread comes off, do not compromise the safety of the tyres as the core structure of the tyre is not affected in any way, helping drivers to complete the lap and to change the damaged tyres safely,” he explained.

“These delaminations were due to damage from debris that overheated the tread. We’d like to thank all the teams for their continued and extremely valued support as we worked with them to identify the correct compromise between the pure speed that makes us the world leader in the Ultra High Performance sector and a global spectacle that is easy for Formula One fans to follow.”

-------------------------------------------

The move comes just after Bernie Ecclestone made some harsh statements following a day after Red-Bull's owner Dietrich MateSchitzh told Mr. Ecclestone that "This has nothing to do with racing any more , it’s about tyre management".

A day before the move to change the Tyres Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said that while Pirelli do not want to produce four-stop races, it did not want to be seen as favouring Red Bull either, stating:

“You can imagine, though, if we make a change, that it might be seen that we’re making tyres for Red Bull in particular,”.

He however isn't sure that it won't work in RBR's favour.

That's big news. Wondering who it effects the most. Mercedes? Red-Bull?