By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Incoming CEO to reshape Sony using PlayStation strategy

I believe in Kaz.

Around the Network

I dunno, applying a strategy that involves selling software as the way of making hardware turn a profit doesn;t seem like it would be the right strategy for selling TVs.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
Whats the next gen technology for TVs after LCD hes refering to?
OLEDs?

Well it goes LCD to LED to 3D LED's, other specs improving too such as refresh rates.

At CES Sony said they werent going OLED but instead were going to invest in Crystal LED's.

So when he says:

"Hirai predicted that LCD technology would remain the main battlefield in TVs for at least three years, before next generation technology takes hold."

does he mean nextgen tech is crystal LEDs? (Or possibly crystal LEDs) What I wander is, what is considered n entirely new generation of TV technology and what is not, because from what I understand current LEDs are just LCDs with some different lighting spread inside the screen (I have no idea really). 

Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
OLEDs?

Well it goes LCD to LED to 3D LED's, other specs improving too such as refresh rates.

At CES Sony said they werent going OLED but instead were going to invest in Crystal LED's.

So when he says:

"Hirai predicted that LCD technology would remain the main battlefield in TVs for at least three years, before next generation technology takes hold."

does he mean nextgen tech is crystal LEDs? (Or possibly crystal LEDs) What I wander is, what is considered n entirely new generation of TV technology and what is not, because from what I understand current LEDs are just LCDs with some different lighting spread inside the screen (I have no idea really). 

You are correct, LEDs are LCDs. A generation jump would be like Plasmas to LCDs. So yes LED's are here to stay for a while. (Crystal LED's still counting as LED's) However, most would say OLED's are a generation jump. He is partially right because OLED's are much to expensive and will remain that way for years to come; what i mean is LCDs are much more mainstream right now even to LED panels because of pricing. It will be years unitl we see OLEDs become mainstream much like 3D tv's.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
OLEDs?

So when he says:

You are correct, LEDs are LCDs. A generation jump would be like Plasmas to LCDs. So yes LED's are here to stay for a while. (Crystal LED's still counting as LED's) However, most would say OLED's are a generation jump. He is partially right because OLED's are much to expensive and will remain that way for years to come; what i mean is LCDs are much more mainstream right now even to LED panels because of pricing. It will be years unitl we see OLEDs become mainstream much like 3D tv's.

CLED's do not count as LED. One the LED's are backlights = LED LCD. The other the screen is actually made of 5? million LED's = Crystal LED.

Around the Network

The pressure!!

Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
OLEDs?

So when he says:

So I take it that OLEDs are the main bet for next gen TV tech. Hopefully they dont become mainstream too quickly though because I don't even have a LCD as the main living room TV yet. It would suck to spend $2500 on a flashy big LED and have it be obsolete and just a few years time.

Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
OLEDs?

So when he says:

So I take it that OLEDs are the main bet for next gen TV tech. Hopefully they dont become mainstream too quickly though because I don't even have a LCD as the main living room TV yet. It would suck to spend $2500 on a flashy big LED and have it be obsolete and just a few years time.

Well tech will evolve every year and fast

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
Solid-Stark said:
Slimebeast said:
OLEDs?

So when he says:

It could be OLED but they have a short lifespan. CLED supposedly have all the positives of OLED without the negitives but it's nowhere near market yet.