By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - CES 2008: PS3, Blu-ray in 45% U.S households by 2011

CES 2008: PS3, Blu-ray in 45% U.S households by 2011

by Marcus Lai

Sony Corp. this week published a new advert at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show that claims a 45 percent adoption rate of Blu-ray in the U.S. by 2011.

The annual CES showcases the latest innovations in technology in Las Vegas, NV.

In the advert, Blu-ray Today, 32 percent of households are projected to own Blu-ray players and 15 percent of households are projected to own a Playstation 3 by 2011. The figures are cited to research firm Understanding & Solutions.

In addition, the report claims less than 5 percent of household adoption for HD DVD by 2011.

Blu-ray disc sales held 61 percent of sales in the U.S. in 2007, compared to 39 percent for HD DVD according to Nielsen VideoScan.

Nearly three million PS3 units have been sold in the U.S. to date.

The latest Playstation model includes a Blu-ray disc drive to view high-definition video out of the box.

Sony this week announced sales of 1.2 million PS3 units in North America during the holiday retail sales period.

Sony in Nov. released Blu-ray Profile 1.1 to the PS3, a firmware update that includes a Picture in Picture feature and other enhancements for compatible discs.

The Blu-ray Disc Association in Dec. said that 2.7 million players have been sold through to U.S. consumers. The HD DVD Promotions Group in Nov. said that 750,000 HD DVD players have been sold through to consumers.

source: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5377

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

interesting numbers, personally i think it's overly optimistic.  isn't the projected HDTV adoption rate only suppose to be about 50% by 2010?  well anyways....

Around the Network

there is a chance of this IF they can get more HDTVs of all brands into more homes.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Good one for Sony!

I know that i use the Blu-ray player in my PS3 anyway, i just can't make myself buy anything on DVD anymore... I think i have been spoiled by 1080p goodness :P lol

I think it is possible since even people without HDTV's can buy a PS3. I find it highly improbable though.

I hate this!

I was pissed off when FOX, Warner were touting PS3 sales as Bluray players to play their movies on. Sony is really playing a very dangerous game here. They are pushing the PS3 Bluray player so hard that it's getting neglected as a game player. I support the PlayStation/Sony as a gaming products, not this stupid Bluray. I feel abused and used by Sony who seem to be using their gaming fans to promote Bluray for movies and have ulterior motives.

Around the Network
jhlennon1 said:
I hate this!

I was pissed off when FOX, Warner were touting PS3 sales as Bluray players to play their movies on. Sony is really playing a very dangerous game here. They are pushing the PS3 Bluray player so hard that it's getting neglected as a game player. I support the PlayStation/Sony as a gaming products, not this stupid Bluray. I feel abused and used by Sony who seem to be using their gaming fans to promote Bluray for movies and have ulterior motives.

wow i never though about it this way

that does seems rather..possible if you think about

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

@jhlennon1

I'm actually thrilled with the software the ps3 had during its first year.

Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank, CoD4, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Eye of Judgment, Rock Band, GHIII, Ninja Gaiden Sigma....

What did the 360 have its first year? Well, it had, PGR, and ?, and ?....hmm...BUT its second year it got some good games--Halo 3, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, etc.

I'm not knocking the 360, I have one and love mine...I'm just saying that I'm sick of retards knocking the software for the ps3 on its first year and claiming that Sony doesn't care about gaming. Sure, it's not as good as the 360's SECOND year software, but it's definitely better than the 360's first year.

Besides, Sony has some amazing games coming out this year, that will rival the 360's amazing second year.

Sony is in this to make a profit...and to do that in an increasingly competitive gaming world, they are having to expand their gaming division and make it more of a multimedia division. I love it...and I love my ps3 games, look forward to the games coming, and I LOVE my blu-ray player--that's why I own over 60 now.

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

Neos said:
jhlennon1 said:
I hate this!

wow i never though about it this way

that does seems rather..possible if you think about

Well, dude, think about this.

FOX/Warner both said that their were 3.5mil Bluray players in NA, 3mil of them were PS3's. We know that Toshiba said that 1mil HD DVD players were in NA. You then have that Bluray movies were greatly outselling HD DVD movies all year despite and that the PS3 game sales have not exactly been impressive in NA. You put them together and you get that the PS3 is being used as a BR player which is a major problem for us gamers...

@Sorrow880

The games available for the PS3 is not where the problem lies. The problem lies with how many of these PS3 owners actually give a damn about gaming? I think evidence is starting to clearly show that many PS3 owners areusing the PS3 as a BR player and a buying movies. I am very excited about the PS3 upcoming library as well but that does us no good if PS3 owners don't want to buy games in NA.

I can believe (though not fully convinced yet) that 45% of households will have BluRay players by 2011, I'm not convinced in any way at all that they will be mainly PS3's.

Auron said:
I think it is possible since even people without HDTV's can buy a PS3. I find it highly improbable though.
I have a PS3 without it being connected to an HDTV for most of the time, and I have 12 blu-rays