By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Official US Politics Thread 'Ron Paul quietly amassing an army of delegates while GOP frontrunners spar' and 'Mitt Romney rebounds against the Santorum surge'

So to sum it up...Obama is going to serve another term(?)

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:

While i agree here.  I do think he could convince quite a few people who a fiscal moderates, if only because there hasn't been anything resembling a fiscal moderate in the US in a  LONG time.

I think the window has closed on Paul, but if he were 20 years younger... i wouldn't be surprised if he would of got elected in one of the next 2 elections.

It's interesting in that I think in the next couple years you'll see Ron Paul rush to become a "King Maker" on the libretarian stage... and try and pass on the reigns to someoen else, probably his son, but there are always others in the Libretarian part.

The thing about Ron Paul that you probably don't get in New Zealand is there are a lot of people who support... well Ron Paul.  Not so much Libretarians in general.  He just has some kind of weird force of will that gets people behind him, and without him, there is like 1/4th the support.

It was the Same with Ralph Nader and the green party.  Without Ralph, they're jokes, even though policy wise they're the same.

Why Ron Paul holds this kind of Charisma... I can't say honestly, I like the guy, but he's far from what I'd consider charismatic, i mean, no offense meant to him, but if i'm not looking at the TV when i hear him speak, i think it's an old woman talking.

He also isn't much to look at. When Newt Fricking Gingrich is more telegenic than you, you know you've got a problem...

That's sorta my point though.  He's not telegenic yet his appeal FAR outpaces that of the libretarian party if they ran another candidate.

He's built a lot of foward momentum the last few elections, that may end up wasted soley because he's old as the hills.

If he could successfully pass over the appeal to his son or another... I think you'd be surprised how much headway could be made.

Unlike most of the countries, for a third party to be viable in the US, they might just have to capture the top spot first.

Either that or just an outright revolt of sitting senators of a certain group.  IE say Liberals seeceeding from the Democratic party.  Though that seems only viable when part of the minority party, otherwise why give up those powers.

So perhaps it would be more likely that a block of socially liberal republicans, or Union democrats would scede from their party then caucus with the majority party.

What do Americans think of the idea of proportional representation?

Rath said:

We have become very attached to the idea that our congressman represents us, that is, that he or she is a local individual that really gets into our community. Thus we would have an issue with party lists, where you essentially only get the "elites" from each party in.

I believe PR would fare poorly in America, unless we did PR within states (such that, say, of the 15 or so Representatives you get from Pennsylvania, they would be selected by party lists within the state), partially because the winner-take-all system clashing with the two-party system forces the political parties to stitch together alliances across regions, whereas under PR the Democrats, for instance, could just focus exclusively on getting out the vote on the coasts and in the big cities and not have to worry about what other regions think.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Rath said:

We have become very attached to the idea that our congressman represents us, that is, that he or she is a local individual that really gets into our community.

Yes, we like that idea, but it's not true.  Congressmen typically represent their party, or movement (such as the Tea Party), nothing more.  They don't represent us, they represent one flawed one-size-fits-all ideology or the other.

Around the Network
Fayceless said:
Mr Khan said:
Rath said:

We have become very attached to the idea that our congressman represents us, that is, that he or she is a local individual that really gets into our community.

Yes, we like that idea, but it's not true.  Congressmen typically represent their party, or movement (such as the Tea Party), nothing more.  They don't represent us, they represent one flawed one-size-fits-all ideology or the other.

There is effective regional variation. A Chicago Democrat and a Montana Democrat are going to have distinct views on gun control, for instance, simply because of the differences in urban and western rural lifestyle. Similarly, an Orange County Republican and an Oklahoma Republican may have critically different views on, say, contraception.

There is significant pressure within the political parties for everyone to move in lock-step, but the simple reality is that America and Americans are too varied for a 2-party system to be more than two broad coalitions that happen to exist along whatever the broadest divide in society is at the moment.

With proportional representation, we could get more disciplined parties that behaved more ideologically, but then there would be more of them so you could take a party that much more closely matched your personal views, but these parties would be regionally lopsided (imagine a political party centered around the views of Union workers, which would likely be heavily biased towards the broader Great Lakes region), weakening the notion of national unity

Sorry for the double post, but i would like to gauge opinions on potential VP Candidates (to go with whoever wins the GOP nomination), as well as potential candidates for 2016 (assuming Republicans lose on this)

To strategize, i'd say Sam Brownback (Kansas Governor/senator) would be the best VP match for Romney, Bob McDonnell (Virginia Governor) for Santorum, and Tim Pawlenty (Gov Minnesota) for Gingrich

Pawlenty and McDonnell would also likely make good 2016 candidates. I am much less certain as to who is up-and-coming in the Democratic party, oddly, despite them being my party of choice.

Mr Khan said:
Rath said:

We have become very attached to the idea that our congressman represents us, that is, that he or she is a local individual that really gets into our community. Thus we would have an issue with party lists, where you essentially only get the "elites" from each party in.

I believe PR would fare poorly in America, unless we did PR within states (such that, say, of the 15 or so Representatives you get from Pennsylvania, they would be selected by party lists within the state), partially because the winner-take-all system clashing with the two-party system forces the political parties to stitch together alliances across regions, whereas under PR the Democrats, for instance, could just focus exclusively on getting out the vote on the coasts and in the big cities and not have to worry about what other regions think.

Even that might be tricky.

Heck, recently where my parents live they went the opposite way.  Now each city councilmen represents a ward.

Politicians do not represent the average mug citizen. They only represent the ideology their political party believes in. Politicians are guaranteed huge tax payer funded entitlements for life once they retire or get booted out of office. Only 50% of US citizens of voting age bother to vote because it does not matter if either of the two main parties gets into power.

Politicians, on average, tend to represent their financiers.

The rEVOLution is not being televised