By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I buy a Wii just for light gun type games?

I'm in a really bad dilemma right now,

I just got Time Crisis 4 for PS3 last week and honestly, despite the reviews, I like it. It's not that it's an amazing game but I always liked rail shooters. Unfortunately, there's nothing more to do after beating the game twice and there's not much rail shooters coming out for Xbox 360 or PS3. Seeing that Wii will get most rail shooters out there this generation because of the controllers, do you think I should get a Wii just for this purpose? I haven't actually had the chance to try Wii yet but I think I'll like Ghost Squad since I like it in arcades.

Is handling the Wiimote just like handling the Guncon 3 in terms of accuracy? I mean, when you aim the Wiimote at something, does it shoot at that particular place? Or the Wiimote just logs the motion of your hand and calculates the coordinates of the crosshair from there? ---> which means that when you change your distance from the screen, the Wiimote will miscalculate the coordinates and not aim dead on from the sights?

Remember, I have 2 Xbox 360s and a PS3 already although I haven't got myself anything this holiday season yet so I'm either buying a Wii or just upgrading my PC.

Around the Network

There definietly isn't a probalem with the communication between the reticule and your hand. That's one thing teh Wii controller has going for it...pixel-perfect accuracy.

You'll also enjoy non-rail games like RE4 and Metroid Prime 3.

I would say don't buy it just for these games (unless you have bunches of money lying around), but that you should look at the rest of the top quality software the Wii has to offer and ask yourself "Will I like those kind of games?" Fellow poster SNAP bought the Wii for Red Steel and Zelda...but he hates it now.

Always choose wisely....and for yourself. And if you set yourself up to hate it when you get it....you will.

^^

Well yeah I guess, but I'll definitely like the rail shooters out for it and I'm just curious how the wiimote aims. Does it aim like a light gun specially since the Blaster attachment is already out for it?

If you really like rail shooters get a Wii now !

i would recomend it--i am a huge fan of the style and i am very happy with it---i cant wai--i just bought soe nice gun shells to take it to the next level

Around the Network
kcua_626 said:
^^

Well yeah I guess, but I'll definitely like the rail shooters out for it and I'm just curious how the wiimote aims. Does it aim like a light gun specially since the Blaster attachment is already out for it?

No...it aims like a mouse pointer.  

Definitely. I'm a big light gun fan and I'm impressed. The Wiimote isn't perfect but it's close enough and games like Ghost Squad allow you to fine tune the aiming by shooting at the edges of your TV so the sensor bar can be a bit more accurate.

It's got RE:UC, Link's Crossbow Training and Ghost Squad out and House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return on the way. If they sell reasonably I expect we'll get a load more arcade ports and a few brand new games.

Plus the Wii's dirt cheap

kcua_626 said:

Is handling the Wiimote just like handling the Guncon 3 in terms of accuracy? I mean, when you aim the Wiimote at something, does it shoot at that particular place? Or the Wiimote just logs the motion of your hand and calculates the coordinates of the crosshair from there? ---> which means that when you change your distance from the screen, the Wiimote will miscalculate the coordinates and not aim dead on from the sights?

The IR camera in the remote has a resolution of 1024x768, which is higher than the Wii's display resolution, so it's pixel-perfect.  It also knows how far away from the screen you are by how far apart the IR lights on the sensor bar are.

I wouldn't suggest buying a Wii just for the potential to have great rail shooters, though.  Play the rail shooters for the Wii, and if you like them, buy it.  More will be coming, and you can always buy a Wii in the future if you don't like what's out there now.

OK thanks guys, although it aims like a mouse, I guess it'll stay relatively accurate after calibrating the with the screen so long as I avoid moving too much =) I guess I'll just go try it out, sad that it's just a little hard to come by right now =(

Come for the Rail Shooters, stay for the chicken-fried Wiki.