By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Spain unemployment now 5m (22.8%), Highest in industrialised world.

Slimebeast said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Slimebeast said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
mrstickball said:
'tis what happens when you have a rampant social welfare state without the economy to back it.

Hopefully they get their government spending and labor laws under control. Once they do that, I am sure they can make a strong recovery. BTW Troll_Whisperer, where did you move to once you left Spain?

I came to the UK when I was 18 to learn English, then decided to get my degree here and then I stayed longer just because I like it better here. I've never actually worked in Spain, but I've been working full-time for 6 years in the UK, even while I was studying full-time. I'm leaving soon though, I'm going to live in Japan with my fiancée in June or so.

And when was it that you began to rehabilitate trolls?

How come u liked it better in the UK than Spain? Just curious. If I was a spaniard I wouldn't leave Spain with such nice culture, landscapes and weather and stuff, including chicks.

Well, where I come from in Spain the weather is not that good, it rains much more than in London, though we also get many more sunny days. I like London because it is such a blend of cultures. This also has a lot of cons, but in here I've been able to meet many interesting people.

But mostly it's just a personal thing. I come from a working class family in Spain and my mum had no money to afford a flat so we were living with my grandma (after getting two degrees and a masters my mum finally got a good job and she's saving a lot now, but she works in Central America and has no flat in Spain). I lived in a quiet town in the suburbs of my city. I couldn't take that anymore, so I went for independence, and what can give me more independence from a previous life tha living abroad? The UK was the perfect choice because learning the language was an opportunity for me and obviously because, being European, I didn't need any paperwork to live and work. I came with 400 pounds with an Easyjet flight, and I'm happy of my decission. Now I am fluent in English, I have a degree in London, a lot of savings for someone my age, and a Japanese fiancée.

And now I'm ready to move on to something else. I guess I don't like doing the same thing for too long.

Interesting story! Why is your mom moved to S America of all places?

And how did u find a Japanese chick, and will she want to stay in Japan permanently when you two go there?

My mum works for an NGO, she's in charge of some projects in Nicaragua. She takes care of the budgets, relations with politicians, etc. She just went were she was needed.

About my fiancée, I just met her in my shitty job in London. That's why I like this city, you can meet many different people anywhere. She doesn't want to stay in Japan permanently, it was my decission to go there for a few years at least. However, she prefers living in Spain, she can't stand the busy life and pressing society in Japan. So I may go back to Spain in a few years.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

You have to keep in mind that statistics like unemployment aren't always completely honest and comparable between countries. For instance the way each are measured are completely different in each country and there are many ways a country hides its unemployed. The reason for this is there is an idea that positive thinking is all that is needed to prevent economic crisis so negative information is either hidden or spun into positive light.

If you compare country A which has a perpetual unemployment benefit more people proportionally will register as 'looking for a job' than in country B which has a finite unemployment benefit. There really is no 'good' way to compare because different countries and cultures have different ways of doing things and different demographics.

Tease.