By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN: Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

PlaystaionGamer said:
Millenium said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Wow!!

Thats is a fanboyism working at its best.

360 is able to run any PS3 exclusive, serius guys, there is nothing in Uncharted 2 and 3 that is impossible to achieve with 360 hardware. Just give them a plastic engine, time, and MONEY and a good team of developers could make wonderful things.

The problema with PS3 fanboys is that they were iluded by Sony that lauched a hardware 50% more expensive one year later. And now, 6 years later they can only bost a handfull of games that "would be impossible on the 360"...

Well, I can only say to that: "Cross game chatting".

if the 360 could run Uncharted 2/3, Killzone 2/3 graphics.. then why doesnt it?.. 

gears of war 3 & Halo reach graphics are piss poor in comparison to Uncharted. dont be so delusinol 

also.. cross game chat is not worth $60 a year.. the 2 services run identically appart from that. 

Because no-one's tried to run those specific games on 360?

It's been stated by several current/former GG employees, KZ2 could work on the 360, because they're really not that different in tech, and as far as I know, KZ3 isn't far more advanced than KZ2, but I wouldn't know about that, didn't buy KZ3 myself, was done with the franchise after 1 & 2.

i dont mean the actual game, but why is there NO graphical equivielents on the 360? 360 games dont look even close to PS3 games.

anyway i was only  correcting that person, im not getting into this because PS fans get banned on here whil M$ fans can get away with anything.

have a nice day :) 

You too amigo. :)

Around the Network

The thing is that during this gen PS3 was so damn expensive because of blu-ray. Not because of powerful HW. HW wise it's only a bit ahead of X360. If these specs are true Sony doesn't even have to go overkill with hardware to have most powerful console so I don't know why people are immediately assuming it would be sold with a big loss like PS3. Really these specs make it sound that MS targets $299 or even lower price point. Sony could target $399 price point and therefore have more powerful console but still make profit.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I already know the hardware will be great. I want to know about the games.

Well rumors say that Rare, Turn 10 and Lionhead are all ready hard at work, so thats 3-4 games within the launch window. I say 4 because Rare could easily make 2 games since I seriously doubt Kinect Sports 1 and 2 took up much of their resources. 

But I suspect you want to know about its games in the same way that I want to know about PS4 games....so you can poke holes in them :P

I have absolutely nothing to worry about with Sony or Nintendo for launch titles. Microsoft wont be able to depend on third parties  like they did when there was no competition so they are the weakest link starting next gen if they have no Halo. They better come prepared. I can count on them for decent hardware, but games are always a worry. I will not be buying a launch console unless they shape up. PS4 isnt even a question and knowing the fact that Sony has party chat in mind for the Vita and the next console seals the deal for me. 

Lol Halo wont be a launch title. If these rumors are true...

Next Xbox launch: Fall 2013

Halo 5: Fall 2015, given a 3 year dev cycle. 

No use wasting your biggest Gun on the launch window. Launch with Rare's core offering(s). 2014 will have Forza 5 and Fable 4. Throw in a exclusive 3rd party game such as Gears of War either in the 2013/2014 year. And then hit em with Halo in 2015. 

All speculation offcourse but it does space out MS's biggest guns. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

KillerMan said:
The thing is that during this gen PS3 was so damn expensive because of blu-ray. Not because of powerful HW. HW wise it's only a bit ahead of X360. If these specs are true Sony doesn't even have to go overkill with hardware to have most powerful console so I don't know why people are immediately assuming it would be sold with a big loss like PS3. Really these specs make it sound that MS targets $299 or even lower price point. Sony could target $399 price point and therefore have more powerful console but still make profit.

Don´t forget the Kinect 2.0 in every box, so that $299 is impossible to happen.

Other then that I agree, this opens the door for Sony to make a box ,clearly more powerful at a reasonable price, but the crucial point is they have to have games that show just how much powerful PS4 can be from day 1.

The problem with the PS3 was not only the fact that it was expensive nor that it came 1year later, the problem was that the consumer did not see any game that was clearly ahead of the competition, so this notion that the PS3 was a better machine was only inside the box, no game translated that potential to reality.

With MS going after the casual they will sell regardless of how powerful the machine is, Sony on the other hand has to convince everyday gamers that PS4 is the machine to have.

PlaystaionGamer said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Wow!!

360 is able to run any PS3 exclusive, serius guys, there is nothing in Uncharted 2 and 3 that is impossible to achieve with 360 hardware. Just give them a plastic engine, time, and MONEY and a good team of developers could make wonderful things.

The problema with PS3 fanboys is that they were iluded by Sony that lauched a hardware 50% more expensive one year later. And now, 6 years later they can only bost a handfull of games that "would be impossible on the 360"...

if the 360 could run Uncharted 2/3, Killzone 2/3 graphics.. then why doesnt it?.. 

gears of war 3 & Halo reach graphics are piss poor in comparison to Uncharted. dont be so delusinol 

also.. cross game chat is not worth $60 a year.. the 2 services run identically appart from that. 

only deluisonal one here is you also crysis 2 best graphics on consoles

Around the Network
PlaystaionGamer said:
Millenium said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Wow!!

It's been stated by several current/former GG employees, KZ2 could work on the 360, because they're really not that different in tech, and as far as I know, KZ3 isn't far more advanced than KZ2, but I wouldn't know about that, didn't buy KZ3 myself, was done with the franchise after 1 & 2.

i dont mean the actual game, but why is there NO graphical equivielents on the 360? 360 games dont look even close to PS3 games.

anyway i was only  correcting that person, im not getting into this because PS fans get banned on here whil M$ fans can get away with anything.

Your opinion aint fact. 

ZaneWane said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Wow!!

only deluisonal one here is you also crysis 2 best graphics on consoles

i feel bad for you...

but then tbh i dont really care, il probs play ucharted 3 later.. by FAR the best looking console game ever

Nsanity said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Millenium said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Wow!!

Your opinion aint fact. 

..but i am god

kowenicki said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
crissindahouse said:
so the only difference between uncharted 3 which runs on a console with more power than xbox 360's and a game like this for xbox 720 will be 1080p and maybe 60fps? this alone would use much more power than uncharted 3 needs so maybe even this would be too much for 720? nooooo!

does sony even need a next gen then? i wonder how much power the 360 would need for uncharted 3's or killzone 3's graphics

i was thinking this.. 

what if Sony didnt bother? 

PS3 is a good piece of kit, still expensive and still pretty large in its current form. what if when the new Xbox comes out they just bundle a Kinect style camera in with the Ps3 at a lover price then both the WiiU & nextbox, i actually would preffer this!

That would a style break for a big hardware company like Sony. Sony has always pushed itself on that area, that's why the PS3 cost that much - because of their company culture. It would be interresting to see if true, but it's highly unlikely.

very true, but sony could re-do the system make it smaller, colours, whatever they like.. new marketing campain with PS-Kinect and at a lot lower price then WiiU and Nextbox.  

they could get the PS3 install up to maybe (being optamistic) 150million, then 2 years before the Wii3 and Xbox4 they could get a massive head start

could work very well for sony 

this is

fanciful,

barmy,

ill conceived,

and wouldnt work.

explain..

Like a lot of people, I'm going to take this with a big grain of salt although there is a good chance that "sources close to the project" may well be right in this instance.

From a business standpoint, sure; it makes a lot more sense to design an all new console that can be produced cheaply and more importantly, sold at a profit from day 1 (Nintendo business 101).

That said, a console based around a HD 6670 GPU would have to be a $299 MSRP console, and by that I don't mean shipped with HDD optional (as in none like the Xbox 360 Arcade/Core). While the card may retail for about $80, the GPU itself is probably a $40 part if that.

And while there's a degree of optimization and modification that could be done with the GPU, make no question; it is an entry level GPU. You're not going to see a 100% or even 50% better performance jump over a retail HD 6670 VGA card.

So, if this early rumor is to believed, then MS' strategy for their next console may well be to focus on Kinect 2.0 (which I'm personally more interested in than the box it will be sold with), and presumably more games for the expanded market under the "gaming for the whole family" approach that worked so well for Nintendo and the Wii. At the same time, it will function as a network media center, focusing on services and streaming media more so than just games themselves.

Those who are already fully invested in XBL as their primary gaming go-to platform will learn to love it even if this approach means fewer platform exclusives in line with Halo and GoW as all major 3rd party developers will still publish their games on the Xbox.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed by the choice in GPU. Okay, I'm a lot disappointed, even if I understand the reasoning behind the decision, assuming the rumor is even true.