By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Ericsson: Qtr4 $266m loss.

VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:

So when Sony start shifting these and potentially make a loss, MS will profit from it! (given they profit on Android right?)

Poor Sony .. MS is making more money on their ventures than they are!

Not really sure , they used to collect patent related fees from 10 Android device manufacturers , but since then Google has bought Motorola just to protect the Android from Microsoft and Apple, Google got ridiculous amount of patents , over 15K if I remember correctly

Found it - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=138891&page=1#11

Oh wow ! , no wonder that Google is pissed

I have to agree with them though , the industry is turning into a lawsuits war rather than a productive competition

Don't know enough about it, but I think in general patents have gotten out of hand.

But back to my original point, if Sony ship 2m phones with Android on in a Q, that's what, $10m for Microsoft?!

Apparently no , that's not the case with Sony in particular :

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Knows+Kung+Fu+Avoids+Microsoft+Apple+Android+Lawsuits/article23214.htm

Your point is still correct for the other manufacturers, Microsoft now covers 70% of the Android market in the US :/

Ah, thanks for the link. Wonder why Google didn't join in getting these patents if they were offered a chance ...

Around the Network
Seece said:
VXIII said:

Apparently no , that's not the case with Sony in particular :

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Knows+Kung+Fu+Avoids+Microsoft+Apple+Android+Lawsuits/article23214.htm

Your point is still correct for the other manufacturers, Microsoft now covers 70% of the Android market in the US :/

Ah, thanks for the link. Wonder why Google didn't join in getting these patents if they were offered a chance ...

Well , found this on wiki :

"The last major asset of Nortel, approximately 6,000 patents and patent applications encompassing technologies such as wireless, wireless 4G, data networking, optical, voice, Internet, and semiconductors, was sold for $4.5 billion to a consortium including Apple, EMC, Ericsson, Microsoft, Research In Motion, and Sony, pending American and Canadian court approval. (Google had placed the initial stalking horse bid of $900 million and later upped the bid to $1,902,160,540, then $2,614,972,128, and eventually $3.14159 billion, which are references to Brun's constant, Meissel–Mertens constant, and pi.) Bankruptcy filings state that Nortel owes former Canadian engineers $285,000 for patent awards that were not paid. "

Poor Sony' if only they made better decisions as far as marketing I have not once seen an ad run for their Xperia play like I have with HTC and other countless phones.

and since their on a t and t its no wonder I cant get one . I hate a t and t .
that simple I do not see a reason id go back to that company they used to be my home phone company well my moms any way . then we changed to bell south our first cell was cingular which is a t and t now so guess sony will have to change things up in a hurry if they want profit again.

HappySqurriel said:
It is kind of odd that a company that made a touchscreen smart phone in the year 2000 (Ericsson R380) isn't a major player in the smart phone market today.

Maybe they should have named their brand after some kind of fruit. seems to have brought sucess for some lol

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

I'm a big Sony fan in terms of Playstation and stuff, and bought a phone recently. Didn't really have a limit on price or whatever, just got what looked best.

Anyway, it took about an hour of goggling to see that Sony's phones just weren't as good as the iPhone or some of the HTC / Samsung range. And in something like the phone market, I'd assume if your product isn't as good, then it's going to get destroyed...

Got Samsung Galaxy S-II for myself in the end.

So er, I'm not surprised Sony are struggling as there's no possible reason to get their phones unless you blindly swear by the brand name.