By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official Anime Discussion Thread

Kamal said:
Blacksaber said:
xKakashi209x said:
Has anyone checked out the new anime Sword Art Online?
I'm liking it a lot so far.

Same, I think I know what going to be this summers best anime.

From the synopsis it looked like it had promise, glad those suspicions were correct :P

I'm totally losing track in what I'm watching, probably update my MAL finally after the first time I've set up my account.

Hey, quite a few people use and update MAL quite frequently. Get back on the train!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Kamal said:
Mr Khan said:
It could be the lack of sleep talking but i'm not thrilled with the new season of Queen's Blade so far. Annelote is a poor substitute for Reina, because she was, i continue to contend, a legitimately interesting protagonist who had a fairly clear struggle, even if the plot of the very first season of Queen's Blade (before the tournament started) was rather loosely defined. It could be because Annelote really seems to have no connection to what's going on

I'll keep watching, but they're gonna have to do something more spectacular than Branwen the Masochist to bring me back on board.

Could be the harsh reality that it isn't any good <3

It's a problem of motive, i think. As i said, Reina's motives were clear, which made her a protagonist that you could easily sympathize with: she wanted to become strong on hero own terms, to escape the gilded cage of nobility and the shadow of her seemingly-more-talented older sisters. She wanted to be strong and be respected, which is easy enough to follow. It's rather well-established that Annelote doesn't know what she wants, which, to be fair, is a legitimate point of internal conflict: she is a gifted warrior who wants to do good, but lacks a cause, however that makes her escapades so far (only seen through ep 5 by now) seem rather dull.

The series does fall short on the fetish front, too. Lilliana is a poor substitute for Melona, Menace, and Airi, and no one who can yet match Cattleya. Lunaluna reminds me of Echidna, which is why i have enjoyed her thus far, and they put too much emphasis on Ymir (a loli) who i didnt care for much at all in the prior season, and decided it was important to give Ymir a damn little sister, as if Ymir wasn't loli enough.

There is potential. Oh yes, there is potential, but it all just seems to be a bunch of hot air so far.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

outlawauron said:
Kamal said:
Blacksaber said:
xKakashi209x said:
Has anyone checked out the new anime Sword Art Online?
I'm liking it a lot so far.

Same, I think I know what going to be this summers best anime.

From the synopsis it looked like it had promise, glad those suspicions were correct :P

I'm totally losing track in what I'm watching, probably update my MAL finally after the first time I've set up my account.

Hey, quite a few people use and update MAL quite frequently. Get back on the train!

If it isn't rightfully named the "Flying Pussyfoot", I ain't jumping on ;P

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Mr Khan said:
Kamal said:
Mr Khan said:
It could be the lack of sleep talking but i'm not thrilled with the new season of Queen's Blade so far. Annelote is a poor substitute for Reina, because she was, i continue to contend, a legitimately interesting protagonist who had a fairly clear struggle, even if the plot of the very first season of Queen's Blade (before the tournament started) was rather loosely defined. It could be because Annelote really seems to have no connection to what's going on

I'll keep watching, but they're gonna have to do something more spectacular than Branwen the Masochist to bring me back on board.

It's a problem of motive, i think. As i said, Reina's motives were clear, which made her a protagonist that you could easily sympathize with: she wanted to become strong on hero own terms, to escape the gilded cage of nobility and the shadow of her seemingly-more-talented older sisters. She wanted to be strong and be respected, which is easy enough to follow. It's rather well-established that Annelote doesn't know what she wants, which, to be fair, is a legitimate point of internal conflict: she is a gifted warrior who wants to do good, but lacks a cause, however that makes her escapades so far (only seen through ep 5 by now) seem rather dull.

The series does fall short on the fetish front, too. Lilliana is a poor substitute for Melona, Menace, and Airi, and no one who can yet match Cattleya. Lunaluna reminds me of Echidna, which is why i have enjoyed her thus far, and they put too much emphasis on Ymir (a loli) who i didnt care for much at all in the prior season, and decided it was important to give Ymir a damn little sister, as if Ymir wasn't loli enough.

There is potential. Oh yes, there is potential, but it all just seems to be a bunch of hot air so far.

You miss that Ymir is an incredibly popular character. Probably the most popular current character based off merchandise, sales, and internet reaction (haven't seen the show, just observing)

outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:
Kamal said:
Mr Khan said:

You miss that Ymir is an incredibly popular character. Probably the most popular current character based off merchandise, sales, and internet reaction (haven't seen the show, just observing)

That would be odd. She seemed to be on even footing as far as merchandise availability went when i was in Japan. Certain characters got badly shortchanged (poor Cattleya), but she was among those who were fairly represented, but not overrepresented. We're not talking about Ikamusume here <_>

Around the Network

I am actually surprised a lot by this season, specially by jinrui wa suitai shimashita (stealth advertising hooray!)

Anyway, I think its the first season I remember where I picked up moar than 5 anime to watch...

Has anyone watched Muv Luv? It's really good.

Finished Carnival Phantasm and working on Sengoku Basara right now.

outlawauron said:
Finished Carnival Phantasm and working on Sengoku Basara right now.

Had to be done...

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Well, Queen's Blade is getting better, at least. Up through episode 9, and things have really picked up, but it feels almost rushed after having to deal with 5 fairly dull episodes at the beginning