By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ron Paul - Wait, what?

Yeah he's amazing. Ever since I got interested in politics a couple years ago (when I turned 18 and could actually vote) I've been a fan of him.

He's the only republican who will actual make serious spending cuts, will end the Fed, will cut/not raise taxes, will legalize marijuana, bring the troops home immediately (I guess they already are headed home, but he's said this while the war was still going strong), stop foreign aid, and so much more.

He is really the only option, 4 more years of Obama will destroy America, he won't cut spending at all and taxes will probably go up even more. And with that inflation will continue to go through the roof and destroy people's savings.

Around the Network

Too bad Ron Paul won't win.

dany612 said:

You never know actually... He's so hysterically popular among younger voters and that popluarity is only increasing. If it continues on this trend and the younger generation actually votes, he may come out to be the underdog and win, you never know.

Vertigo-X said:
Sirstopp said:
If you really pay attention to Ron Paul though, he isn't that great. He's what you would say is a "front page" candidate. One that looks good on the surface, but go deeper into it and it's really ugly and something awful.

For example: http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/29/ron-pauls-world/

Okay, I'm getting a good laugh at your post.

That NY Times BLOG REEKS of bias. I don't even care to read the whole thing because it seems like the blogger was putting his own spin on events... -_-

Are you kidding me? He was against the Civil Rights Act and would have voted against it if he had the chance because he says it "infringes on personal rights". He has actually said this stuff. Does that sound like a candidate that is sane? Ron Paul has shown time and time again that he is insane. He doesn't even believe in separation of Church and State.

Necromunda said:
dany612 said:

You never know actually... He's so hysterically popular among younger voters and that popluarity is only increasing. If it continues on this trend and the younger generation actually votes, he may come out to be the underdog and win, you never know.

younger voters don't vote. The best he can hope for is to be a spoiler 3rd party candidate in the 2012 generals

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Sirstopp said:
Vertigo-X said:
Sirstopp said:
If you really pay attention to Ron Paul though, he isn't that great. He's what you would say is a "front page" candidate. One that looks good on the surface, but go deeper into it and it's really ugly and something awful.

That NY Times BLOG REEKS of bias. I don't even care to read the whole thing because it seems like the blogger was putting his own spin on events... -_-

Are you kidding me? He was against the Civil Rights Act and would have voted against it if he had the chance because he says it "infringes on personal rights". He has actually said this stuff. Does that sound like a candidate that is sane? Ron Paul has shown time and time again that he is insane. He doesn't even believe in separation of Church and State.

He might not believe in Separation of Church and State, but then again he's not pushing for anyone to have to follow any church sanctioned moral codes, and he's definitely not pushing for the US to become a Theocracy like Romney, Santorum, Perry, and more than likely Gingritch.

Necromunda said:
dany612 said:

He's running on the Republican side, the odds are heavily against him. Media dislikes him, even FOX news! 

I like Ron Paul and believe he is (potentially) one of the strongest candidates in decades, but like all Libertarians half his views will be loved by partisans with the other half being seen as too radical ...

Essentially, Ron Paul (and I) would argue that an individual or organization can have freedom with personal responsibility and consequences for their actions or freedom from personal responsibilities and the consequences for their actions but they can not have both at the same time. Meaning (for example) you can have a system with a strong welfare state and strong laws against drugs (and other things) that can lead to people "failing", or you can have a system with no welfare state but freedom to do whatever you want, but a strong welfare state with no drug laws or a weak welfare state with strong drug laws are problematic. Unfortunately, while many conservatives will agree with limiting/reducing the welfare state they would never support weakening the welfare state, and many liberals would agree with limiting/reducing drug laws but would never support weakening the welfare state.

Sirstopp said:
Vertigo-X said:
Sirstopp said:

He's 100% right.   Insane?    I'm against portions of the Civil Rights act (Just as Ron Paul is).  I think racism is prevalent as ever because of what I would call 'forced' differences within society.  That comes in terms of giving minorities benefits that (Whites for example) don't get.  It keeps race specifically showing as an *issue*  or *difference*.  When the reality is, I think most people of my generation don't really consider race an issue.  Yet Obama ran on that platform like he was personally getting hosed down by the police.   It's ludicrous.

It goes against the constitution, it really does.  Why should the government tell you how to operate your business or how much of what race you  need to hire?   Why do colleges allow lesser qualified minorities into college for a cheaper rate than their non minority counter parts?

And where does the government stop once they control how you operate your business?  They don't stop.  They want to keep reaching further.  Look at Rick Santorum, the guy wants to control what everybody does and thinks its the governments OBLIGATION and he came out strongly in Iowa.  Patriot Act,  Internet restriction acts.  It doesn't stop.  It just keeps going.   We have the highest incarceration rate in the world.  Aww shucks, I wonder why?    And we still have more 'CRIME' than a majority of places in the world.

Wake up.

bottom line is we need to crush the current power structure, even though i wouldn't go as far as Ron Paul would, I would much rather go too far in his direction than stay on our current course. At least we could re-institute some programs similar to now later when we get the corruption out of the current government. Ron Paul will reset this government and then from there we can build it back up to a certain extent.

While the goals of some of the federal government programs seem noble, many of them do more harm than good, and further consolidate power into the hands of the few by buying them off. The federal government is so out of control right now i can't understand how you can NOT vote for Ron Paul right now, even if you think he goes too far. You know that voting for Obama or Romney will change NOTHING. The current power structure needs to be destroyed at any cost.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X