By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can the Wii U take back some of the business Nintendo lost from the Mobile giants? Yes it can!

Firstly, I don't think that the tablets and phones are taking territories away from the consoles.

The Wii/PS3/360 generation and the DS/PSP generations are the most successfull generation so far in the industry.

That being said, I don't think the Wii U will hurt tablets because it is totally different. I highly doubt that the Wii U controller has a competent processor built in, so it will be very limited when far off the console.

Around the Network

This sounds completely nuts, therefore it must be true!!

Except the WiiU isn't mobile outside of the house ...

Did you even think this thread through, and why mobiles and mobile gaming is popular?

spurgeonryan said:
Seece said:

Did you even think this thread through, and why mobiles and mobile gaming is popular?

I was basing my thought off the assumption that Nintendo was going to change what they said and make it available outside the home. Especially since it is supposed to be an expensive piece of hardware!

And yes at the time it seemed like they were trying for something like this. Now that I have the experts talk some sense to me, it seems less likely, but still plausible that it is Nintendo's intentions.

Where have Nintendo given the vibe they're going to do that? Who on earth would take one of those controllers out with them ........

I think you were struggling for thread ideas, this is clutching at straws even for you though Spurge.

spurgeonryan said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Firstly, I don't think that the tablets and phones are taking territories away from the consoles.

The Wii/PS3/360 generation and the DS/PSP generations are the most successfull generation so far in the industry.

That being said, I don't think the Wii U will hurt tablets because it is totally different. I highly doubt that the Wii U controller has a competent processor built in, so it will be very limited when far off the console.

I should have talked about the  3DS as well, but oh well.

So you do not think that tablets and phones are having any effect on the consoles or handhelds at all? Even though Twitter, media, news, internet, this site, other gaming sites are saying that it is.

Why do you doubt that it does not  have a competent processor in it? Reggie already said the Wii U will be for people with the means to purchase such a thing. Core Gamers who want high quality. If the system is going to cost 500 or more I would hope the controller would have something in it other than cardboard.

The tablets are a small computer with shit specs (for computers) but still a computer.

If Nintendo was placing CPU and GPU in the Wii U controller at the level of tablets, the whole console would be worth around 700-800$.

Unrealistic.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
spurgeonryan said:
kowenicki said:
In a word....

No.

You say so much with just that one word.

Do you think that this is Nintendo's intention? I know that in the past it has been their intention to have decent online, good 3rd party support, and other things but it never came to fruition.

The phone market may not be hurt much because everyone needs a phone, but what is the point of a tablet? If the Wii U can do what the other e-readers and some tablets can do then why not pick the Wii U's version?

So I can use the wiiU tablet in the bathroom to watch TV or a movie or one of a million digital radio statons?  

Take it on the plane to read a book, then perhaps mess around with my Korg iMS20 app or Reason rebirth drum machine emulator, creating some sounds to export and use in a DAW for a tune I'm working on..

Then when I arrive at my hotel I  can get it out around the pool while I'm away on holiday to browse the internet while listening to music, reverting to reading a book and then playing GTA3 or FIFA 12?

When I get back to my room I can open all my emils and do some work on the report I have sent to proof in pages or numbers then fire it back to the office...

........I only ask as I can do all of that and shit loads more with my iPad2.

You can do it with a laptop , and you can buy a much stronger laptop for much less money that this garbage ipad.

spurgeonryan said:
Seece said:
spurgeonryan said:
Seece said:

I was basing my thought off the assumption that Nintendo was going to change what they said and make it available outside the home. Especially since it is supposed to be an expensive piece of hardware!

And yes at the time it seemed like they were trying for something like this. Now that I have the experts talk some sense to me, it seems less likely, but still plausible that it is Nintendo's intentions.

Where have Nintendo given the vibe they're going to do that? Who on earth would take one of those controllers out with them ........

I think you were struggling for thread ideas, this is clutching at straws even for you though Spurge.

Not at all, I just did not want to do another "Who is the best rocker of all time" thread or post a youtube video, or another twitter news story. I am on a 30 thread per month probation period! I saw some merit, so I made a thread. Nintendo according to the rumors does seem to be trying to do this.

But like I said once you and Kwenicki posted my hopes were indeed curshed.

@Kowenicki

I do not think it will be an alternative. I think that Nintendo is trying to do something like a tablet though. And if they can push out 90-100 million users like the Wii (remember I said that) then it would be pretty popular. My title and statement would have been better if I would have said, "Can the Wii U take back some of its lost business  from the mobile giants."

How about insted of looking for ideas on how to make yet another thread (and clogging up the forums) you only make a thread when the idea (or news) comes to you? There is no need to have to post a certain amount of threads per month ...

Especially when the quality is like this one.

spurgeonryan said:
Seece said:
spurgeonryan said:
Seece said:

Not at all, I just did not want to do another "Who is the best rocker of all time" thread or post a youtube video, or another twitter news story. I am on a 30 thread per month probation period! I saw some merit, so I made a thread. Nintendo according to the rumors does seem to be trying to do this.

But like I said once you and Kwenicki posted my hopes were indeed curshed.

@Kowenicki

I do not think it will be an alternative. I think that Nintendo is trying to do something like a tablet though. And if they can push out 90-100 million users like the Wii (remember I said that) then it would be pretty popular. My title and statement would have been better if I would have said, "Can the Wii U take back some of its lost business  from the mobile giants."

That's just the dumbest thing I've heard on this site lately ....

there is no proof home consoles have even lost out to mobiles, its handhelds that are being affected ... and the WiiU isn't even out yet so how can it take back business it hasn't even got or lost yet ...

dear me ..

There has been research showing that a large portion of tablets rarely leave the house, so this idea isn't quite as meritless as it might sound at first glance.

But even if we accept that most of the tablet's work is done in the home, it's a lot for Nintendo to get right. They're not going to offer a better reading experience than the Fire or a better browsing experience than the iPad, even before accounting for the Wii U's smaller screen.

Nintendo would be better off focusing on their core competency, rather than trying to challenge powerful incumbents on their home turf.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
There has been research showing that a large portion of tablets rarely leave the house, so this idea isn't quite as meritless as it might sound at first glance.

But even if we accept that most of the tablet's work is done in the home, it's a lot for Nintendo to get right. They're not going to offer a better reading experience than the Fire or a better browsing experience than the iPad, even before accounting for the Wii U's smaller screen.

Nintendo would be better off focusing on their core competency, rather than trying to challenge powerful incumbents on their home turf.

I think that Nintendo is trying to appeal to a public by giving their console controller a familiar, recognised and currently popular look.

But that's all. Nintendo is not and will never be a computer company. And that's what is the Ipad, a dumbed down pc with shitty OS.