By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Downloadable HD Movies for PS3?

Sony gave me a free blu ray film

Around the Network

If you want a good comparison of download quality (To see for your self, it varies due to the capabilities of your TV). Download movie trailers in Full HD (1080) or HD(720) and compare the bit rate to that of your free spider man movie. The quality (bit rate) of HD is what you get with the MS download service and most likely the PS3 one in the future. They are all encoded the same just different levels of compression. The downloaded Full HD was about 7.8 MBit ( I am Legend) and the Blu-Ray (Spider Man) 1080p24 was about 16Mbit average.

Microsofts service is rental for movies only, so space for films isn't much of a concern. TV shows are download to own, however.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

@ Highway star: Lucky! what movie did you acquire?

@ Auron: Holy Crap 25 gigs?!?! I'd have to upgrade my hard drive to one of the new 320 gb ones that you can slide in your PS3!