By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour - Wii U To Have Full Featured App Store

Doesn't this site have a dedicated Wii U Thread for Wii U news? Anyway:

Wii U to have full app store

Nintendo's next game console, the Wii U, is months away from launch, but its touchscreen controller is already turning heads - and The Daily has learned that Nintendo plans to implement a full-blown app store for the system.

Nintendo currently maintains repositories that act as "light" app stores: The DSi Shop for its portables, and the Wii Shop for its current console. Most of its apps are games and basic utilities like Mario Calculator. The Wii U's as-yet-unnamed store will go far beyond this, proffering a wider variety of apps, said a person familiar with the matter.

Wii U owners will be able to use apps that operate on the Wii U itself, such as MLB.TV, and others that run independently on the Wii U's controller. Given its tablet-like design and 6.2-inch screen, it's not hard to imagine being able to check email, browse the Web, post to social networks and even get some gaming in.

It's unknown whether Nintendo plans to monetize its app store with a points system, which it currently uses for WiiWare and DSiWare, or with a more Apple-like pay-to-play system.

Link 1

Link 2

Example:

An app that lets you watch sports while someone uses the TV etc...

Around the Network

I`m crossing my fingers for this to be real! Of all these rumors, this one is the most important one, in my opinion, of course!

The 3DS has already most of these features. Nintendo has really put a big effort to develop its own virtual plateform. It is not a surprise that the Wii U is following that step.

The ability to use apps on your TV screen with ease could be a huge selling point for Nintendo, providing they can get some good content on there. They've already embarked down this path with the 3DS so it would be surprising if the Wii U didn't follow suit. If implemented correctly from the start, it has the potential to be huge and could really allow them to move in on the casual gaming market.

Hey consumers, you know all those apps you seem to enjoy so much? Well now you can use them on your TV, as well as on a tablet. Oh, and one small thing, it's cheaper than an iPad.

While I'd love something like this, but I'm not sure who would develop the apps for it.

In my opinion, the easiest and most effective way to do it would be to use Android. The benefits would be hundreds of apps already done and compete in the tablets/smartphone games market (something that would please their investors). The downside is that WiiU's controller should come with a, more expensive, multi touch screen (to be able to use the same apps).

Oh, and since Wii already has a web browser, it's easy to assume that WiiU will also have one, and will use the screen to take advantage of it, such as displaying a keyboard.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

that plan was exactly what nintendo said it wanted to improve the online starting w 3ds so i wouldnt be suprised

JEMC said:
While I'd love something like this, but I'm not sure who would develop the apps for it.

In my opinion, the easiest and most effective way to do it would be to use Android. The benefits would be hundreds of apps already done and compete in the tablets/smartphone games market (something that would please their investors). The downside is that WiiU's controller should come with a, more expensive, multi touch screen (to be able to use the same apps).

Oh, and since Wii already has a web browser, it's easy to assume that WiiU will also have one, and will use the screen to take advantage of it, such as displaying a keyboard.

I don't see Nintendo using a third party OS

this could be true hopefully so.

Somehow doubt it. Nintendo just doesn't work as a non-gaming content provider, and they really shouldn't

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Somehow doubt it. Nintendo just doesn't work as a non-gaming content provider, and they really shouldn't

With the Success of Netflix, I really thinks its possible.