By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Editorial: Sony's Biggest Mistake Of 2011

Tagged games:

and i must say the us launch line up dont impress me at all! its the same japan got why didnt sony ship vita worldwide lol i expected more games but we got 7 less so whats the wait for !

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
What a terrible editorial. It's based on the assumption that gamers actually want usergenerated content, but in reality it is and will be nothing more than a niche market. It would be a mistake to keep throwing money at it in hopes that it someday takes off.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something that is rather similar to what's available on the Xbox 360 (i.e. Uncharted, Killzone) is a better option to invest in for Sony than games that are built on the premise of usergenerated content. The vast majority of gamers doesn't want to play amateur content.

While i think that user generated content (UGC) on consoles at this point in time is a mistake and not what the masses on consoles want, calling UGC in general a niche market is a bit narrow minded. Look to PC gaming where user content has evolved into entire genres and is played by millons every day. Dota (and to an extent League of Legends which is based upon it), Counter Strike, Team Fortress, and many more are massively popular games in the PC space, and they all started with some guys screwing around with a map editor