By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Some PSVita sale report

Destructoid

While we are still waiting on official numbers, it sounds like the PlayStation Vita has not sold through all of the estimated initial shipment of 700,000 units. The superhuge retailers in Japan, like Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera, have said that you could pick up a Vita on launch day without pre-order, says Andriasang. NeoGAF found that some Japanese sites were reporting estimated sell-throughs at 85 percent for the WiFi model and 56 percent for the 3G model.

Mainichi Digital says that Sony was able to pump 200,000 more Vita units to retail for launch as a response to pre-order demand, so I wouldn't exactly call the initial sales numbers a failure.

One thing that did sell out was Vita memory cards. The bigger ones, the 16 and 32GB cards, are completely sold out, according to reports. Despite the high pricing, 90 percent of Vita purchasers also bought a memory card. 

The header image comes from Famitsu.com's Vita launch coverage. Here you see more than 100 people waiting in line at the Yurakucho location of Bic Camera.

http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-did-not-sell-out-in-japan-but-memory-cards-did-218167.phtml

Around the Network

I guess the WiFi model can have a 100% sellthrough... the 3G one not.

Good to see that the handheld is looking to have a great launch in Japan! I know I cant wait to get mine in Feb! Launch day for me and having Uncharted as a launch title is just an excellent idea! Well played Sony