By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Study finds bankers are a net economic drain, while hospital cleaners add positive value.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/12/11/bankers-cost-each-one-of-us-8-40-for-every-1-they-produce-study-shows-115875-23626708/

Rich bankers can today be exposed as a ­huge drain on society... ­costing the rest of us £8.40 for every £1 they produce.

A study by think-tank the New Economics Foundation found the average banker destroys ­£42million a year in value while creating just £5million.

Meanwhile hospital cleaners on £6.26 an hour are worth £10 for every £1 they cost because they prevent superbugs, saving the economy a fortune.

Around the Network

It was looking at the position of banker, not rich in general, and the impact of what they do has on the economy, factoring in economic damage they do by leveraging on losing bets and other things.

Surprise surprise

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

...Cleaners provide a lot of value because they prevent theoretical plagues? Really?

Sorry, I can't trust a think tank that also champions a 21 hour work week, has a "Happy Planet Index" which states Cuba is the 6th happiest place in the world (no developed western nation is in the top-20, with countries like Vietnam, the PRC and the United States ranking just above Rwanda), and so on.

They may be the dumbest think tank in the world. You should really look into all the other agendas they are pushing.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

these indicators are so useless...its only in the news merely because they are interesting reads.

Around the Network

I'd consider the results a bit dubius.

Considering that banking is 1/10th England's economy.

Lets due some due diligence and look up the New Economics Forum...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Economics_Foundation

Well... I think that pretty much sums it up pretty well.

You should really due some research before you post some of this stuff rather then just blindly beleiving it.

Economics, and the growth it studies, are myths.

It's like watching the tide.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Kasz216 said:

You should really due some research before you post some of this stuff rather then just blindly beleiving it.

Do you believe an economy is healthy if 10% of it is based on banking?  If an economy were 50% banking, would that be healthy?

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

Do you believe an economy is healthy if 10% of it is based on banking?  If an economy were 50% banking, would that be healthy?

10% sure why not?

50%, No, i certaintly wouldn't shoot my economy in the head though and greatly ruin the lives of everyday people.  I'd diversify my economy first.

Yeah okay sure, what a pathetic study. Did they take into account social assistance? A janitor is more likely going to need welfare/unemployment if he gets fired, laid off or injured on the job, plus they pay very low taxes since they are in a low tax bracket.

I guess the study didn't take into account how much tax the bankers pay and how little social assistance they are eligible for. Also since they make more money they spend more, thus they are helping other businesses, and paying sales taxes on their purchases. Plus they are more likely to buy new products since they are upper class where as a janitor with a lower income would be more inclined to buy used/secondhand goods to save money, which he wouldn't pay taxes on. 

Geez this study is just such a joke, I honestly hate left wing bullshit like this. Bankers provide a service just like everyone else, nobody forces you to take loans or make investments but the option is there and bankers are there to help.