By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama's America, getting better or worse? He promised change - now we are getting it.

I find it odd why you need a super majority to pass certain things.

That is never the case in a Parliamentary system.

Around the Network
Bong Lover said:
Kasz216 said:
Bong Lover said:
Kasz216 said:

I'd buy that arguement if it wasn't for the fact that Obama had 2 years of super majority, anything democrats agree on passes.

Aside from which, the behind the scenes talk suggests that it was actually the democrats unwilling to compromise on the deficit deal.

Here's another example of how the political debate is getting framed. How many times have you heard that the Democrats had 2 years of super majority? It's now an established 'fact' to deflect critisism against Republican obstructionism, but is it true? No, it is not. The Democrats had the majority of the house and the Senate, but never had a supermajority in both. They came very close, but have throughout the 110th - 112th congresses never been closer than 1 vote away from a supermajority in both chambers. Yet, the simple adjustment from 'majority' to 'supermajority' lets Republican apologists disregard facts and present an alternate view of reality that is completely fabricated.

To start with, I'm not a republican.

Aside from which they had 60 members in the democratic caucus in the senate in 2009.  They just couldn't even get IT to agree on just about anything Obama wanted done.

They had on their side, 58 democrats, but one guy who is an out and out socalist (IE more left then the democrats,.) and the other would of still been a registered democrat had it not been for the fact that the democrats activly kicked him out of the party but he still won back his seat and caucused with them.

As for the house.  Super Majority isn't really a term talked about in the House of Represenatives as far as I know.  There are no filibusters there.

So in 2009, they had a supermajority and could get a vote on anything they wanted.  They spend basically all their time on that Healthcare bill to get a 60-39 vote... because it took FOREVER to reign in more fiscally conservative demcorats.

A bill so popular that in 2010 house of representative members were running ads about how they DIDN'T vote for it.

In fact, no republican voted for it.  So to say the Democrats couldn't pass anything without republican support kinda rings false.  When you consider... they did... and not just any bill either, but a bill that is FAR less palatable then anything the democrats have offered lately.

First, I never called you a republican, but implied that you're a Republican apologist. I am sure even your libertarian leaning (?) self will see that is the role you are playing in this discussion.

As for supermajority during the 111th Congress, check it again. The Democrats did not have a super majority in the senate in 2009, with the exception of during the summer break when the chamber was not in session and at the very end of the year, when indeed they pushed hard to be able to get through a health care bill. Which they did. The work done was not to secure the 60 votes in the senate by the way, it was to secure enough votes in the House.

Also, a super majority is most certainly relevant to the House of Representatives, there are several votes that requires a super majority in the House, most relevant to this line of the discussion is that a supermajority is needed in both houses to override a presidential veto for example.

In otherwords... you were wrong.  They HAD a super majority.

Aside from which yes, you need a supermajority to override a preisdential veto.

How being able to override a presidential veto helps you pass a Presidents agenda though I can't really see.  Which you know... was the whole point of this discussion.

The Democrats could of passed anything... and what they did pass was an unhelpful unpopular bill that lost them their supermajority.

Your essentially bashing republicans for not getting behind things not even all Democrats are behind.

Kasz216 said:

I'd buy that arguement if it wasn't for the fact that Obama had 2 years of super majority, anything democrats agree on passes.

Aside from which, the behind the scenes talk suggests that it was actually the democrats unwilling to compromise on the deficit deal.

A.  It shouldn't take a super-majority to get things passed.  This has never consistently been the case until January 2009 and was not the intention of the Constitution.

B.  I actually take it as a postive that the Democratic party as a whole didn't just turn into a rubber stamp for the president and/or Pelosi and Reid.  A few hundred Congresspeople and Senators in one party should NOT be lockstep on every idea/policy/bill.  That's quite dangerous.  There are too many votes along party lines now, and though I disagreed with some of the no votes - and some of the yes votes - I respected that some people are willing to break form the party and cast their own votes.  That's their job.  (Now, the REASON for doing it at times was bad.  TO protect their jobs versus what they thought was right, but that's another discussion.)

C.  As for "compromise"  - - the GOP says we want $50.  The Dems say you can have $30.  Gop says "No. $50."  Dems say "$40".  GOP says " Still want $50."  Obama says, "Fine.  Give them $50 in exchange for a minor progressive policy point."  GOP says "Now it's $1000."    And then the GOP, especially Boehner and McConnell, says the Dems don't want to compromise.  We've seen this a hundred times during this administration.  It's completely disingenuous.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

lordmandeep said:
Obama would have done Tarp anyways.

That is a nonsensical point.

People do not blame any one person but politicians overall for that move.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20013452-503544.html

It does matter.  People hated it.  And they place the blame at his feet.  I offer my parents as proof.

I don't disagree that it would've been done anyway in some form, for the same reason that the stimulus was also necessary.  But the American public largely doesn't understand either maneuver, or the auto companies, for that matter.  

fastyxx said:
Kasz216 said:

A.  It shouldn't take a super-majority to get things passed.  This has never consistently been the case until January 2009 and was not the intention of the Constitution.

B.  I actually take it as a postive that the Democratic party as a whole didn't just turn into a rubber stamp for the president and/or Pelosi and Reid.  A few hundred Congresspeople and Senators in one party should NOT be lockstep on every idea/policy/bill.  That's quite dangerous.  There are too many votes along party lines now, and though I disagreed with some of the no votes - and some of the yes votes - I respected that some people are willing to break form the party and cast their own votes.  That's their job.  (Now, the REASON for doing it at times was bad.  TO protect their jobs versus what they thought was right, but that's another discussion.)

C.  As for "compromise"  - - the GOP says we want $50.  The Dems say you can have $30.  Gop says "No. $50."  Dems say "$40".  GOP says " Still want $50."  Obama says, "Fine.  Give them $50 in exchange for a minor progressive policy point."  GOP says "Now it's $1000."    And then the GOP, especially Boehner and McConnell, says the Dems don't want to compromise.  We've seen this a hundred times during this administration.  It's completely disingenuous.  

A) I agree.  Which is why more reasonable bills should be proposed.

B) No arguements here again.

C) That's only true if you listen to purely democrat sources.  For example in the "Grand Bargain" if you listen to the Republican side, they say that after they had a deal, Obama insisted they double the amount of tax increases with zero increase in cuts.

As for the Supercomitee.  All i've heard about that is the Democrats were refusing to adress the structural problems of medicaid and medicare... and the republicans were unwilling to accept tax increases unless the democrats did do this.

Somewhere after the whole "Party of No" thing started, the democrats started intentionally obstructing things themselves for political reasons.

I mean, the republicans get blamed for Killing Obama's job bill... when Obama's job bill wasn't even popular with demcrats.  It had one sponsor, and that sponsor sponsored it on behalf of the president.

No one wanted to attach their name to it and a lot only voted for it, because they new the republicans were going to vote against it.

Consider this

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/05/obama-s-jobs-bill-vote-blocked-by-reid-over-lack-of-democratic-support.html

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

No one wanted to attach their name to it and a lot only voted for it, because they new the republicans were going to vote against it.

Consider this

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/05/obama-s-jobs-bill-vote-blocked-by-reid-over-lack-of-democratic-support.html

But again - as the article suggests, mostly the Dems weren't voting for it NOT because they thought it was bad policy, but for the fact that the GOP has convinced their constituents that government spending/stimulus/all spending is bad and those in swing districts are more concerned about their jobs than the country.  

I don't buy your argument on the compromise bit.  When you're quoting Karl Rove's take on the events (and you are), I'm always skeptical.  

fastyxx said:
Kasz216 said:

The fairest thing would be to edit filibuster rules such that you actually have to fucking filibuster, and not just scuttle votes with the mere threat of it

Granted, i'd also force congress to be in session every day out of the year except major holidays with each congressman getting 2 weeks of vacation days. All of these "airplane commuters" have to relearn connection to one another rather than endless pandering to their bases

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Stimulus was a failure overall, as the whole point of stimulus is not too simply save jobs. Thats the least it is suppose to do.

Maybe it needed to be bigger...

Nevertheless, everyone forgets that Keynesian theory assumes that when a govt engages in stimulus spending it can easily afford it. This is due to the fact, that govts ran balanced or perhaps surplus budgets in economic expansionary times.

Very few countries did, nonetheless we all engaged in the stimulus spending but we just made our debt situation worse and are now falling into a debt trap.

Meaning we stimulate and then get into a massive debt problem then end up with massive cuts that in the end erode all the benefits of the stimulus.

It just makes me go ??????????????????????????????????????

Imo the past is the past, the debt problem needs to be dealt with or we will just suffer in the future. No more stimlus is needed as it will not have an effect and is something we can no longer afford.

fastyxx said:
Kasz216 said:

Consider this

But again - as the article suggests, mostly the Dems weren't voting for it NOT because they thought it was bad policy, but for the fact that the GOP has convinced their constituents that government spending/stimulus/all spending is bad and those in swing districts are more concerned about their jobs than the country.  

I don't buy your argument on the compromise bit.  When you're quoting Karl Rove's take on the events (and you are), I'm always skeptical.  

A) No, I actually wasn't quoting Karl Rove.

I was quoting John Boehner's take on the events, which, I don't see why that should be taken with the same level of scruitny as "White house sources" which are the equivlent of the Democratic Karl Rove.  (White house sources were controlled by Rove during bush, and by democratic campaign guys now.)

B) The article suggests nothing of the sort.  Your just viewing it that way through your bias.  They quote democrats worried about elections but in no way talk about the GOP convincing their constiutints that all government spending/stimulus is bad.  They are saying a number of thier constiutients think that way though because... that's basically how independents have always thought.

I mean your arguement seems to be that we should be passing unpopular laws of dubious value most americans don't want just because the president wants it done?

C) Even if the republicans DID convince voters that, republicans are at fault for argueing their points too effectivly?

D) Your post ignores the very real fact that it's not the republicans holding back this stuff.  It's just perceived that way.

I'd note after this,  Reid wasted time reintorducing the bill even AFTER he was sure he didn't have enough votes.

Kasz216 said:
Bong Lover said:
Kasz216 said:
Bong Lover said:
Kasz216 said:

Here's another example of how the political debate is getting framed. How many times have you heard that the Democrats had 2 years of super majority? It's now an established 'fact' to deflect critisism against Republican obstructionism, but is it true? No, it is not. The Democrats had the majority of the house and the Senate, but never had a supermajority in both. They came very close, but have throughout the 110th - 112th congresses never been closer than 1 vote away from a supermajority in both chambers. Yet, the simple adjustment from 'majority' to 'supermajority' lets Republican apologists disregard facts and present an alternate view of reality that is completely fabricated.

To start with, I'm not a republican.

Aside from which they had 60 members in the democratic caucus in the senate in 2009.  They just couldn't even get IT to agree on just about anything Obama wanted done.

They had on their side, 58 democrats, but one guy who is an out and out socalist (IE more left then the democrats,.) and the other would of still been a registered democrat had it not been for the fact that the democrats activly kicked him out of the party but he still won back his seat and caucused with them.

As for the house.  Super Majority isn't really a term talked about in the House of Represenatives as far as I know.  There are no filibusters there.

So in 2009, they had a supermajority and could get a vote on anything they wanted.  They spend basically all their time on that Healthcare bill to get a 60-39 vote... because it took FOREVER to reign in more fiscally conservative demcorats.

A bill so popular that in 2010 house of representative members were running ads about how they DIDN'T vote for it.

In fact, no republican voted for it.  So to say the Democrats couldn't pass anything without republican support kinda rings false.  When you consider... they did... and not just any bill either, but a bill that is FAR less palatable then anything the democrats have offered lately.

First, I never called you a republican, but implied that you're a Republican apologist. I am sure even your libertarian leaning (?) self will see that is the role you are playing in this discussion.

As for supermajority during the 111th Congress, check it again. The Democrats did not have a super majority in the senate in 2009, with the exception of during the summer break when the chamber was not in session and at the very end of the year, when indeed they pushed hard to be able to get through a health care bill. Which they did. The work done was not to secure the 60 votes in the senate by the way, it was to secure enough votes in the House.

Also, a super majority is most certainly relevant to the House of Representatives, there are several votes that requires a super majority in the House, most relevant to this line of the discussion is that a supermajority is needed in both houses to override a presidential veto for example.

In otherwords... you were wrong.  They HAD a super majority.

Aside from which yes, you need a supermajority to override a preisdential veto.

How being able to override a presidential veto helps you pass a Presidents agenda though I can't really see.  Which you know... was the whole point of this discussion.

The Democrats could of passed anything... and what they did pass was an unhelpful unpopular bill that lost them their supermajority.

Your essentially bashing republicans for not getting behind things not even all Democrats are behind.

So, your claim that the Democrats had a supermajority for two years and could have done anything still stands? The democrats had a very brief supermajority in the Senate at the end of 2009 for a couple of months. That is the window when they passed the signature legisation of the 111th congress. That you think that these couple of months means that "the Democrats could of passed anything they" speaks volumes.

My point is that the idea that the democrats have had extended control of the entire governement is completely false and a misrepresentation, which is pretty much the argument I made at the beginning of my involvement here: The political debate is frequently being hijaked by inaccurate talking points and outright false information.

And one final point, and I hate doing this especially since you are getting targeted for the sins of many, but please don't type 'could of'. Pretty please? I normally hate grammar policing but this growing cancer on the English language really burns my eyes. Feel free to use either 'could've' or 'could have', but 'could of' needs to be gone.