By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Introduces Free Airport Hotspots For 3DS Users

Tagged games:

Is This A Great Idea By Nintendo ??

Yes 12 100.00%

No 0 0%

Total:12

Nintendo announced a new partnership with wi-fi service provider Boingo, which will provide free Wi-Fi hotspots for 3DS users across 42 North American airports.

In addition, the Boingo hotspots will grant access the Nintendo Zone, a virtual service on 3DS that provides promotional offers, coupons, and more. With the holiday season approaching, more leisure travelers and families with children will fill our airports and have access to our hotspots," Colby Goff, senior vice president of strategy and business development for Boingo Wireless. "Our state-of-the-art networks will provide Nintendo 3DS users with seamless connectivity and fast, reliable service to help them make the most of their travel downtime."

"Nintendo 3DS is our most connected device ever, and this agreement will allow people to stay entertained while they’re on the go," added Zach Fountain, Nintendo of America’s director of strategic partnerships.

Currently, Nintendo offers more 29,000 free wi-fi hotspots to 3DS players across the United States.
source: http://lifeforgaming.blogspot.com/

Around the Network

I think this is a good move. Usually, nowadays I only bust out my DS when I'm traveling so this makes me want to buy a 3DS before I go on my next trip.

What might be nice is if Nintendo advertises this around the Airport, or they put a sticker on the Wifi sign in the airport saying you can use the Wifi for free with 3DS. Then have some 3DS's on sale at some stores in the airport.

Personally I've been known to waste money when I'm bored and waiting when traveling, so if I didn't have a 3DS and saw the sign or sticker I might actually pick one up. This is coming from a person that 99% of the time is wise with my money.

This won't boost sales by that much, but drop by drop fills the ocean. That one person you get through this deal might get you two people, and those to people might get you 2 more and ya... I should stop now.

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

I'm surprised no one else has posted in this thread yet....

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

I'll post but not sure what to contribute. It isn't like a huge announcement but it is a nice offering for 3DS users to be able to connect free WiFi at most major airports in the USA. This will probably encourage more people to bring their 3DS to airports while flying. That way more streetpass data for games can be exchanged. I am almost tempted to bring my 3DS somewhere in public because I have yet to get even 1 streetpass notification. Apparently, not that many people own a 3DS in the apartments / surrounding area where I live since I put my 3DS in sleep mode and walk around (and have yet to even meet another person that has streetpass activated).

i think this is a great move! anything free is good new and if i ever go to the US i can use my 3DS for free instead of my laptop.

but they should make people aware of this otherwise if they don't know its there and for free there is no point in it :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
Roma said:
i think this is a great move! anything free is good new and if i ever go to the US i can use my 3DS for free instead of my laptop.

but they should make people aware of this otherwise if they don't know its there and for free there is no point in it :P

I agree, sometimes you have access to something great and free, but you may not know because of lack of advertisement.They should put signs up in the airport to make people aware of this great perk.