By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Is FLOP written all over anything Suda 51 makes?

Just about anything Suda makes is a critical masterpiece, but a commercial failure. I've decided to list the sales of all of Suda's games as they are from VG CHARTZ. Are they flops or failures?

TitlePlatformRelease statusSales
Super Fire Pro Wrestling 3 Final BoutSuper FamicomReleased in Japan (1993)Unknown
Super Fire Pro Wrestling SpecialSuper FamicomReleased in Japan (1994)Unknown
Twilight Syndrome: SearchPlayStationReleased in Japan (1996)Unknown
Twilight Syndrome: InvestigationPlayStationReleased in Japan (1996)Unknown
Moonlight SyndromePlayStationReleased in Japan (1997)Unknown
The Silver CasePlayStationReleased in Japan (1999)Unknown
Flower, Sun, and RainPlayStation 2Released in Japan (2001)Unknown
Michigan: Report from HellPlayStation 2Released in Japan (2004) and EuropeUnknown
Killer7GameCube and PlayStation 2Released in Japan (2005), North America, and EuropeUnknown
Samurai Champloo: SidetrackedPlayStation 2Released in Japan (2006) and North AmericaUnknown
ContactNintendo DSReleased in Japan (2006), North America and EuropeRoughly 70K
BLOOD+ One Night KissPlayStation 2Released in Japan (2006)Unknown
No More HeroesWiiReleased in Japan December (2007), North America and Europe (2008)Currently about 23-24K (Not final)
KurayamiPlayStation 3proposed<
Fatal Frame IVWiiIn production<
The Silver CaseNintendo DSIn production<
The Silver Case Ward 25Nintendo DSIn production<
Untitled Xbox 360 gameXbox 360proposed<
With Flower, Sun and RainNintendo DSIn production

Result? Since the sales data for most of these games wasn't available, You decide. 

[Insert signiture here]

Around the Network

It's a damn shame--he seems to be a very talented developer.

All I see is a bunch of games with no stats and a predictable launch in Japan for No More Heroes.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

i dont know how about some of the ps2 games hes made besides killer 7(if hes made any that is)they might be a success

If everything he made was a 'flop' he wouldn't be making games and we wouldn't know who he is ... He produces what could best be described as cult games; they sell well enough to turn enough of a profit to justify their development but are not amazingly successful.

Around the Network

for it to be a flop doesn't it have to not meet expectations. Considering we know Suda 51 games don't sell well, doesn't that make them not flops by definition?

If no more heroes doesn't sell well it's not a flop, it's expected.

If the game sells close to a half a million world wide i'd be amazed.  I still think the game will rule though.

Flop is such a negative word. Underappreciated cult classic is much nicer. =P

Think of him as the video-game version of a pre-Spiderman Sam Raimi. He has his set of dedicated fans and his games, while never blockbuster level successes, tend to do well enough.

Fire Pro Wrestling games rule by the way. Japan seems to have a number of games that ave focused on gameplay over graphics that the US lacks like that. Luckily they've been getting ported over lately.

I'll take Fire Pro Wrestling and Power Pros baseball over SVR 2008 and MLB 2008 any day of the week.

what HappySquirrel said 

and btw, I think Contact is a very underrated game (as many DS games are)

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!