By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Some UK banks are charging up to 800000% on overdrafts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16002022

Some High Street banks are charging "eye-watering" rates of interest when their customers go over their overdraft limit, research by Radio 4's Money Box programme has revealed.

A customer borrowing £100 for 28 days without the consent of Santander would repay £200, for example.

That is the equivalent annualised percentage rate, or APR, of 819,100%.

Around the Network

Why do you not simply get overdraft protection.

Means you can go into overdraft and pay some interest.

lordmandeep said:
Why do you not simply get overdraft protection.

Means you can go into overdraft and pay some interest.

Hey. We can nickle-and-diming them by splitting services up.

It's actually worse if you overdraft with TCF Bank. Their new policy is if you overdraft over $5 they will charge you either $28 or $35 a day (can't remember which amount it was)

Don't go overdraft, pretty simple, watch finances carefully. Although my bank - Lloyds allow you to skive your fees if you clear the overdraft the same day.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Customers who overdraw without consent of their bank are essentially stealing anyway, so who cares!? One criminal act deserves another. :) I reckon they should also have their legs broken. That'd teach 'em.

As I said, do not banks offer overdraft protection?

Yeah, I bought a packet of crisps and went into my overdraft yonks ago (I was broke as fuck) and they kept piling on the debts until it got to £460 or something, fuck if I'm paying that for a packet of crisps.

I have a special student account at my bank that comes with overdraft protection. Thank God because I'm broke as hell. Its not my fault, my job pays me very irregularly and I have a number of bill that take straight from my account. If I ever go into overdraft, I immediately get a text and can transfer some of my funds at no harsh penalty. I don't think I earn interest though =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Weird. In the US it's a one time charge.

This seems to be about going over an "overdraft limit".

Which, I think it'd be important before judging what exactly the overdraft limits are.