By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS Rant #2 - Button layout

Tagged games:

So I've ony found this out recently thanks to the fast pace of Mario Kart 7...

Let me say to begin with, I have some pretty big hands, big to the point where most controllers feel a little awkward to use sometimes but not big enough so that the original Xbox controller suits me (whose did?).

After playing Mario Kart 7, which I think is probably the best Mario Kart I've played, I'm disappointed that it's let down only by the 3DS itself. Why? Because the control setup has me virtually struggling to keep a decent grip on the 3DS itself.

Due to the situation of the ABXY buttons being so close to the top, I can't merely rest my index finger along the R button (needed for power slides) while still comfortably accessing the A and X buttons. I need to make this weird claw gesture with thumb and forefinger, and it's really starting to give me a case of RSI.

Secondly, the slide pad is okay, but when hands get clammy, it's really easy for it to turn into a slippery, uncontrollable piece of plastic. Nintendo, would a few friction grooves like on the N64 and gamecube controllers have hurt, or maybe even something with a bit more friction under a little moisture? A rubber like compound like the one on the Gamecube C stick would have been ideal!

Third, I love the 3DSes glossy finish, but with the combined two issues mentioned the system gets incredibly easy to lose grip of, especially in a tight race. Now I know people will bring up the fact that the buttons on the DS Lite and the glossy outside are the same as the 3DS. however, the DS has a bigger R button that was flush, and I never had the issues with pressing it like I do with the 3DS. Also, the outside of the DS is glossy, but the inside is a matte texture, and that provided enough testure on the base of my thumbs.

Is anyone else having similar issues? I love Mario Kart 7 to bits, but it's getting increasingly frustrating to not be able to hold on to the system comfortably while racing, and also walking away with cracking fingerbones.

Around the Network

What was 3DS Rant #1?

OT: It might not mean much now, but the 3DS slider pad should be coming it in a few months, so ...yeah

miz1q2w3e said:

What was 3DS Rant #1?

OT: It might not mean much now, but the 3DS slider pad should be coming it in a few months, so ...yeah

I made a rant around Ocarina of Time because of the placement of the power button to where the start button used to be, and accidentally pressing it would reset the game without any kind of prompt.

Really? I never heard of this. Do you mean the Capcom slider pad addition, or something else?

fordy said:
miz1q2w3e said:

What was 3DS Rant #1?

I made a rant around Ocarina of Time because of the placement of the power button to where the start button used to be, and accidentally pressing it would reset the game without any kind of prompt.

Really? I never heard of this. Do you mean the Capcom slider pad addition, or something else?

Yeah, I'm refering to the slider pad that comes bundled with MH3G, it's also compatible with other games but more importantly, it makes for a better bigger and grip on the handheld if you wanted

Also, this, this, and this give you more grip AND longer battery life, might even get me one of those is no newer 3DS model with better battery  comes out next year

miz1q2w3e said:
fordy said:
miz1q2w3e said:

What was 3DS Rant #1?

Yeah, I'm refering to the slider pad that comes bundled with MH3G, it's also compatible with other games but more importantly, it makes for a better bigger and grip on the handheld if you wanted

Also, this, this, and this give you more grip AND longer battery life, might even get me one of those is no newer 3DS model with better battery  comes out next year

that one from Nyko looks incredibly tempting. I'm just worried about whether it will still fit on the cradle bay. Then again, with that much extra battery it shouldn't matter as much. Thanks for your suggeton. Definitely something I'll be looking at!

Around the Network

moar: http://nintendoeverything.com/78911/mario-kart-7-unboxing-photos-including-a-look-at-the-wheel-accessory/
(Official Nintendo MK wheel)

miz1q2w3e said:

Does that really fit here? I mean that lion just banged the lioness and she is rolling around….

or maybe i'm just being noughty now

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

^^I dunno. I just like the pic and I smile every time I see it :p

I like guys with BIG HANDS!!!

Switch!!!