By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony refutes price cut rumors

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26650/Sony-refutes-price-cut-rumours

14:00, Apr 19th 2007 by Ben Furfie
Platform holder rebukes suggestions that it will cut price despite discounting by retailers.
Although a number of retailers have run price promotions on the PS3, Sony has come out and denied there are any plans to officially cut the price of the hardware. The Japanese manufacturer has been facing increasing calls to cut the price of its console to below £400.

“[Sony] currently doesn’t have any specific plans to cut the Playstation 3’s price,” a spokesperson told CVG this morning. “PS3 price and shipment plans for the future should be determined by market trends and competition.”

The statement follows comments made in yesterday’s Financial Times, in which Sony President Ryoji Chubachi said: “We are re-examining our PS3 budgeting process in terms of pricing and volume. Sales assumptions change and the market is competitive. We are in the midst of revisiting our strategy for the PS3.”

Around the Network

Owned.

It's going to suck for Sony when they have to lower the price of a machine that they're already taking a $200 loss on.  Even if they optimize the hardware somehow and cut the price, I bet their loss will still be the same, if not more after a price cut.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

FishyJoe said:

“[Sony] currently doesn’t have any specific plans to cut the Playstation 3’s price,” a spokesperson told CVG this morning. “PS3 price and shipment plans for the future should be determined by market trends and competition.”

The statement follows comments made in yesterday’s Financial Times, in which Sony President Ryoji Chubachi said: “We are re-examining our PS3 budgeting process in terms of pricing and volume. Sales assumptions change and the market is competitive. We are in the midst of revisiting our strategy for the PS3.”

So in other words, a price cut IS coming soon - probably within the next 2 months. Going to follow the lead of the Xbox1 when it launched.

In fact, I think you'll see something like this:

- Sony slash $100US off the price of the PS3
 - MS follow (immediately) by slashing  $100 off the price of the 360
 - Nintendo staying at the same price

...and then, we may FINALLY have "game on" :) 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

BenKenobi88 said:
Owned.

It's going to suck for Sony when they have to lower the price of a machine that they're already taking a $200 loss on. Even if they optimize the hardware somehow and cut the price, I bet their loss will still be the same, if not more after a price cut.
Where are people getting those numbers from. Most times I hear it is 200-300$ have Sony said that? The problem is that I heard those numbers before the PS3 were released. I heard that Europe PS3 have 65nm processor and the emulatorchip taking away that must have reduced the price and other things. Sony cant still be losing that much. If Sony is still losing 200$ its not worth to cut the price if its around 100$ they should.