By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo opt to lose money initially on the Wii U? Reggie says "NO" Update

edit holy crap that article scared me lol, Im glad he is talking about the current wii and not the launch. And yeah, no s*** its going to be more expensive, its a 100 bucks right now at a lot of retailers. Id expect it to be much more expensive.

Around the Network

The main reason why the Wii succeeded was its targeting of the casual audience + being the cheapest option available, so if Nintendo wants to recreate the success with the Wii U, then the only way is to continue being the cheapest next-gen console out there (if it sets out to recapture the core audience along with the casual),

And besides, if they want to make meat out of the 360 and the PS3 while they're still in the market when it launches, the Wii U'll have to target incredibly lower price points, which I think is impossible given the supposed specs AND it's bloody tablety controller, unless it goes for a loss for every Wii U sold. (Investors disapprove) Plus that price point HAS to last till the 720 and PS4 come out (haven't heard of a console upping its price after being in the market for years), so if it opts to go for the money-draining option it has to have the money to keep losing. Risky, I'll say.

So I think cutting corners'll probably the way out for now. Hope that in doing so they don't recreate widespread hardware problems.

(To be really frank I think that the invention of the tablet controller was an arrow in the knee for Nintendo, if they wanted to keep its console in the forerun with an affordable price then the tablet would probably an outright contradiction, but who knows?)

ninty will do just fine and the wiiu will likely cost $299 at launch.

spurgeonryan said:
bobgamez said:

edit holy crap that article scared me lol, Im glad he is talking about the current wii and not the launch. And yeah, no s*** its going to be more expensive, its a 100 bucks right now at a lot of retailers. Id expect it to be much more expensive.

I know right? What the hell is he talking about in that interview? He had to have meant when the wii first came out, because anyone knows that it would be over 99 bucks!

I think the main thing to take from it is that he said tech gurus who buy the latest thing will fork out their money, and the rest will buy the Wii or something else.

Which goes back to the whole Wii and Wii U coexisting thread on Vgchartz.

2 points.

1. to keep cost down, gamers will likely have to pay for the hardrive seperate.

2. i seriourly doubt ninty has developed the type of ego Sony had thinking $599 concole. it's a mistake ninty are to something not to make.